So there's all these requests to get custom FWs and people using the shift+restore thing, but didn't you have to pwn iTunes with WinPWN/Pwnage/QuickPWN before that would work?

*bump*
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 2008-09-17 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan
    2008-09-17 02:07 PM
    I have heard of people talking about Pwning iTunes, but never understood what that meant. When I used WinPWN for the first time I didn't see it access iTunes so I was kinda lost. "Be sure to Pwn iTunes!" <---that is all I saw everywhere, but as far as I know I have never altered iTunes.

As to your question...when I moved to the 2.1 FW on my 3G phone all I did was download the firmware from a link here, fire up iTunes 8, disable the iTuneshelper in my task manager, and then finally held Shift+restore and selected the CFW. It did its thing and in 10 minutes it was over. It kept all of my information on the phone except for the Cydia/Installer apps which you can now backup and integrate into iTunes with Aptbackup(not to be confused with Appbackup).
    2008-09-17 02:14 PM
    Ok. I'll try that later today. Thanks. And you'll have an actual "thanks" as soon as I can get back on my comp. I was wondering if downloading someone elses custom fw was even doing anything.

One more question: you didn't have to uninstall
    iTunes 8? That's the main reason I've been holding off because it just seems like too much trouble.
    2008-09-17 02:25 PM
    Ok. I'll try that later today. Thanks. And you'll have an actual "thanks" as soon as I can get back on my comp. I was wondering if downloading someone elses custom fw was even doing anything.

iTunes 8? That's the main reason I've been holding off because it just seems like too much trouble.
    No, I didn't uninstall iTunes 8. I did the opposite lol. I upgraded to iTunes 8 from a previous version.

I used a FW someone had posted that was no boot logos, 1200mb partition and it has been working great.

Thanks are not necessary! Just pay it forward to someone else here on the board that needs help
    2008-09-17 02:46 PM
    it does nothing to iTunes but "pwns" it in the sence that it is jailbraking and unlocking you're iphone for you
    2008-09-17 03:24 PM

This is a link to what will help you the most:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ml#post2208891
    2008-09-17 03:46 PM
    I saw that but I didn't want to clog it up like the other 2.1 thread. So I just posted a new thread.

And to heath_rox, there is a button that says "iPwn" and when you click it a dialogue box opens up that says "Success your iTunes has been pwned."

EDIT: I tried it and the other methods except for the "White DFU" method. I keep getting error 6....
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 2008-09-17 at 07:49 PM.
    2008-09-17 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD