I can confirmed this now that I have a OTB 1.1.3 That this 185mb does not exist once the DEV TEAM official jailbreak method finished on the soft upgrade leaving you with a 7.0gb available on itunes v 7.6.

The OTB 1.1.3 LEGIT activated not jailbroken also have the 7.0gb available on itunes. while on your iphone settings-->general-->about-->available listed at 7.1gb Which is the SAME AFTER the soft upgrade 1.1.3 by the DEV TEAM

I am now tryng to jailbreak it

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES
    2008-02-05 05:56 PM
    I would bet my 2 cents that in a near future the Installer will operate on secondary partition, using an index file of some sort to keep trace of installed applications through upgrades, and this will terminate that issue once and for all.
    2008-02-05 11:22 PM
    Is there still any method to clear out the space that is taken by 185 mb. I know it was created during the upgrade to 1.1.3, but none the less it is taking space on the phone. Is there any way to clear out that partition so it can be used for 3rd party apps.
    2008-02-06 05:42 PM
    One thing I've noticed and I don't know if this has anything to do with the space problem. When I use iphonebrowser or winscp I still see files from 1.1.2 version.I have unistalled most all 3rd party apps. When i shh I still see them all there. Some have folders in it and some don't. Like Aloha software still has the aqwa theme in it with all the battery dialer caculator images in it. It seems to have installed 1.1.3 upgrade and did not remove any of the old files from 1.1.2 or older? Check it out and see if thats the way with everyone.
    2008-02-06 07:58 PM
    Is there still any method to clear out the space that is taken by 185 mb. I know it was created during the upgrade to 1.1.3, but none the less it is taking space on the phone. Is there any way to clear out that partition so it can be used for 3rd party apps.
    There is no 185MB of space being taken up. It's phantom space reported by iTunes 7.6. This happens even with legit AT&T customers upgrading through iTunes. It's an issue with iTunes. There is nothing to delete or cleanup because that missing space is not real. Just ignore it and move on.
    Last edited by imode; 2008-02-07 at 12:19 PM.
    2008-02-07 07:35 AM
    There is no 185MB of space being taken up. It's phantom space reported by iTunes 7.6. This happens even with legit AT&T customers upgrading through iTunes. It's an issue with iTunes. There is nothing to delete or cleanup because that missing space is not real. Just ignore it and move on.
    So what have ppl been deleting earlier in this thread?
    2008-02-07 10:10 PM
    Its a conspiracy!
    2008-02-07 10:58 PM
    I agree with you imode69, here is why...

I updated my phone to 1.1.3 using itunes 7.6 and have a whopping 350 MB in OTHER(Capacity in itunes)

I also did my wifes, on her laptop with itunes 7.4 and she has 20 mb in OTHER.

Just my 2 cents.
    2008-02-08 12:16 AM
    The 185 does seem to be a screwup of iTunes. If you go on putty and do a df -h you will notice that you have about 185Megs more in /private/var then iTunes sees free. Basically I filled my device until iTunes said zero free and then did a df -h and there was still about 180ish free, so I think iTunes is confused....

Now, something VERY interesting about 1.1.3 and the 'official' jailbreak can been seen/read here...

http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/...ak-113-issues/

in a nut shell the first version DID screw up the partition (as I mentioned before), it was fixed in 1.1.3-2, but there was a problem with HardResets that would cause the system to become corrupt, requiring you to do a complete RESTORE back to 1.1.1 .... this JUST happened to me, so if you did an old method WATCH OUT .... you might want to consider going to a 1.1.3-3 to fix a bunch of problems (read the article), before you are 'forced'
    2008-02-08 06:42 AM
    Either the leftover files from a 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 jailbreak or the from the Nate's upgrade method.
    2008-02-09 08:17 AM
    Do we still need the /var/disk0s1.dd after the jailbreak is done? Its huge and I only have 6 MB left.

After hours of reading, I realized, there is no help on this. I started to look around. I figured out a little part of the problem. BossTool does work on the dev soft JB.

So you have to manually move the fonts doing this....

SSH into the phone and first manually move the Applications folder as described previously on this thread (if you have not done it already).

cd /System/Library
    cp -Rp Fonts /private/var/root/Fonts
    rm -rf Fonts
    ln -s /private/var/root/Fonts

cd /Library
    cp -Rp Ringtones /private/var/root/Ringtones
    rm -rf Ringtones
    ln -s /private/var/root/Ringtones

reboot

This will free up about 85-100+ MB for you.

So, yes, there is no 185MB file to delete, just manually move the 3 folders and free up space.
    Last edited by Rajputro; 2008-02-12 at 09:38 PM. Reason: updated
    2008-02-12 05:55 AM
71 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD