User Tag List

Howdy folks,

Right, lets get this out of the way, I'm an idiot and can't understand what I need to do update my iPhone.

Currently using 16gb 1st gen iPhone (2g model) with version 1.1.3. I don't know how it was unlocked or jailbroken or whatever, that's just how I bought it. I want to update the firmware to 2.0 (if I can).

I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find a post that tells me everything I need to know, or doesn't explain any jargon either.

What do I need to do? What is the baseband and bootloader? (PLEASE explain everything in detail, what to download etc. Treat me like an ignorant f*ck who doesn't know anything about iPhone modding/updating.)

At the very least could someone point me to a post that tells me what I need to do?

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm sure it's probably easier than I think it is.

THANKYOU
    2008-08-16 01:47 AM
    I am not sure if you can do this but I can't see why, if you download a 2.0.0 firmware and put the phone into DFU mode then you can restore the phone to 2.0.0.

Someone please confirm you can do this:
    1. Download 2.0.0 Firmware
    2. Put phone into DFU mode (1. Power phone OFF. 2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds. 3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.)
    3. Hold Shift and click restore button in itunes
    4. Choose the 2.0.0 file and start the restore
    2008-08-16 08:54 PM
    well all you need to do is restore it using itunes. it should automatically update to 2.0.1 then use winpwn or pwnage to jailbreak/unlock again.
    2008-08-16 09:04 PM
    well all you need to do is restore it using itunes. it should automatically update to 2.0.1 then use winpwn or pwnage to jailbreak/unlock again.
    dude u might be able to help me out w/ my question...

i'm running a 3g pwn'd 2.0. all i want to do is upgrade to 2.1 (for the gps stuff) without losing any contacts, apps, or anything like that. please tell me what to do (anyone)

if i bite the bullet and just do what ur telling this guy to do (then reinstall all my apps) are u sure that itunes will upgrade my phone without bricking it!?!? i always thought that doing anything like that would brick my phone!

any help is MUCH appreciated
    2008-08-16 09:26 PM
    100chris, as your iphone is already pwned. All you have to do is sync your iphone so you get all your contacts, apps etc... then build a custom ispw version 2.1 on pwnage or winpwn and use itunes to install the custom pack for you.
    2008-08-16 09:32 PM
    Ok, so I should go into DFU mode, shift click restore with 2.0.1 ispw. Then use winpwn to jailbreak and unlock?
    2008-08-16 11:25 PM
    Svenzy. No... just use winpwn and follow the instructions.

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Pwnage_2.0_Guide
    2008-08-17 07:31 AM
    You can't unlock the iphone on 2.0.1 you can pwn it but not unlock it
    2008-08-17 08:48 AM
    Wrong JamieLee2k. You can unlock iPhone 2g on version 2.01. I have.
    2008-08-17 12:06 PM
    I thought it was 3g, guess I read that wrong
    2008-08-17 05:21 PM
    100chris, as your iphone is already pwned. All you have to do is sync your iphone so you get all your contacts, apps etc... then build a custom ispw version 2.1 on pwnage or winpwn and use itunes to install the custom pack for you.
    (i'm a newb, my apologies if this sounds retarded...)

so basically i'm just going through the whole jailbreak process again, but with the 2.1 ispw? its that easy?!?! is that what i do for all the new firmware releases?

***just to be 100% certain, i was referring to regular & 3rd party apps. the custom 2.1 ispw will put my 3rd party apps on the new jailbroken 2.1 firmware?

thanks for the help
    2008-08-21 04:44 AM
    all i want to do is upgrade to 2.1 (for the gps stuff)
    2.1 isn't out yet, you probably mean 2.0.1 and in that case there was no extra 'gps stuff'.
    2008-08-21 04:49 AM