What firmware was your iPhone OTB?

I had this same problem in January... getting the 1604 error, 1011 error, and having the damn thing constantly tell me I couldn't make / receive calls and to call Apple support. I wasted almost an entire weekend screwing around with it. I even started a post just like yours offering $$ if someone could help me! Finally what fixed my problem was to install 1.0.0 firmware, then 1.0.1, then 1.0.2, etc. all the way up to 1.1.2 (I think that's what was current at the time) Before starting this process I used ZiPhone to refurbish.

I don't think you can do this if your phone has the 4.6 BL. So the phone would have to be 1.1.1 or less OTB I think... can't remember when the new boot loader arrived. Bottom line: If you can try this, then I would. It fixed my phone in the end. Good luck!
    But my problem is that when I upgraded to 2.0, the baseband got updated.
    2008-08-06 09:33 PM
    as a last resort

just take it to the apple store and restore it. you can even be discrete and just dock and restore and leave. You don't have to go to genius bar or ask anyone for permission
    2008-08-06 09:35 PM
    But my problem is that when I upgraded to 2.0, the baseband got updated.
    Ahh, sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you couldn't reverse the process. I unloaded my first iPhone before I got my 3G, so I never dealt with the 2.0 upgrade.
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!
    2008-08-06 09:48 PM
    So, is there nothing I can do now? Apple won't even look at it because I never activated it.
    2008-08-06 10:38 PM
    When I put it in DFU mode on my Mac, it gets stuck on preparing iPhone for restore. I get the 1604 error. On a PC though, it goes through though and goes back to recovery mode. Once, I got it locked in 1.1.4 with the itunes logo, no wifi, bluetooth or signal, and on the emergeny screen. When on Kiphone it told me I need a secular pack on the iPhone and I had to put it in recovery mode again or nothing would happen.
    I suspect the ipsw file you usingry downloading a fresh one you can find them on this site in the download section under firmware. I've bee in all sorts of problems on mine but nevr bricked it yet, DFU is my friend Good Luck
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked
    2008-08-06 10:44 PM
    Error 1604 may occur when your folder "device support" has a file in it. Go into user/library/device support and make sure it is empty. Then restart your custom firmware using pwnage tool on mac. DFU mode (just follow the steps on the program) I do recommend that your phone not be plugged in when you build the custom firmware. Once the firmware is built, pwnage will prompt you to plug your iphone, follow the steps and you should be good. Use iTunes 7.7. Make sure you option-click the restore button. For the firmware, make sure you are in expert mode and that you click the upgrade bootloader and upload both 3.9 and 4.6 bin files. If it has already been done, the iphone will tell the firmware to skip it as it would already have been done. Choose the option "never been pwned before" and let pwnage build your custom firmware. Make sure you have the proper 2.0 firmware restore.

OK, here is what you need to do if you have an iphone 2G with 3.9 bootloader and unlocked using ziphone. Therefore, never been pwned.
    -First, connect your current iphone to itunes. Back up everything. (Sync your accounts).
    -Next, go into user/library/itunes and create a folder named "device support". If its already there, then delete everything in it.
    -Now download the proper 2.0 ipsw file from this forum.
    -Donwload the 3.9 and 4.6 bin files from this forum.
    -Place everything on your desktop.
    -Download Pwnge 2.0
    -Open up pwnge 2.0
    -Select the first option (iphone) but in expert mode
    -browse your computer to locate the 2.0 ipsw file.
    -Next in general tab, use enable baseband update
    -In bootloader, checkmark the box for update the bootloader and checkmark upgrade to 4.6.
    -Finally, pick build and hit the next button.
    -Pwnage will ask you to locate both the 3.9 and 4.6 bin files. Locate them manually (Make sure they were unzipped first)
    -Then it will ask you to find a location to save the new custom ipsw file.
    -Hit save and Pwnage will build the custom firmware in the selected saved location.
    -Pwnage will ask you for your administrative password to finalize the process.
    -Once the process is done, you will get a prompt telling you to plus in your iphone using your usb.
    -Follow the steps on screen to put your phone into DFU mode.
    -Pwnage will tell you it successfully found your phone in DFU mode
    -Next, close Pwnage and open up Itunes.
    -Option click the restore button and locate your new custom firmware.
    -Let itunes do its thing.
    -Once the process is done, your iphone will boot into 2.0 software but don't touch it yet.
    -Bootloader will do its thing by flashing your iphone to the proper baseband (4.6)
    -Do not touch your computer while this is happening even if Itunes is asking you to set up a new iphone.
    -Once the flashing has been done, your phone will be unlocked, activated and jailbroken.
    -If you have two macs like I do, I did the pwnage on one and had my back up on another.
    -Plug in your iphone and itunes should tell you to restore your phone with previous settings (contacts, pictures etc.)
    -Choose, restore and let the iphone get all of your data back.
    -You will notice a new tab for application.
    -Checkmark "sync all applications".
    -Get your apps from the itunes store.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me @ [email protected]

Using Rogers in Canada and the pwnage 2.1 worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by satch2501; 2008-08-06 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-06 11:27 PM
    Error 1604 may occur when your folder "device support" has a file in it. Go into user/library/device support and make sure it is empty. Then restart your custom firmware using pwnage tool on mac. DFU mode (just follow the steps on the program) I do recommend that your phone not be plugged in when you build the custom firmware. Once the firmware is built, pwnage will prompt you to plug your iphone, follow the steps and you should be good. Use iTunes 7.7. Make sure you option-click the restore button. For the firmware, make sure you are in expert mode and that you click the upgrade bootloader and upload both 3.9 and 4.6 bin files. If it has already been done, the iphone will tell the firmware to skip it as it would already have been done. Choose the option "never been pwned before" and let pwnage build your custom firmware. Make sure you have the proper 2.0 firmware restore.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me @ [email protected]

Using Rogers in Canada and the pwnage 2.1 worked flawlessly.
    Did everything you said(or tried to), but got stuck at Preparing iPhone Software again Error 1604. The only thing I couldn't do on that list was manually select the bln46 and bl39 files because PWNAGE tool didn't ask me, it just picked them up from my downloads folder I assume.

2008-08-06 11:54 PM
    No, you need to restart pwnage tool and manually select the ipsw file (in expert mode even if it automatically finds it for you), then in the upgrade bootloader and in bootneuter, upgrade baseband, you should be prompted for the bin files. Once this is done, build the ipsw file. Make sure that you have deleted anything that is in the device support folder. If you are on pc, there are two places where this file may be. I can't remember exactly where but look it up with search. On a mac its in user/library/itunes and there should be a folder named device support. If its not there created it and don't put nothing in it. If the folder is not there and you try to build and restore, you will get error 1604.

Jon

Look this up:

iTunes Error 1604 | the life of david volz

Jon
    Last edited by satch2501; 2008-08-07 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-07 01:52 AM
    If you're phone got error 1101 before and you kicked it our of recovery mode then you're almost there. What firmware are you trying to end up with? If 2.0 then do as above and restore using a custom firmware. If 1.1.4 you need to use kiphone to ierase the baseband and then restore to 1.1.4 AGAIN and then use iLiberty (or whatever) to jailbreak/unlock.
    2008-08-07 02:02 AM
    If you're phone got error 1101 before and you kicked it our of recovery mode then you're almost there. What firmware are you trying to end up with? If 2.0 then do as above and restore using a custom firmware. If 1.1.4 you need to use kiphone to ierase the baseband and then restore to 1.1.4 AGAIN and then use iLiberty (or whatever) to jailbreak/unlock.
    When I use Kiphone an error message comes up on the iPhone telling me I need a secular pack for this firmware?
    2008-08-07 03:32 AM
    That doesn't make sense.. if you're on firmware 1.1.4 and you're using the CORRECT version of kiphone it shouldn't give any errors. You must unzip all the files before running kiphone.
    2008-08-07 03:46 AM
    Okay. Here is what I would do if I had that problem.

-Uninstall iTunes (Including Application data; aka Program Files and where the Firmware updates get downloaded to)
    -Install iTunes
    -Winpwn 2.0 Firmware (Also supply the bootloaders where necessary)
    -Restore firmware DFU style
    -*I believe Ziphone is the culprit of this as it downgrades your bootloader completely instead of "FakeBlanking" it. (From 4.3 to 3.9)

-email me: [email protected] if you have any questions or need more help.
    2008-08-07 03:56 AM
    1604 is usually an issue with the computer, they restarting the computer, and make sure that nothing else is plugged into the USB Ports.
    2008-08-07 04:30 AM
    ok this also happen to me so this is what i did and i know it works cause i did it more then once. Am using Win Xp 1. downgrade to 7.5 itunes 2. find firmware 1.3 isw 3. Open liberty and itunes connect phone put you're phone DMU should show black screen and you will hear the itune sound 4. you will get the pop up saying your phone is in restoe mode click ok but update 5. hit shift & restore look for firmware 1.3 wait awhile to it finish so if error 1604 pop up go ahead unplug it and plug it back in and follow the frist step. 6. download kiphone
    check the 2 top boxes and run it wait till finishs 7. now go to liberty and go to advance tab then go to kick out of recovery and wait to finish so when done hit go for it.

Good Luck it work for me several times....
    Last edited by Rolldog; 2008-08-07 at 05:33 AM.
    Code:
    2008-08-07 05:31 AM
    Well KiPhone on Mac just gets stuck at the Attept... line of command on my iPhone.. Im going to try Rolldog's method tomorrow. Im dead tired, and have spent my life over the past 2 days trying to get this to work. I stayed inside all day trying to figure this out and no luck. I know you all helped so thank you, but this is hopeless
    2008-08-07 05:59 AM
    Hit me up on MSN AIM or Yahoo, I can fix it, I had the same issues
    2008-08-07 06:04 AM
    After installing new versions of Itunes, restart your comp, this is important.
    2008-08-07 06:40 AM
    I've tried to fix this exact same issue. non of the suggetions above worked because each time ziphone, kiphone, all of them would be expecting certain data, but it wasn't there. From what i read on other forums the Boot Loader got corrupted. Any kind of baseband flash or upgrade downgrade got stuck because the boot loader was messed up. The only way I've read is to use ienew (run from mobile terminal) and iunew. To run the latter you have to open the back of the phone and connect test points.

Make sure you try all the listed suggestions and follow them to the T. The methods usually work. But if you have a corrupt boot loader, it'll be really ugly. The fact that kiphone was telling you incorrect sec pack - waiting for data. makes me think you have the same issue I encountered. When the jailbreak process is running, do you notice it says "bad calibration tree" or something like that? I think that means your BL is corrupt. (or something else is really messed up). Seems to be a common theme for people that claim none of the above listed solutions work for them.

I've taken a handful of phones from 2.0 down to 1.1.4 and back to 2.0 successfully, but 1 out of like 6 phones gave me this issue that i could never resolve.
    2008-08-07 08:00 AM
    just restore to 1.1.3 jailbreak active and unlock with ziphone 3.0 then run ZiPhoneOSX patched by kIREmK 04.05.04_G [En] 2 and that will work.. mine was having the same issue,(no imei no wifi no iccid no modem firmware, bad calibration tree or something like that) Cus i updated to 2.0 by mistake but i just follow this steps and fixed it

1 Recovery Mode
    2- Restore to 1.1.3 ( it gave me error 1012) or something at first
    3- boot normal (use ibrickr or Ziphone to get the phone out of recovery)
    4 unlock, Jailbreak, Active with Ziphone 3.0 or any other program
    5- use ZiPhoneOSX patched by kIREmK 04.05.04_G *THIS PROGRAM FIXED IT download here http://www.51spsoft.com/DownInfoEn/info29396.html
    6- Go to settings and click reset network settings
    7- Enjoy

*ZiPhone patched by kIREmK (04.05.02_G) this is the rewrite of the foreign friends ZiPhone break, designed to erase 04.05.01 and 04.05.02 Modem (the support 3.9/4.6 BL).
    If you brush the iPhone in Modem failed, no WIFI, Bluetooth, with ITUNES prompt resumption of error 1012, prompted Fanchang maintenance, use this tool, you can erase the existing Modem, you need to use iTunes restore the firmware
    let me know if that fix your phone
    Last edited by theo5620; 2008-08-07 at 01:00 PM.
    2008-08-07 12:45 PM
    I've tried to fix this exact same issue. non of the suggetions above worked because each time ziphone, kiphone, all of them would be expecting certain data, but it wasn't there. From what i read on other forums the Boot Loader got corrupted. Any kind of baseband flash or upgrade downgrade got stuck because the boot loader was messed up. The only way I've read is to use ienew (run from mobile terminal) and iunew. To run the latter you have to open the back of the phone and connect test points.

Make sure you try all the listed suggestions and follow them to the T. The methods usually work. But if you have a corrupt boot loader, it'll be really ugly. The fact that kiphone was telling you incorrect sec pack - waiting for data. makes me think you have the same issue I encountered. When the jailbreak process is running, do you notice it says "bad calibration tree" or something like that? I think that means your BL is corrupt. (or something else is really messed up). Seems to be a common theme for people that claim none of the above listed solutions work for them.

I've taken a handful of phones from 2.0 down to 1.1.4 and back to 2.0 successfully, but 1 out of like 6 phones gave me this issue that i could never resolve.
    Yes, actually I did get a notification telling me I have an "invalid calibration tree". So what could this mean?
    2008-08-07 02:52 PM
42 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD