I'm sure many of you have heard of or experienced the "blinking/flashing" apple logo on boot phenomena... Well not only have I yet to find significant literature as to why this occurs, but I haven't been able to find a solution.

My situation may be a bit unique but Iím certain many other hackers may find it interesting.

(Note: I am semi-advanced. Phone was 1.0.2 OTB I believe)

I had upgraded to 1.1.3 and spent some time messing around and modding my phone but with the problems I would get on occasion, I found it to be "not worth it." So... I downgraded the boot loader, baseband and firmware so I had a perfect, stock 1.1.1 phone but that of course wasn't good enough, so I upgraded to and jailbroke 1.1.2. I was working fine until I began installing apps, add-ons to apps and media. At some point, I must have DLd some malicious app that corrupted the system since the problems began after I began modding. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling and other diagnostic methods but haven't been able to resolve the issue.

So... As I said, I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone with many apps and mods and plenty of extra space, on both partitions. When I reboot the phone, I receive the "flashing/blinking" apple logo for about 3-7 seconds before it completes booting. Once the phone is up and running, I can navigate the springboard and open apps but once Iím in any app, be it settings, or the phone, or the ipod, I am unable to scroll or navigate by using the bottom buttons (i.e. contacts, voicemail, artists or albums. As I said, I can't scroll in apps either, so I can't select anything within the apps... It's clearly an issue with the touch screen, once I leave the springboard.

As awkward as it is to begin with, the only way I can fix the issue it so run iDemocracy (I'm on windows XP SP2) and input my ip and issue a reset springboard command. I suppose I could manually do the same via ssh but iDemocracy opens putty and inputs the syntax and executes for me.

I've spend HOURS trying to trace the issue within my head but Iím assuming there could be a problem within the launch files. One question I have for some more advanced users is... Is there an application launcher plist file where I could search for a syntax error or incomplete command? It seems as if booting the phone, which subsequently starts springboard, leaves out an important command, which is correctly executed when the resetting of the springboard command is issued. But why does the apple logo blink? Is that an indication of a missing boot file? Thatís all I can think of.

So any help would be appreciated. And anyone else who has experienced similar issues is welcome to post here. Let's try to solve this one. Thanks everyone.

(Note: The accelerometer works fine too)

Note to admin: if wrong thread please move.
    2008-02-15 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD