User Tag List

Basically I'm trying to convince myself to jailbreak my phone, specifically for all the cool themes I see available. So I have a few questions.

1. How likely is the phone prone to mess up?
    2. Is the real AT&T App Store still available jailbroken?
    3. If so, on a custom theme how would the icon of a downloaded application from the App Store appear on the phone?
    4. Is the touch screen response time/everything else the same as a normal iPhone, or is there a slight downgrade in response time?
    5. Is jailbreaking the phone a commitment, as in there's no way to un-jailbreak it?
    6. If the phone does happen to mess up, am I totally screwed out of being able to swap it at the Apple store?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dizzy714; 2008-09-21 at 10:37 AM. Reason: worded wrong
    2008-09-21 10:35 AM
    you can jailbreak or restore it back to apple original ipsw image without issue. the iTunes 8. Apple figuring out a way to combat jailbreak for existing 3G winpwn or pwnage by programming iTunes 8 to detect and prevent the them exploit the iphone.

you still can jailbreak the iphone/touch however, i can not do much with custom theme, application icons...

Apps still work fine like MxTube, Five icons dock, WifiToggle, Camera/video capture...Hope iPhone Dev Team will come with the fix soon.
    2008-09-21 02:49 PM
    So then basically it's not even worth jailbreaking my phone if I'm just looking to customize themes?
    2008-09-22 12:09 AM
    okay here goes.

1. Jailbroken phones are known to mess up from time to time, nothing irreversable though.

2. The app store is available to you the same way as it was before. Jailbreaking just adds another method of app distribution.

3. The icon would appear as it did on an unmodufied iPhone, unless the author of the theme you are using has included an icon for that particular application.

4. It all depends on your theme. If you use a video wallpaper, it is noticeably decreased. Otherwise not so much.

5. It is not a commitment, you can always restore back to stock conditions through iTunes.

6. Technically, yes. But only if they find out. As I stated previously, you can always restore via iTunes which would end up leaving no trace of the jailbreak.

Unmodified*
    Last edited by 461am; 2008-09-22 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-22 12:22 AM
    okay here goes.

1. Jailbroken phones are known to mess up from time to time, nothing irreversable though.

2. The app store is available to you the same way as it was before. Jailbreaking just adds another method of app distribution.

3. The icon would appear as it did on an unmodufied iPhone, unless the author of the theme you are using has included an icon for that particular application.

4. It all depends on your theme. If you use a video wallpaper, it is noticeably decreased. Otherwise not so much.

5. It is not a commitment, you can always restore back to stock conditions through iTunes.

6. Technically, yes. But only if they find out. As I stated previously, you can always restore via iTunes which would end up leaving no trace of the jailbreak.

Unmodified*
    Thanks, you answered everything I wanted to know.
    But, the guy above you said something about iTunes 8 being able to detect a jailbroken iPhone 3G? I don't know I couldn't really understand what he was saying, his use of words didn't really make too much sense.
    2008-09-22 12:42 AM
    Itunes cannot distinguish between a jailbroken phone, and an unmodified one.
    2008-09-22 12:53 AM
    Alright cool, well it sounds like I'll be going through with the jailbreak then.
    I'm just hoping I'm not in for a whole heap of difficulty, and that it's fairly easy to work with.
    Basically what I'm looking to do is just get a nice theme, slider, battery icon, maybe signal bars, and I think that's about it.
    2008-09-22 01:05 AM
    as long as you follow the jailbreaking steps exactly as stated, you should be okay.

Anyways, good luck!
    2008-09-22 01:16 AM
    I'm really looking to get this theme, can anyone guide me through it?

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/new-ski...ack-theme.html
    2008-09-22 11:33 PM
    once you jailbreak your phone and have cydia installed, go to themes and look for carbon red. I believe that's the theme your looking for. here is a guide for you to unlock your phone.

iPhone News & Review Blog Archive Quick Pwn GUI Guide

make sure you follow it step by step.
    2008-09-23 06:11 AM
    once you jailbreak your phone and have cydia installed, go to themes and look for carbon red. I believe that's the theme your looking for. here is a guide for you to unlock your phone.

iPhone News & Review Blog Archive Quick Pwn GUI Guide

make sure you follow it step by step.
    It's not Red Carbon, I did see that one though.
    The link I posted takes you right to the one I'm looking to get.
    Is it possible for anybody to re-pack it and get it up into Cydia that way I don't have to manually install it?
    If so, the background is aligned wrong but I believe the correct one is posted by him lower down in the thread.
    2008-09-23 07:46 AM
    I've been looking all over this website to find a forum or guide on how to mod the 3G 2.1. Can someone provide me a link? I'm new to the iPhone and just jb the phone yesterday? I figured out how to download from Cydia, but how do I get a theme or wallpaper, ect. from my computer to the phone? Oh btw, I'm running on Win XP &/or Vista.
    2008-09-23 02:37 PM
    It's not Red Carbon, I did see that one though.
    The link I posted takes you right to the one I'm looking to get.
    Is it possible for anybody to re-pack it and get it up into Cydia that way I don't have to manually install it?
    If so, the background is aligned wrong but I believe the correct one is posted by him lower down in the thread.
    I've been looking all over this website to find a forum or guide on how to mod the 3G 2.1. Can someone provide me a link? I'm new to the iPhone and just jb the phone yesterday? I figured out how to download from Cydia, but how do I get a theme or wallpaper, ect. from my computer to the phone? Oh btw, I'm running on Win XP &/or Vista.
    It's best that you both learn how to do this:

edit: oops, forgot. The first thing you need to do is install openssh through cydia.

To manually put themes inside your phone, you will need to learn how to ssh into your phone. First off you need an ssh client:
    Windows
    Mac

These programs will help you establish a wireless connection to your phone.

On your phone go to settings > wi-fi > your network, note down your ip address.

I'm not completely familiar with winscp, since I primarily use my mac for iphone stuff, but there should be an option to 'open a connection', you will choose sftp as your protocol, and enter in your ip address in the server field. The username is 'root', and the default password is 'alpine'.
    Once you are logged in you will see a about 13 -14 directories; this is your phone's filesystem.

Winterboard themes are deposited in /library/themes.
    Last edited by 461am; 2008-09-27 at 06:46 AM.
    2008-09-24 04:45 AM
    Thanks for the instructions. I'm going to be doing this whole process later on tonight.

One quick question though. I'll be using the standard AIM from the app store, and in the icons folder there's an icon named 'Apollo', can I simply rename it to 'AIM' for it to be recognized as the icon for the standard AIM app?

Oh and also, syncing/backing up a jailbroken iPhone is the same exact process through iTunes as you would with an un-modified phone right?
    2008-09-24 08:29 PM
    Bump for lots of great information
    2008-09-26 04:41 PM
    Oh and also, syncing/backing up a jailbroken iPhone is the same exact process through iTunes as you would with an un-modified phone right?
    Yes it is. Keep in mind that anything you install through cydia will not be synced onto itunes. You will lose all of your cydia-related modifications each time you update your firmware.
    2008-09-27 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD