Hello!
    I just bought a new iPhone 3G. (WEll, got it, bought it like, 3 weeks ago)

And I used to go to modmymoto.com because I used to have a motorola Razr.

However, with the iPhone I'm having a bit of a hesitation, and I'd like to know a few things.

1. Will jailbreaking my iPhone void my warranty?
    2. Is jailbreaking irreversible?
    3. I've been looking for the program like, pocketguitar and Drummer (Big musician) and I can't find them, and if I do end up jailbreaking my device, I'd love to have those, can someone guide me to great applications?

Thanks in advance!
    2008-08-06 12:14 AM
    Yes, jailbreaking voids the warranty.

Yes, its reversible.

Search....there are tons on apps.
    2008-08-06 01:14 AM
    If it voids the warranty, but it's reversible.
    Would they know?
    2008-08-06 04:11 AM
    I doubt it if you DFU restore to a stock firmware in iTunes.

I got my start modding Motos( V3, V3i, V3xx). I probably read these forums for a month before even buying my iPhone then another month before jailbreaking it. Now I'm so hooked on some apps not on the apps store and my custom icons, categories menus I' still on 1.1.4 although I just jailbroke my sons new 3G. He only likes his custom look and is happy with stock apps plus AIM and Facebook from the app store.

Coming from motor, the iPhone is a piece of cake. Youwill read a lot of posts about people bricking their phones but in reality, its soo
    OST impossible to brick an iPhone. A restore in iTunes will just about fix anything. Just that you hsve to redo the jailbreak and mods if you do restore. No monsterpacks unfortunatly. Stll easy to reinstall everything though.
    If you are a legit ATT or other official carrier and do not need to unlock all the easier.
    Happy modding!
    2008-08-06 04:29 AM
    Alright, I'm gonna do it.
    Could someone guide me in the right direction?

I have a iPhone 3G (2.0)
    I read some guides and stuff on WinPwn but I'm still kinda scared :/
    I don't know if I should downgrade or just do this:
    http://-SOMETHINGHERE.COM/how-to-new...-20-jailbreak/
    Last edited by bonkcore; 2008-08-06 at 06:54 AM.
    2008-08-06 04:33 AM
    There is no downgrade for a 3G. But yes, follow the directions on post #1.
    To summarize:
    Make sure you have the latest iTunes. Download the latest Winpwn if you haven't already. Run Winpwn, Browse ipsw, click on the 2.0 stock firmware file, make sure it is not the new update. The best best is to download it off the first post on this thread. run ipsw builder. Only check off "install Cydia". Under the custom boot logo tab, you may choose a custom boot and restore logo if you like, its optional. Do not do anything under custom payloads, Under advanced tab, make sure everything is unchecked. let the ipsw save with its default name. When Winpwn is done, click on iPwner. Load the new custom firmware file you just built. When you see the message that your iTunes has been pwned, you can close Winpwn. Put your phone in DFU mode per the instructions on post #1. If you see the restore logo you are NOT in DFU mode. You must see a blank BLACK screen. Now in iTunes, when your iPhone is recognized, do shift/restore and point to the new custom firmware file you just made in Winpwn. Let iTunes do its thing. Your phone should reboot and you will now have the Cydia icon on your screen. Press the Cydia icon and let it load. Install all upgrades.

Entire process only takes about 10-15 min.
    2008-08-06 03:36 PM
    Follow this guide for jailbreaking with winpwn. Jailbreaking your iPhone 3G on Windows - Hacking - iPhone - Whirlpool Broadband Forums In the tutorial it gives you gives you a download of a custom firmware and a custom recovery file. If I were you I would build my own custom FW with WinPwn but you do need to perform step 2 and replace your recovery file with the patched one. If you are an ATT customer make sure that when you create your ipsw that the only item checked is Cydia. "Activate" is checked by default but you do not want it. Make sure to uncheck it or you will end up with a phone with no call service.
    Dirty as I wanna be!
    2008-08-06 03:46 PM
    Yesterday WinPwn crashed after I "pwnd" my iTunes.
    And so it wouldn't load the custom firmware, and I ended up having to restore, and update to 2.0.1 Is that a problem? Or does it still count as 2.0?
    2008-08-06 10:32 PM
    Yesterday WinPwn crashed after I "pwnd" my iTunes.
    And so it wouldn't load the custom firmware, and I ended up having to restore, and update to 2.0.1 Is that a problem? Or does it still count as 2.0?
    Yes,you are stuck at 2.0.1 for the time being now. As far as I know there is no way to downgrade back to 2.0 with a 3G iPhone because the new software updates your baseband and there is no known solution to downgrade the baseband on a 3G. There should be a jailbreak solution coming soon for FW 2.0.1 so just hang tight until then.

Just for reference. You did not have to update to 2.0.1. When you had to restore you should have shift+clicked restore and picked the original 2.0 firmware that you downloaded.
    Dirty as I wanna be!
    2008-08-06 10:43 PM
    Winpwn needs a lot of PC memory. It is very laggy on my laptop with 1GB ram. The first few times I tried building a custom IPSW Winpwn sould crash on me, I shut down all unnecessary background processes and it was able to complete but it was laggy.
    2008-08-07 01:13 AM
    ok thx. ill wait for 2.0.1 JB
    2008-08-07 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD