Hey all, I'm having some issues getting wifi to work after restoring a 2.1 custom firmware on a 2G iPhone. When 2.0 first released, I tried to use Winpwn to upgrade from 1.1.4. That worked smoothly but I couldn't keep a wifi connection then, in fact, I was lucky to even see anything listed in the wifi list. I downgraded back to 1.1.4 since I was hearing about problems with the new firmware and decided to stick it out until 2.1 released.

I got a custom 2.1 firmware and used iTunes to restore it, and everything is working right with the exception of wifi again, but the story is a little different now than when I upgraded to 2.0. With 2.1, I can find the wifi connection every time. I'm currently connected, the correct IP was automatically assigned from the router, and the correct DNS settings are in place (which were also automatically assigned from the router).

With that said, I can't get any pages to load in safari, YouTube can't find a connection, as is the same story with stocks and weather. However, I can use Maps just fine, I can search for the starbucks in town and load the satellite image. I can see packages in cydia but anything I try to download just stays at a black screen and 15 seconds later it will say "complete", but the app isn't actually installed. I can also search the app store but can't download anything there either.

So now you can see why I'm confused. I used the BootNeuter method listed in "Fixes For Common Jailbreaking Problems." where you change the baseband tab and flash, then change it back and flash, but that hasn't helped. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance =]

Edit:
    I'm using Windows XP, 2G iPhone, and have the phone unlocked for T-Mobile, which making and receiving calls works fine.
    2008-09-13 11:26 PM
    me 2 facing the same problem
    2008-09-22 05:59 PM
    try plugging into itunes, letting it recognize teh iphone and then try to open Safari. Sounds odd but after fooling for 3 days i found this worked. Why, I haven't a clue.
    2008-09-22 06:13 PM
    bump.. I'm getting the exact same problem

However when I use cydia the wifi turns into E

I notice the connection dissappearing after a few seconds but when connected with itunes (8.0) it works until I take it out so what's going on. help?
    2008-09-29 04:19 AM
    Have any of you tried a stock 2.1 restore and seeing if the problem persists?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-09-29 04:21 AM
    Have any of you tried a stock 2.1 restore and seeing if the problem persists?
    I can't use the stock 2.1 since I don't have service with AT&T.

I figured out what my problem was though. I went over to a buddies place who has a Linksys Wireless G router with an open broadcast, and I could connect just fine and everything was flawless while I was there. I came back home and the connection problems continued with my router, which was an old Linksys Wireless B router. I went into my settings and reset everything to the factory default to see if maybe there was a WEP issue, but even with the router wide open with the factory defaults, I couldn't get a real connection. Even gave it a firmware update and still couldn't get anything.

After all was said and done, I went out and got a Netgear Wireless G router and have all the settings on that set up exactly as to how I had the Linksys before it, and now the iphone connects every time and as reliable as 1.1.4 was for me. Not sure why updating to 2.1 would have rendered my router useless with it, but I needed a new router anyway (I think I got that linksys in 2002).

I hope everyone else with this issue can figure out their problem. I know how frustrating it is, so I wish you luck!
    2008-09-29 08:02 PM
    firmware 2.1 only compatible with new routers? might sound true.. after all before switching to 2.1 it was perfect
    2008-09-30 12:01 AM
    Not necessarily new routers, but I found that I had to reboot my router to get my iphone to work correctly on my home wifi after upgrading to 2.1. I have an Actiontec router that was installed with my Verizon Fios service in April. The iphone bot 3G and 2G were working fine until teh 2.1 upgrade. A router reboot fixed it.
    2008-09-30 01:54 AM
    I've had similar issues after JB with quickPwn:
    - Upgraded to 2.1 and no problems with WIFI (Linksys G)
    - JB using quickpwn and could set up connection but any Internet access (Safari,
    e-mail, YouTube, Dtunes) would force me to Edge.
    - Restored/JB 2x's with same symptoms. Have remained at stock 2.1

Letting the dust settle until WinPwn is finally released (Please!!!!) before trying again.

As an aside I also experienced significant lag with JB 2.1 which I attribute to Categories and 8 different folders. Hate the look/organization of stock 2.1 but it's stable and I have wifi.
    2008-09-30 03:11 AM
    I've had similar issues after JB with quickPwn:
    - Upgraded to 2.1 and no problems with WIFI (Linksys G)
    - JB using quickpwn and could set up connection but any Internet access (Safari,
    e-mail, YouTube, Dtunes) would force me to Edge.
    - Restored/JB 2x's with same symptoms. Have remained at stock 2.1

Letting the dust settle until WinPwn is finally released (Please!!!!) before trying again.

As an aside I also experienced significant lag with JB 2.1 which I attribute to Categories and 8 different folders. Hate the look/organization of stock 2.1 but it's stable and I have wifi.

Seriously, this is what I experienced. REBOOT or RESET your router. It fixed my issue.
    2008-09-30 02:08 PM
    I found a solution

I deleted every bookmark and turned the "sync bookmark option" to OFF inorder to prevent itself from refilling (mobileme). This has solved my wifi issues and actually made my edge work even faster so you guys should give it a try.
    2008-10-03 05:48 AM
    Interesting. What if you don't use mobile me?
    2008-10-03 11:50 PM
    same here
    2008-12-10 03:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD