I read this whole thread last night.

Looked simple enough for me to try.

I downloaded the CFW, upgraded to Itunes 8.0.1
    Im using 1st gen iphone 1.1.4 jailbroken with ziphone.

I connected phone, ran Itunes, pressed shift-restore, selected CFW (the phantom one),
    Itunes says extracting software and about 2 seconds later I get (an unknown error 1403).

Anyone know how to get around this?

this you used this link:
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 03:10 PM.
    2008-10-25 04:11 AM
    sirius94, I did try that link, but still I can't get it to work.

I tried to reboot, tried different USB ports.

I tried to use a different CFW, and I quit getting the 1403 error, now I'm getting several different errors 1603, 1611, 1612, and my phone went into recovery mode.

At least when I was getting 1403 error, nothing changed on my phone and it still worked on old software, now it will not do anything.

I even tried total re-install of Itunes, still 1611 errors.

Then I tried to just restore to 2.1 through itunes without shift restore, and even through the regular itunes software it will not upgrade the phone to 2.1 and gets 1611 error.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by 74Jailbreak; 2008-10-25 at 05:49 PM.
    2008-10-25 05:47 PM
    wait u had a 1.1.4 jailbroken iphone right? what did you use? Ziphone, Winpwn? and did you try putting the phone in Dfu mode?
    Last edited by sirluis94; 2008-10-26 at 12:21 AM.
    2008-10-26 12:15 AM
    Yes, I had 1.1.4 jailbroken with ziphone. I seen another article on modmyiphone that said to use DFU mode, but I can't seem to get it to work. Not 100% sure that it is actually in DFU mode but I followed the instructions.

I am trying another suggestion where you try to use quickpwn and stop the process in the middle (white screen), then try to restore from there.
    2008-10-26 01:06 AM
    TO ALL, PLEASE READ ALL POST IN THE THREAD before asking question, i will not anymore answer repeated question, lets save time and energy for other issues and making our iphone great!!! be responsible enough and professional ;-)
    So are you saying, in a round about way, that the reason my question was completely overlooked and, for all intents and purposes, ignored is because I asked a question you think has already been answered?

If this is the case, then please don't answer it, just POINT me to what I overlooked and I will gladly read it again.

Simply acting as if the question was never asked will provide no helpful feedback at all...

I see you have helped many people here and they are all very grateful for it. I respect that and I don't want to take anything away from it, I would simply like to get by my issues as they have. If I need to look elsewhere, can you at least tell me that so I don't keep looking and hoping for miracles here?
    2008-10-26 10:03 AM
    Hi, I currently have an iphone with 1.14 firmware which is unlocked and jail broken. i now read this and downloaded phantom cfw. once downloaded i openend itunes 8.01 and pressed the option button (mac) + restore and i get the window to select the cfw but i can't select it, its greyed out. ive also unzipped the file and tried it but then i just get a bunch of folders and files none of which i can still not select.

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA
    2008-10-26 02:48 PM
    Ok so here's my deal... I have used winpwn before to upgrade to 2.0.2 from unlocked/jailbroken 1.1.4 8g 1st gen w/ ZiPone, & it worked like a charm. I then tried to use winpwn to unlock/jailbreak a 1st gen 16g & it will jailbreak, but wont unlock. I have tried every way there is in winpwn, but still no service after. There are several other people on the forum complaining about this too. Will the custom 2.1 fix this? & should I use winpwn first to install Cydia & installer 4, before installing the custom 2.1? Thank you.
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva
    2008-10-26 04:38 PM
    Yes, I had 1.1.4 jailbroken with ziphone. I seen another article on modmyiphone that said to use DFU mode, but I can't seem to get it to work. Not 100% sure that it is actually in DFU mode but I followed the instructions.

I am trying another suggestion where you try to use quickpwn and stop the process in the middle (white screen), then try to restore from there.
    ok use this guide:DFU Mode | Sleepers.net to put ur phone in DFU mode... THen try to restore.. IF that doesnt work. (Your phone still in DFU mode) Hold both the power and the home until ur phone turns on.. this should bring it back to normal.. then just do a restore(normal) use quickpwn and unlock/jailbreak ur phone.

Ok so here's my deal... I have used winpwn before to upgrade to 2.0.2 from unlocked/jailbroken 1.1.4 8g 1st gen w/ ZiPone, & it worked like a charm. I then tried to use winpwn to unlock/jailbreak a 1st gen 16g & it will jailbreak, but wont unlock. I have tried every way there is in winpwn, but still no service after. There are several other people on the forum complaining about this too. Will the custom 2.1 fix this? & should I use winpwn first to install Cydia & installer 4, before installing the custom 2.1? Thank you.
    It wouldnt hurt to try...if not use quick on the 16g iphone see if that works... if not used cydia and install bootneuter and try unlocking it again.
    Last edited by sirluis94; 2008-10-26 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-10-26 04:47 PM
    ok use this guide:DFU Mode | Sleepers.net to put ur phone in DFU mode... THen try to restore.. IF that doesnt work. (Your phone still in DFU mode) Hold both the power and the home until ur phone turns on.. this should bring it back to normal.. then just do a restore(normal) use quickpwn and unlock/jailbreak ur phone.

It wouldnt hurt to try...if not use quick on the 16g iphone see if that works... if not used cydia and install bootneuter and try unlocking it again.
    I already tried bootneuter every way I possibly could, but no luck. I am trying the custom 2.1 now. What is quick?
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva
    2008-10-26 05:01 PM
    i keep getting error message 1604 when I try to shift and restore...what do I do????
    2008-10-26 08:11 PM
    Hi, I currently have an iphone with 1.14 firmware which is unlocked and jail broken. i now read this and downloaded phantom cfw. once downloaded i openend itunes 8.01 and pressed the option button (mac) + restore and i get the window to select the cfw but i can't select it, its greyed out. ive also unzipped the file and tried it but then i just get a bunch of folders and files none of which i can still not select.

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA
    Any body have any ideas on this problem? Still can't get this to work.
    2008-10-26 08:25 PM
    Any body have any ideas on this problem? Still can't get this to work.
    Dude,

Make sure the cfw you down loaded has .ipsw at the end if not just rename it, also try to use firefox since safari tends to de compressed the zip file automatically, you can also use safari but make sure you go to Preferences-General and un checked the "open safe files after downloading"
    - Also do not unzip the .ipsw file it wont work, just leave it as it is.
    Good luck

Dude,
    Your best chance is to use the cfw, i would suggest you restore to a official 2.1 fw and after that do a shift+restore with the CW 2.1 posted here, no need to DFU. It comes with Cydia and Installer,Open ssh,open SSL, Winterboard,MIM,Cycoder and a lot of repo sources.

Good luck
    Last edited by Aws3ya; 2008-10-27 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful
    2008-10-27 06:57 AM
    Hi, I followed your instructions and upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.1 successfully - THANKS A LOT!

One question tho - I just realized that now even when I set the phone to "silent mode", it both makes a sound and vibrates when I text, etc. As you can imagine this is quite troublesome when I'm at work. What can I do to correct this? TIA!
    2008-10-27 03:03 PM
    Ok. I have a 2G running 1.1.4. I did all the steps, and I am getting an error. "iphone can not be restored (2001).

Now the iPhone will not work without a restore of some kind.

Any ideas?

Never mind, I'm a dope. I had iTunes 8.0. I upgraded to 8.0.1, and it worked fine. Lost some apps, but they can be replaced. Works well. Thanks for putting this out there. Now I have app store!
    Last edited by hitdog042; 2008-10-27 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    IPhone 1.1.4 unlocked
    T-Mobile Blackberry Curve
    T-Mobile Shadow
    Nokia N-82

Hey. I just like cool phones.
    2008-10-27 05:35 PM
    Hi, I followed your instructions and upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.1 successfully - THANKS A LOT!

One question tho - I just realized that now even when I set the phone to "silent mode", it both makes a sound and vibrates when I text, etc. As you can imagine this is quite troublesome when I'm at work. What can I do to correct this? TIA!
    bro,

you can turn down down the volume to the lowest possible level to make sure it does only vibrate and no sounds comes out. If you are saying that it seems like it the silent mode is not working, try this, go to General-Settings-Reset-Reset All Settings, no worries you wont lose any data or something.
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful
    2008-10-28 02:29 AM
    Iv'e got a question thats I don't think has been asked....

I have a 2G, 2.1 on AT&T, I don't need the "unlock" part of the custom firmware but, I did download the FW from the first post that contains it....I also DL another from the other sticky "all 2.1 questions here", or something like that....it had a server with all sorts of CFW and I picked the one that I needed (no "activation") BUT, Vista like XP puts the .zip at the end of the file, however unlike XP, Vista doesn't have a "delete" button to just change the file name and make it an .ipsw.....so my question is...

is there a CFW that DOESN'T have the unlock available for straight download that has the right file attachment (.ipsw) so I don't have to set up the phone like it's another "new" phone?.....

or, whats the real story with having a legal (contracted AT&T) phone, unlocked and set up as new one in itunes?....can I always restore to the old/original profile if need be for whatever reason?....the sim/phone service is the same even if the phones FW is unlocked?...

thanks!....
    Last edited by Dunhill98; 2008-10-28 at 04:30 AM.
    2008-10-28 04:27 AM
    Iv'e got a question thats I don't think has been asked....

I have a 2G, 2.1 on AT&T, I don't need the "unlock" part of the custom firmware but, I did download the FW from the first post that contains it....I also DL another from the other sticky "all 2.1 questions here", or something like that....it had a server with all sorts of CFW and I picked the one that I needed (no "activation") BUT, Vista like XP puts the .zip at the end of the file, however unlike XP, Vista doesn't have a "delete" button to just change the file name and make it an .ipsw.....so my question is...

is there a CFW that DOESN'T have the unlock available for straight download that has the right file attachment (.ipsw) so I don't have to set up the phone like it's another "new" phone?.....

or, whats the real story with having a legal (contracted AT&T) phone, unlocked and set up as new one in itunes?....can I always restore to the old/original profile if need be for whatever reason?....the sim/phone service is the same even if the phones FW is unlocked?...

thanks!....
    this CFW is customize to unlock and jailbreak ur iphone. If you want to jailbreak only because ur in AT&T better to create ur own firmware using quickpwn. just untick the option of unlock...I dont think anyone here or in other site will create a firmware w/out unlocking and post the link, coz everybody here need an unlocking software, mostly. So i suggest learn to use quickpwn( both for win and mac are available) and u can find it on other thread with great tutorial ;-) ok dude?

Apple iPhoNe 3GS Factory Unlocked 3.1.2 All working flawlessly!!
    2008-10-28 10:36 AM
    this CFW is customize to unlock and jailbreak ur iphone. If you want to jailbreak only because ur in AT&T better to create ur own firmware using quickpwn. just untick the option of unlock...I dont think anyone here or in other site will create a firmware w/out unlocking and post the link, coz everybody here need an unlocking software, mostly. So i suggest learn to use quickpwn( both for win and mac are available) and u can find it on other thread with great tutorial ;-) ok dude?

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have used quickpwn (without success) and winpwn with success to upgrade to a jailbroken 2.0.2 before I had to ugrade (stuck, buggy phone) anyway to 2.1......

what I was wondering was there a CFW like the linked one in the first post that already has the .ipsw extension on it WITHOUT the unlock I can dowload?....I'd like to do the easy shift, restore jailbreak instead of quickpwn.....

I ask because of the server load of CFW's in the link on the other thread, they have what I'm looking for, its just that when you DL in Vista (in it's brilliance) adds the .zip that can't be removed......

thanks.
    2008-10-28 07:15 PM
    I already tried bootneuter every way I possibly could, but no luck. I am trying the custom 2.1 now. What is quick?
    quick as in quickpwn..
    2008-10-28 11:26 PM
    Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have used quickpwn (without success) and winpwn with success to upgrade to a jailbroken 2.0.2 before I had to ugrade (stuck, buggy phone) anyway to 2.1......

what I was wondering was there a CFW like the linked one in the first post that already has the .ipsw extension on it WITHOUT the unlock I can dowload?....I'd like to do the easy shift, restore jailbreak instead of quickpwn.....

I ask because of the server load of CFW's in the link on the other thread, they have what I'm looking for, its just that when you DL in Vista (in it's brilliance) adds the .zip that can't be removed......

thanks.
    Restore a Official 2.1 fw and re do the step by step with Quickpwn you should be ok.

Dude,
    All the cfw posted are .ipsw it is vista that is causing it to be downloaded as a zip file just rename the CFW by removing the .zip on the end and leave it at .ipsw
    2008-10-29 04:04 AM
400 ... 5678917 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD