1). Dev Team's 1.1.3 upgrade works GREAT - except for #2.

2). Dev Team's upgrade leaves a 185MB file in app memory that leaves us 4MB free.

3). Currently, NO solutions to this have been posted (that work). Not Boss' file remover in the installer, nor does using ibrickr or SSH to check the files turn up anything that can be deleted.

4). Nobody can seem to find the large file that's taking up all the space.

5). HELP! But for the fact that there's no way to clear out app memory (thus you can't hardly install any apps), this 1.1.3 jailbreak is PERFECT.

PLEASE DO NOT HIJACK THE THREAD with non-memory-1.1.3-devteam issues. This isn't for the NATE jailbreak or any other issue. It's not for EDGE problems or ANYTHING BUT THE MEMORY PROBLEM.
    2008-01-28 11:42 PM
    As far as I've read this is an Apple issue - they ought to fix it.
    I'm not 100% sure but since January the 18th the talk about it in the Apple Discussion Forum.
    2008-01-28 11:50 PM
    As far as I've read this is an Apple issue - they ought to fix it.
    I'm not 100% sure but since January the 18th the talk about it in the Apple Discussion Forum.
    2008-01-28 11:56 PM
    You should include the Nate True Jailbreak as we have the same missing memory.
    I suspect as above the new firmware is a using much more memory than previous. Perhaps to accommodate the framework for upcoming SDK.

I noticed a few things while mucking about in my phone with SSH.
    In the library there is a folder called fonts and it is some >80 mb. Within it was a font cache holding 46 of those mb. I decided to try deleting (backup folder first) the font cache to free up some memory but it made my system unstable.

I am suspecting as the phone has gone more international there are multi language fonts keyboard and other settings that are eating up valuable memory. I wonder if someone could work on a language uninstall app for those of us that don't need german italian......
    Might be a way to gain space.
    2008-01-29 12:06 AM
    I've noticed root.zip and youtube.zip files in the /var/root directory. Do we need those after the soft update process is complete?
    2008-01-29 01:16 AM
    How do you check the available memory?
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB
    2008-01-29 01:20 AM
    Is this why my installer crashes when i try to install new apps?
    2008-01-29 01:35 AM
    This isn't an Apple issue - Nate's jailbreak upgrade has a cleaner that removes the install file.

So no, this thread shouldn't have a thing to do with Nate's jailbreak. Unless you're willing to do the convoluted baseband thing, that process equally flawed (no iTunes previews or songs, etc).
    2008-01-29 03:28 AM
    This isn't an Apple issue - Nate's jailbreak upgrade has a cleaner that removes the install file.

So no, this thread shouldn't have a thing to do with Nate's jailbreak. Unless you're willing to do the convoluted baseband thing, that process equally flawed (no iTunes previews or songs, etc).
    2008-01-29 03:29 AM
    From hackint0sh.org:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/show...&postcount=536

"I may have found an interesting solution for the "not 300MB" problem. It's also a little weird to explain -- I'll try to explain what I think is going on.

First of all, the partition in which the root filesystem lies is 300MB. Even though the root filesystem was overwritten with a smaller filesystem (279MB or whatever it was) the upper partition boundary is still at 300MB -- the partition boundary wouldn't be changed when the JB script dd'ed the image to the partition area. The OS should see this. If we run an fsck on the filesystem, the FS check should notice this discrepancy and modify the filesystem accordingly -- basically, fsck will think that the filesystem is incorrectly reporting its capacity because the partition capacity is higher. It's also a wise thing for this "error" to be fixed, as it's possible for files to get written "incorrectly" (I ran into this) -- I was wondering why df was reporting my filesystem size as 300MB, although I was getting a number of invalid extent errors when attempting to run fsck. Files were getting written outside the FS boundary but within the partition boundary. After running fsck in write mode I found my free space was being reported differently now, which means it wasn't reported correctly before (in this case it should be more, like mine did -- it was previously off by about 10-20MB, even though my capacity was reported as 300MB).

I actually had this happen on a Mac OS machine a while back when I was trying to manually grow an hfs partition. I didn't actually find a utility to do the grow process, but I had already modified the partition to a larger size. A run of fsck fixed that. Really weird, but it was fine from there.

Ok, I'm gonna give the commands to do this. This did work for me, although I can't guarantee it will work for you. If it messes something up, not much I can do, but there isn't any good reason I can think of that it should -- fsck is generally pretty safe. I'd advise that you do this on a freshly 1.1.3'ed phone, meaning all you have is Installer, BSD, and OpenSSH installed. If you've already installed anything else, uninstall it for now -- it might cause the fsck to fail if it sees some really weird stuff like mine did.

SSH into the phone, run the following commands:

mount -o remount,ro /
    fsck -fy
    reboot

Basically, the remount,ro flag on the mount command remounts the root FS as read-only so we can run fsck in write mode, fsck -fy forces the FS check, and then we'll need to reboot, since the filesystem would be inconsistent to what the OS thinks it knows. After reboot, everything should be ok, and the FS should correctly report as 300MB, all with your extra free space. After reboot, you can run the first two commands again to make sure there are no more errors on your FS, and then run "mount -o remount,rw /" to make your FS writable again, if there are no more errors. If you had more errors fixed again, reboot again from this point, although fsck should have had everything fixed the first time. Post here if this works for you -- it did for me."
    2008-01-29 03:47 AM
    From hackint0sh.org:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/show...&postcount=536

"I may have found an interesting solution for the "not 300MB" problem. It's also a little weird to explain -- I'll try to explain what I think is going on.

First of all, the partition in which the root filesystem lies is 300MB. Even though the root filesystem was overwritten with a smaller filesystem (279MB or whatever it was) the upper partition boundary is still at 300MB -- the partition boundary wouldn't be changed when the JB script dd'ed the image to the partition area. The OS should see this. If we run an fsck on the filesystem, the FS check should notice this discrepancy and modify the filesystem accordingly -- basically, fsck will think that the filesystem is incorrectly reporting its capacity because the partition capacity is higher. It's also a wise thing for this "error" to be fixed, as it's possible for files to get written "incorrectly" (I ran into this) -- I was wondering why df was reporting my filesystem size as 300MB, although I was getting a number of invalid extent errors when attempting to run fsck. Files were getting written outside the FS boundary but within the partition boundary. After running fsck in write mode I found my free space was being reported differently now, which means it wasn't reported correctly before (in this case it should be more, like mine did -- it was previously off by about 10-20MB, even though my capacity was reported as 300MB).

I actually had this happen on a Mac OS machine a while back when I was trying to manually grow an hfs partition. I didn't actually find a utility to do the grow process, but I had already modified the partition to a larger size. A run of fsck fixed that. Really weird, but it was fine from there.

Ok, I'm gonna give the commands to do this. This did work for me, although I can't guarantee it will work for you. If it messes something up, not much I can do, but there isn't any good reason I can think of that it should -- fsck is generally pretty safe. I'd advise that you do this on a freshly 1.1.3'ed phone, meaning all you have is Installer, BSD, and OpenSSH installed. If you've already installed anything else, uninstall it for now -- it might cause the fsck to fail if it sees some really weird stuff like mine did.

SSH into the phone, run the following commands:

mount -o remount,ro /
    fsck -fy
    reboot

Basically, the remount,ro flag on the mount command remounts the root FS as read-only so we can run fsck in write mode, fsck -fy forces the FS check, and then we'll need to reboot, since the filesystem would be inconsistent to what the OS thinks it knows. After reboot, everything should be ok, and the FS should correctly report as 300MB, all with your extra free space. After reboot, you can run the first two commands again to make sure there are no more errors on your FS, and then run "mount -o remount,rw /" to make your FS writable again, if there are no more errors. If you had more errors fixed again, reboot again from this point, although fsck should have had everything fixed the first time. Post here if this works for you -- it did for me."
    2008-01-29 03:48 AM
    This is what I get:

-sh-3.2# mount -o remount,ro /
    -sh: Last: command not found
    -sh-3.2# fsck -fy
    -sh-3.2# -sh-3.2# mount -o remount,ro /
    -sh-3.2# fsck -fy
    ** /dev/rdisk0s1
    ** Root file system
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    ** Detected a case-sensitive catalog.
    -sh: -sh-3.2#: command not found
    Invalid node structure
    -sh-3.2# -sh-3.2# fsck -fy
    ** /dev/rdisk0s1
    ** Root file system
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    ** Detected a case-sensitive catalog.
    Invalid node structure
    (8, 0)
    ** Volume check failed.
    /dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
    -sh: -sh-3.2#: command not found
    -sh-3.2# ** /dev/rdisk0s1
    -sh: Library: command not found
    -sh-3.2# ** Root file system
    -sh-3.2# ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    -sh-3.2# ** Detected a case-sensitive catalog.
    -sh-3.2# Invalid node structure
    -sh: Invalid: command not found
    -sh-3.2# (8, 0)
    -sh: 8,: command not found
    -sh-3.2# ** Volume check failed.
    -sh-3.2# /dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
    -sh: syntax error near unexpected token `hfs'
    -sh-3.2#T

...And Bosstool still says 4MB free out of 266 on "/"
    Last edited by pixelator; 2008-01-29 at 05:25 AM.
    2008-01-29 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD