User Tag List

Hi Everyone
    many of you who are reading this are wayy smarter than me.....and thats means you are perfect to help me haha
    ok first off here is what i have:
    I have a jailbroke and unlocked 8gb 1st gen iphone with 1.1.4
    having said that here's what a really really want to do:
    i want to upgrade to the "2. whatever" software hahaha, i say "2. whatever"
    because i dont know first off which one is the best..is it the newest? or is it the one that been around and used for a while?...thats the first part
    I have a friend who got his unlocked after me so he already has 2.o software on it....the only thing i want different is the app store cause my friend can get tons of free apple programs from that and also get the jailbroken 3 party programs from Cydia
    So what i need is someone who is smarter than me to give me a walk through on how to upgrade to whichever the best 2. software is keeping in mind that i am a nobe and no very little haha
    please please help
    i throw myself to the mercy of the forum
    2008-10-04 05:09 AM
    If you are on a Mac, you can use Pwnage to make a custom firmware bundle to use to upgrade

If you are on a PC, Just upgrade through iTunes and use QuickPWN.

There are about 100 threads and guides how to do this. or just google 'QuickPWN'

Its not as complicated as it all seems
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2008-10-04 05:34 AM
    i own a mac, but i have access to a PC also which one would be easier?
    2008-10-04 05:39 AM
    First you will need to create a folder on your desktop called "PWNAGE"
    Download and install iTunes 8 from apple. If you havent already.

For MAC:
    You will need to download PWNAGE Tool from--> HERE
    On that page is a step by step guide included, and the Program itself is guided as well. Just follow the directions, it has gotten so easy to use these newer tools.....
    You also need Bootloader Images 3.9 & 4.6 from-->HERE There are firmware files on that page, but this site has them as well HERE

You will need to get firmware 2.0.2 and 2.1

For Windows:
    You will need to download WinPwn 2.5 from ---> HERE
    There is a guide on that page as well, but again the tool itself is guided.
    Using the same bootloader images and firmware files stated above (2.0.2 & 3.9/4.6 BL)

Once you have gone through the 2.0.2 pwnage process you will need Quickpwn 2.1 HERE
    This is where youll use v 2.1 and the 3.9/4.6 BL

Again this is guided, but you must use winpwn first to get to a custom firmware so you can upgrade to 2.1 with Quickpwn. There currently isnt a version for windows like Mac for creating 2.1 firmwares.

Place all applicable downloaded files in created Pwnage Folder. This includes when you create custom firmwares. You will always know where the files are, and so will your tools when they pull them automatically.
    This may seem foreign to you, but just follow above steps and read the info in the links I provided.
    I also believe v2.1 has been the best of the 2.xx firmwares. Highly worth doing!!!!

EDIT: I see there were a few posts before i got this posted, if you have a MAC use it, that cuts out an extra few steps currently.
    Last edited by Muggz5; 2008-10-04 at 05:55 AM.
    2008-10-04 05:51 AM
    hey man thanx for the help im having trouble find the pwnage and the step by step guide on the same page? can you help me find that?
    2008-10-04 06:34 AM
    http://wikee.iphwn.org/
    just download and run it.... it will give you step by step instructions in the program itself!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-10-04 06:40 AM
    ok next problem hahaha
    so i downloaded everything i need and updated itunes but when i checked the pwnage tool to start the process, i picked my iphone then it says it cant find the firmware bundles????? but i have them right on my desktop...what am i doing wrong???
    2008-10-04 07:35 AM
    I had the same problem, there is a button that says "browse" that will allow you to manually select hte bundle from your desktop or wherever. If all else fails you can always download pre made firmware from the downloads section.
    2008-10-04 08:05 AM
    hahaha ok next next problem haha i finally figured out the bundle thing and got it to clear...now its giving me a message telling me it cant find the bootloader software
    please please help....
    2008-10-04 08:21 AM
    there should be another button allowing you to browse directly to the file. could be that you downloaded a broken file. did you verify check sum? i'd try downloading again, possibly from a different source.
    2008-10-04 08:24 AM
    I think this guide is one of the easiest to follow: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557

Worked for me!
    2008-10-04 08:30 AM
    yea that guide is awesome! here the onl problem i cant find a place where the bootloader seems to be working for me from so i cant follow anymore of the steps
    2008-10-04 08:37 AM
    I'd start all over again and remove everything from your Mac that you've already downloaded.

Then start again using the above & their links to gain the required stuff. Make sure you download both bootloaders.

Hope that helps.
    2008-10-04 08:58 AM
    you could also try using quickpwn, it does all the work for you
    2008-10-04 09:00 AM
    ok this is driving me nuts haha no matter where i download the bootloader from or which browser i will (firefox or safari) im still getting the same message saying that i dont have the bootloader! what can i do to fix this pleas please someone help
    2008-10-04 04:39 PM
    Are you getting as far as "Step 8" in the above guide? Is this where it's saying you don't have the bootloaders?
    2008-10-04 06:07 PM
    yes step 6 is where it all comes to hell hahaha

i mean 8 haha
    Last edited by Darnack; 2008-10-06 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-10-06 04:48 PM
    just try this guide http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...n-windows.html
    worked for me and really easy
    2008-10-06 05:57 PM
    just try this guide http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...n-windows.html
    worked for me and really easy

Yes that does work, for people whom already upgraded a custom FW on versions 2.xx. on the 1.1.x firmwares the Ziphone's and etc didnt need to Pwn iTunes to work. iTunes must be pwned on the new versions before you can just use a custom firmware.

I wonder if you are having issues related to iTuneshelper.exe running.
    Have you made sure you have shut that process down?
    2008-10-07 02:28 AM
    As a last resort, you could try downloading already pwned firmware bundles, then just put your phone into DFU mode and restore it with your prepwned bundle.
    2008-10-09 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD