I can't take this anymore guys, please someone help me. I've lost 6 days over this going on the 7th now. I'm about to break this stupid piece of crap into pieces. I have tried every advice there is, firmware up/down, different itunes, USB ports, PC/Mac, different unlock programs, nothing NOTHING at all works. I'm on borderline desperate here. Last time i saw the working phone was after a custom firmware upgrade the bootloader gave me an error on the iphone, phone worked then except for making calls, then i haven't been able to get on the phone besides DFU/recovery screen.
    2008-08-22 05:25 AM
    What did you do before it went crap? What firmware were you using before, are you unlock, what program did you use, etc? More info.

Oh, and check this out:

iPhone 2.0 coming back from the 1604 error | Staggering through Life

Oh, and check this out:

iPhone 2.0 coming back from the 1604 error | Staggering through Life
    Last edited by cpjr; 2008-08-22 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-22 06:33 AM
    I had firmware 2.0.1 since iTunes restored and updated the iPhone since it was synced on another Mac before that. Then i made a custom firmware with Pwnage Tool which iTunes 7.7.1 successfully restored on the iPhone. Things went sour when the iPhone was loading the bootneuter then it gave me an error on the iphone screen. I then connected it to the computer to restore it again but since then no success, 1604 or 1600 all the time, no matter what version, what firmware i try to load. If iPhone turns on i have pineapple logo and then russian Steve Jobs. I can put it in DFU mode no prob but that's all i can do, ZiPhone is stuck on "searching iPhone" no matter what state its in (recovery or DFU). I tried on everything there was to do, even the page you linked there.
    2008-08-22 06:44 AM
    Gotchya.

Only other thing I have seen work:

1. COMPLETELY DELETE ITUNES (All traces) and install Itunes 7.5

2. Download a fresh copy of firmware 1.1.4 and restore using that firmware.

Thats the only other thing I have heard to work. Good luck.
    2008-08-22 07:15 AM
    Tried that many times, so often that i have the disk images of several versions of iTunes on my computer now. I'm really pissed, i think the custom firmware that i had restored to my iPhone completely messed it up and now is the result of those 1604, it's like it's blocking iTunes from communicating with the phone once the restore is in progress.
    2008-08-22 07:26 AM
    use quickpwn to unlock your iphone
    2008-08-22 01:08 PM
    I had the same problem... until I paid attention to the guide to enter DFU mode.

DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode is not the same as restore mode. DFU mode bypasses the current OS installed and allows you to upgrade or downgrade your OS. If you are getting errors trying to restore in iTunes, DFU mode is very likely for you.

This is how to achieve DFU mode. You can do it on every phone:

Method 1)

Attach the phone to the pc
    Turn the phone off
    Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.

Method 2)

Hook up the phone powered on to the PC
    Now hold home / power until the phone turns off and keep holding for 10 seconds. If the phone ever turns on during this phase,start over and hold for less time.
    Now release power and continue holding home until the PC recognizes the phone.
    I don’t like this method as much because there are “rumors” that it may cause some 1604 errors in the restore. I am not convinced of that though.

Method 3)

Attach the phone to the pc
    Turn the phone off
    Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
    Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.

DFU Mode

I hope this helps.
    iPhone 3G 16GB Hacked MDD Dual G4
    2008-08-22 08:33 PM
    Try this... I'm on a Mac, so I begin by referencing a Mac directory. If you are a Windows user, I include an alternate "Step 1" below as well.

Step 1 for Mac users) Navigate to the folder ~Library/iTunes/Device Support ... For the new Mac users among us, remember that the "~" designates that you start in your home (i.e., yourname) folder on your Mac rather than the several other places where a "Library" folder exists.

Alternate Step 1 for Windows users) Navigate to this subdirectory:
    CDocuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\

Step 2) Delete this file: x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw

Step 3) Run the PwnageTool application. (I used PwnageTool 2.0.2 on the Mac.) Yes, I already had a usable custom firmware file I had made before, but I was doing it again because the process also dutifully recreates the file I deleted in Step 2 when it can't find it there.

Step 4) This is important: In my case, when Pwnage asked me at the end whether I had ever pwn'd my iPhone before (whether I'd seen the pineapple, etc.), rather than click "YES," I clicked "NO." In other words, click "NO" as if this was the first time you've pwn'd your phone.

Step 5) Finish out the pwn'ing by following the prompts in PwnageTool to put your phone in recovery mode, etc.. Then within iTunes, option-restore with the new custom firmware you created.

Voila. The phone restored without the dreaded error. I hope this works for you as well. (Fingers crossed...)

Randy

P.S. Click the thanks button if this helped somebody. Makes me feel like life is worth living after all.
    2008-08-22 10:03 PM
    I will try that last step again, but for the other posters, the DFU i am very familiar with it so that's not the issue here but thanks for the help, it's appreciated as i'm losing it over here.

EDIT: Now i'm kinda stuck on the white screen and sometimes the iPhone is in DFU mode but doesn't want to turn on when the restore starts

Nope i'm stuck on it not going into DFU or it doing it but not turning on when the progress begins, anyone's got any ideas?
    Last edited by BobbyW; 2008-08-23 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-23 02:38 AM
    Ok, Bobby, but you may have missed the point of my post. Please reread it above. Of course you're familiar with DFU mode. The problem is that a particular file has become corrupted (x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw). Please reread my post. I hope the fix works for you as well as it did for me.

Randy
    2008-08-23 04:39 AM
    I have removed it, everytime i restarted this whole process without success.
    Now it's in DFU mode but it doesn't want to startup once the restore process has started, i'm getting desperate here. I have a feeling it's the baseband that making this 1604 error popup.

Thanked you all, i will post the solution soon enough, very busy at work right now.
    Last edited by BobbyW; 2008-08-23 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-23 08:31 PM
    Ok, Bobby, you removed it, but did you REPLACE it with the version that the Pwnage program will create toward the end of the process where it asks if you've ever jailbroken your phone before (and you'll CLICK NO). Please acknowledge that you tried the steps I outlined in my post. It worked for me. I fear that you're not paying close attention, and in the mean time you've lost the use of your phone.
    2008-08-23 08:48 PM
    Randy, i have to told you twice that i read your post, what is the deal here? I haven't lost the use of the phone i got it back in working order except not unlocked as iTunes 7.7.1 doesn't seem to like restoring to a Pwned firmware. Usually when the phone IS in DFU mode and i option-restore with custom firmware, the phone doesn't start loading once the "prepping" iPhone option. I'm on original 2.0 firmware right now.
    2008-08-23 08:57 PM
    Ok, sorry if I'm not getting this across very well. Simply REMOVING the "x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw" file is not good enough. Once you have removed it, you must RECREATE a cracked version using the Pwnage software. (The one that will be created by iTunes won't work for you.) The cracked version is created when Pwnage sees an empty subdirectory and when you answer "NO" to the question regarding whether you have ever jailbroken the phone before. I hope this is clearer for you. I should have added... Once you have created a NEW ipsw file and Pwnage has replaced the original "x12220000_4_Recovery" file with a cracked version, THEN you must restore your phone with iTunes. At that point, your phone should activate for phone service.

Finally, if I'm misreading you, and you have indeed solved your problem already, then great!
    Last edited by Randy; 2008-08-23 at 10:00 PM.
    2008-08-23 09:55 PM
    Yeah i solved it finally today after 1 week of struggle!
    What did it for me was removing a file in the PrivateFramework folder. I'll post some more specifics at another time. I thanked you again by the way.
    2008-08-24 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD