Ok.
    I bought a used, unlocked iPhone off of craigslist a while ago with the extended warranty (until Sept 2009) and all was/is good, but lately the camera displays green and pink garbage over the image and the WiFi has turned REALLY flaky to the point of being useless. It constantly disconnects from known good WiFi hotspots. When I'm in the Preferences page, and I select a wifi site, if it appears at all, it may fail to connect, and if it does connect, it will disconnect right in front of my eyes within a few seconds.

It is a 1st gen, 8GB, Version 2.0 (5A347)
    Model: MA712LL
    I can provide more detail if needed.
    I did some searching and saw some writing that the 2.0 firmware had some WiFi problems.

I have resisted trying upgrading the firmware, since I know/knew that it would brick the phone, but now since WiFi is essential, as far as I am concerned, I'm thinking of trying to upgrade to the latest and greatest and then trying to unlock it again.

Questions:
    1. What is the highest firmware I can put on this 1st gen, 8GB phone?

1a. Is the latest/highest firmware recommended?

2. How do I back up everything (contacts, ...), or is it already in iTunes on my computer?

3. What unlocking software/tools should I use (I have a MacBook running OS/X 10.5)? (a lot of the unlocking docs out there are pretty poorly written and sketchy looking, and there seems to be a lot of comments about how it doesn't work).

Thanks!
    2008-09-25 03:32 AM
    1. What
    is the highest firmware I can put on this 1st gen, 8GB phone?

1a. Is the latest/highest firmware recommended?
    pretty much once you go above 2.0, 2.1 seems to be the best so far.

2. How do I back up everything (contacts, ...), or is it already in iTunes on my computer?
    sync in itunes- you need to do this before you restore,

What unlocking software/tools should I use (I have a MacBook running OS/X 10.5)? (a lot of the unlocking docs out there are pretty poorly written and sketchy looking, and there seems to be a lot of comments about how it doesn't work).
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...ompatible.html
    2008-09-25 04:28 AM
    I'm interested in seeing if the restore fixes the camera... I had that issue on some older Moto's and no amount of reflashing would fix them
    2008-09-26 05:30 PM
    Well, I used QuickPwn on the Mac, using the Apple 2.1 firmware (5F136), but I am not seeing my network AT&T cell carrier at all.
    On the iPhone Preferences > General
    Carrier (null)(null)

Is there another step that I need to take to unlock the phone?
    I've run QuickPwn twice now and the same result each time.

Help!!

Thanks.
    -Ralph

pretty much once you go above 2.0, 2.1 seems to be the best so far.

sync in itunes- you need to do this before you restore,

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...ompatible.html
    2008-11-19 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD