After days of updating and downgrading I decided to post this troubleshooting guide with everything that I've learned to try and help everyone else out. This is a compendium of a lot of things so browse to see if any of these apply to your issues:
    INSTALLER CRASHES
    iTUNES SAYA "THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR iPHONE"
    ON UNJAILBROKEN 1.1.3 AND WANT JAILBROKEN 1.1.3
    AFTER UPGRADING ALL MY STUFF IS ORANGE/OTHER IN iTUNES
    RESTORE or UPDATE?
    UPGRADED TO 1.1.3 BUT I CAN'T ADD MORE APPs

INSTALLER CRASHES
    If for some reason your Installer crashes everytime you try and open it (white screen pulls up, stays up for a few seconds, and then closes), you're pretty much screwed. You can either stay where you are and not be able to use Installer ever again, or go through the whole Restore to 1.1.1/Jailbreak/Upgrade to 1.1.2/Jailbreak/Upgrade to Jailbroken 1.1.3(R-JUJU) process again.
    I've searched all over and have found no fix anywhere for a crashed Installer. I've had my Installer crash after an upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and from updating Installer from v3.0b04 to v3.0b10.

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR iPHONE
    I got this message on iTunes after using the Dev Team's first and second "Official 1.1.3 Upgrader" (on four separate occasions). I believe it has something to do with the fact that whether you wanted Hactivation or not, you got it. Therefore your phone won't work with iTunes any more, so you can't sync it.
    If you have everything on your phone that you wanted, then you're probably fine. Otherwise you'll need to R-JUJU again and while on 1.1.2 sync your phone and put everything on it that you want and then upgrade to 1.1.3, OR R-JUJU and this time I'd suggest trying NateTrue's upgrade until the Dev Team can fix this. I've emailed the Dev Team to let them know about it.
    BEWARE!!! If you Reboot your phone (hold Power and Home until it restarts) you'll probably end up getting into Recovery mode (screen shows USB cable into iTunes symbol). You're pretty much hosed. I've not been able to use anything to get out of this Recovery mode (iBrickr, iFuntastic, DFU, etc).
    ***Since iTunes gives you this message it doesn't have any buttons for Restore or Update. What you'll need to do is reboot your phone (hold Power and Home until the screen goes black) then let go of Power but KEEP HOLDING HOME until iTunes pops up a message saying that it detects a phone in Recovery mode. Your phone's screen will be black. This is DFU mode.

ON UNJAILBROKEN 1.1.3 AND WANT JAILBROKEN 1.1.3
    You can't just downgrade a regular 1.1.3 down to 1.1.1 and jailbreak and hack from there because 1.1.3 upgrades your baseband. The new baseband doesn't play well at all with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2.
    There's an awesome tutorial on how to downgrade to 1.1.1 and hack back up to a jailbroken 1.1.3 at (http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25695)

AFTER UPGRADING ALL MY STUFF IS ORANGE/OTHER IN iTUNES
    Sometimes when you upgrade your phone forgets what was music/video/etc and categorizes it all as "Other" and assumes that its part of the OS. There's no way to sync it or delete it in iTunes without having to Restore (which wipes out everything and makes you start from scratch).
    BossTool in Installer has a feature called iPod Wipe. This is supposed to wipe out all the files in your Music/Videos/Pictures/Ringtones/Wallpaper folders so that you're back to the normal amount of Other as shown in iTunes and then you should be able to sync from there.
    If for some reason BossTools doesn't work as promised... you're pretty much hosed and will have to R-JUJU again.

RESTORE or UPDATE?
    For the noobs out there... Restore wipes everything off your phone and resets it back to factory defaults (ie: no third party apps, no jailbreak, no SIM unlock, etc). However, Restore fixes many issues that we have with the hacking process.
    When you're doing the whole RJUJU process you will always need to RESTORE to 1.1.1, use iBrickr to boot it, Jailbreak with www.jailbreakme.com, then UPGRADE to 1.1.2, use the Dev's Jailbreak 1.1.2, install BSD Subsystem, Upgrade to Installer v3.0b10 (*the upgrade doesn't take place till you exit Installer, so hit home and let it update it, then go back in to Installer), and then use your upgrade method of choice.

UPGRADED TO 1.1.3 BUT I CAN'T ADD MORE APPs
    In 1.1.3 there are now 2 different partitions on your phone. Unfortunately all of the Apps get added to the smaller of the two. Installer will start downloading your Appand then when it gets to the "Installing packages" phase Installer will crash. This is because you're out of room in that partition.
    You'll need to first uninstall some apps in Installer so that you have room. Then install BossTools. This program will move your Fonts, Ringtones, and Applications to the bigger partition, giving you room to add more Apps.
    ***It's recommended to do your Fonts and Ringtones first and only *if* you need more room after that, to move your Applications. The issue there is that in the move BossTools is supposed to put a link there so that when your phone goes looking for that app in the small partition, the link tells it where to look in the larger partition. However, there have been numerous reports of missing applications (especially the calculator), which means that the links got broken or weren't written. For me personally, I had plenty of room after just moving my Fonts and Ringtones (something like 100M).
    ***If you try and move your Fonts and Ringtones and it goes really quickly and your free space doesn't increase, then your BossTools probably didn't install correctly. You'll need to uninstall it in Installer, and maybe one more App to make sure you have plenty of space, then re-install BossTools and try to move them again.
    2008-01-31 06:10 PM
    Just thought I'd share a problem I've had.

Upgraded from 1.1.2 unlocked to 1.1.3 Jailbroken/Unlocked
    2 days after upgrade my phone crashed - slide to unlock screen froze & phone unresponsive.
    So, I forced a re-boot - held down lock and home for 10sec and let go of both (worked many times before in 1.1.2 to re-boot).
    Seems the phone has entered DFU mode - not sure why this is so. I'm aware that the force re-boot and enter dfu mode are similar commands, the differnce being that for DFU you hold home after you let go of the lock button after 10secs.
    All I get when I try to power up the phone, is the usual apple logo for about 5 seconds, then the iTunes/Cable Icon.
    I wonder is this a bug in 1.1.3?
    Anybody else come across this since updating?
    I'm going to try IBrickr to kick it out of DFU mode. It's annoying though, as it happened me at work, and now have no phone till I can get to a computer. Agggh!
    Will post if iBrickr works...
    2008-01-31 06:25 PM
    yeah, if you're on 1.1.3 and you get the "There is a problem with your iPhone" message in iTunes and the iTunes/Cable screen on your iPhone you're pretty much hosed. iBrickr won't clear the iT/C screen, reboot won't clear it. If you go into DFU I can't get iBrickr or anything else to clear it out of DFU. The only option is to leave it in DFU and iTunes shift/option Restore it to 1.1.1 and go from there.
    I've gotten this with both of Dev's Official Upgraders. I think it's due to the Hacktivation question... that no matter what it hacktivates you and so iTunes will no longer work, and once you plug it into iTunes you get the iT/C screen on your phone till you restore.

Hopefully the Dev team fixes this or MMi puts their App back on Installer (because it actually worked). Has anyone used the Dev's Official Upgrader and said Yes to Hacktivation even with an ATT sim and had it work? should we just do that?
    2008-01-31 07:07 PM
    bump, hopefully people look
    I can't wait until the day after yesterday's tomorrow.
    2008-01-31 08:25 PM
    SELECT YES TO HACKTIVATION
    I have an ATT sim and I do use iTunes to sync... so I've always said no to Hacktivation, and its never worked. I finally said yes to Hacktivation and my upgrade went perfect and i can still sync with iTunes!
    2008-01-31 09:14 PM
    I got past the problem “There is a problem with your iPhone.” after 1.1.3 upgrade.

http://www.huanix.com/2008/01/30/the...r-113-upgrade/

only takes 5 minutes to make it go away now
    2008-01-31 09:18 PM
    I made a softupgrade with sucess to 1.1.3 and nearly everything is working.....but info only shows 1.1.2 and when I will install new 3rd part aplicacions he said you need 1.1....any solucion????
    2008-02-08 10:29 PM
    I made a softupgrade with ofical softupgrade via installer to 1.1.3 and nearly everything is working.....but info only shows 1.1.2 and when I will install new 3rd part aplicacions he said you need 1.1....any solucion????
    2008-02-08 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD