after i upgraded to 1.1.2 on this guide, i did have to boot the phone through ibrickr, then i had a weird error pop up on the phone, it was showing a cable to connect to itunes with the phone in emergency mode, and itunes popped up saying that the phone had an incorrect sim, and thats the first time ive seen that pop up on itunes, i disregarded and pressed on with the tutorial although i must admit i freaked out for a moment, after i jailbroke 1.1.2 everything worked fine from there on, a pretty odd one i must admit
    2008-02-05 05:03 AM
    I tried this over and over again.. Always stuck at the same part.. I successfully jailbreak 1.1.1 install onto and wen I update to 1.1.2 my fone has the connect to iTunes symbol, slide for emergency and incorrect sim... Even after i run thew windows.bat... It shows the same thing on my fone. Springboard isn't accessible. I ended up just updating the normal 1.1.3 with no jailbrokeness...
    2008-02-05 05:20 AM
    UPDATE: So after everything is all said and done, I am now jailbroken and on 1.1.3!!! EffeXTC thank you for this great guide. It saved me a lot of time looking for all this information and you made it very dummy proof. I do think you may need to add something though....

"Jailbreaking 1.1.1

Here, we are going to jailbreak 1.1.1.

1. Slide the Slide for emergency bar to get to the number pad.
    2. Dial *#306# and call, then hang up.
    3. Slide the Slide for emergency bar again."

Between steps 2 and 3 you should let people know that after dialing *#306#, your phone may display the Please Wait... message for a long time. And let people know to just be patient.

Also if anybody has completed this guide recently and everything is working fine (which it should because EffeXTC wrote an amazing guide) and you get an error message " Error package download failed!" when trying to download something from installer, Check this thread out http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29219.

I am currently dealing with the error message myself.

But other than that everything went smooth and once again EffeXTC thank you!!
    I added the "Please wait..." portion to the guide... I'm still researching the Installer "download failed" part.
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.3 Jailbroken

If I helped you out any, please Thank me!
    2008-02-05 05:50 AM
    Hi I followed all the directions up to the Install AppSnapp screen, clicked it and the phone rebooted but I have no installer. It still says I have an invalid SIM and it still shows the emergency call keypad. Help please.
    2008-02-05 05:52 AM
    Will this guide work if I use a AT&T sim card that does not have the legit activation that comes with a 2 yrs contract? IF I wanted to use the existing at&t plan that is not an iphone plan?

If it does, the Hacktivation will activate the phone without getting the invalid sim card message?

Thanks

Great Guide!

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES
    2008-02-05 06:36 AM
    Hi I followed all the directions up to the Install AppSnapp screen, clicked it and the phone rebooted but I have no installer. It still says I have an invalid SIM and it still shows the emergency call keypad. Help please.
    same prob
    2008-02-05 06:53 AM
    Hey, if you get this error while trying to connect to SSH:

"Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended)."

you'll need to log in as root/alpine instead of mobile/alpine.

dunno why. but that'll get you in.
    2008-02-05 07:02 AM
    Thank you!!! I've been trying to jailbreak my phone for a week but every other guide has not worked, thank you!!!!
    2008-02-05 07:17 AM
    thanks! this was a big help, but i needed one more thing
    Java Runtime Environment (JRE) v1.6 (update 3) http://www.java.com/en/
    for the jailbreak to work
    i fond the link on a older walk though
    thanks again
    2008-02-05 07:48 AM
    I used this tutorial a few days ago down to the T. Everything is working perfectly with no known issues that were not solved by your simple little fixes at the end. Note to everyone that is scared to try it just read the directions slowly and fully understand what is being said to do and you should have no problems!! Thanks for the great write up.
    2008-02-05 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the guide. Looks promising!
    Last edited by yhirao; 2008-02-05 at 09:34 AM.
    2008-02-05 09:08 AM
    well I re-jailbroke from Nates back down to 1.1.1 and up to this. No problem at all until I got to the point where I needed to SSH back into the phone. I got this error message after accepted my username and pass:

"Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended)."

For everyone's future reference, in order to fix this issue, you need to log in with the root/alpine combination instead of mobile/alpine.

I don't know why that would have changed, but it did.
    2008-02-05 09:40 AM
    Thank you for the guide. I followed it step by step and had zero problems with the whole process. This was my first attempt at JailBreaking as well
    2008-02-05 10:47 AM
    thanks! this was a big help, but i needed one more thing
    Java Runtime Environment (JRE) v1.6 (update 3) http://www.java.com/en/
    for the jailbreak to work
    i fond the link on a older walk though
    thanks again
    I'm glad I could help ya!

I added the JRE download link to the Requirements section of the guide. Thanks for the tip.

well I re-jailbroke from Nates back down to 1.1.1 and up to this. No problem at all until I got to the point where I needed to SSH back into the phone. I got this error message after accepted my username and pass:

For everyone's future reference, in order to fix this issue, you need to log in with the root/alpine combination instead of mobile/alpine.

I don't know why that would have changed, but it did.
    Just curious, why would you have had to SSH back into the phone in the whole process?

I wondering so I can either add this error/solution to the guide in the right section or finalize another pending error/solution to add.
    Last edited by EffeXTC; 2008-02-05 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2008-02-05 02:36 PM
    I get through this whole process, step by step it works great. After doing the soft upgrade through installer to 1.1.3 I get an activated phone with installer. Then Installer asked to update so I do, then the springboard relaunches and my phone goes into recovery (with the usb cord showing) and iTunes tells me I need to goto an apple store. My phone shows I have AT&T service, but I can't get into the home screen. Reboots of the phone get me to the same spot. I have tried this 3 times and all steps get me to a Jailbroken 1.1.3 phone but no way to get out of recovery...

any ideas?
    2008-02-05 02:39 PM
    I get through this whole process, step by step it works great. After doing the soft upgrade through installer to 1.1.3 I get an activated phone with installer. Then Installer asked to update so I do, then the springboard relaunches and my phone goes into recovery (with the usb cord showing) and iTunes tells me I need to goto an apple store. My phone shows I have AT&T service, but I can't get into the home screen. Reboots of the phone get me to the same spot. I have tried this 3 times and all steps get me to a Jailbroken 1.1.3 phone but no way to get out of recovery...

any ideas?
    Is this only when the phone is connected to iTunes? What happens when you shut it down hard (Power + Home buttons) and boot it back up with out being attached to your computer?

same prob
    You will still have an "Invalid Sim" as far as the iPhone is concerned at that point in the guide. The 1.1.2 firmware isn't compatable with the 1.1.3 baseband. I think that was Apple's way of ensuring that we wouldn't be able to go back to a happy 1.1.2 Jailbroken phone if we went up.

Try shutting the phone down hard (Power + Home buttons), then turning it back on. Is Installer there? If No, then try reinstalling it. If it says that it's already done or jailbroken, start over.
    Last edited by EffeXTC; 2008-02-05 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2008-02-05 02:45 PM
    help please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i didallthe steps u mentioned butwhen i ran the 1.1.3 updatethelast part the phoneis stuck on copying data to system image 66 percentfor about an hour can u please help me
    2008-02-05 03:52 PM
    Nice tut!! I do have another scenario...

I'm an AT&T user and have a jailbroken 1.1.1 (moden firmware 4.01.13_G). Say I want to start from here instead of going up, then back down. Could I:

1. Do the "oktoPrep"
    2. Upgrade to 1.1.2
    3. Jailbreak 1.1.2
    4. Install the BSD subsystem 2
    5. Use the installer for 1.1.3 and (*Say no the the hacktivation*) ?

Would this work? I see no reason in doing more if I don't have to. I have a couple side questions:

1. Would custom ringtones still work?
    2. Would my apps still work?
    3. Most importantly...would my contacts and SMS still be there? I have the sms.db backed up just in case. But I need my contacts(not sure if there is a file to backup).

Thanks for your help! Again it looks like you have the best tutorial to date!
    Last edited by wgr73; 2008-02-05 at 06:10 PM.
    2008-02-05 06:02 PM
    Just curious, why would you have had to SSH back into the phone in the whole process?

I wondering so I can either add this error/solution to the guide in the right section or finalize another pending error/solution to add.
    There are any number of reasons why people would want to know how to SSH into their phone. You can re-add backed up text messages, Web Clips, recent call lists and more.

Plus, since the log in is not the expected mobile/alpine username/pass, it would be good for people to be aware, should they have an issue and need to SSH in to fix it...or if they'd simply like to add something through SSH.
    2008-02-05 06:48 PM
    same prob
    you guys need to realize, it goes back the the invalid sim screen, pauses for about 20-30 seconds, THEN resets automatically. most of you aren't waiting glong enough after you hit install appsnapp
    2008-02-05 07:07 PM
327 ... 4567816 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD