User Tag List

Okay, I've gone through my first week with my jailbroken iPhone 3G 16GB. I researched quite a bit beforehand and was constantly changing my mind on whether to go through with this or not. Well, finally last weekend, I did. Now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner!

Since I run Windows Vista 64-bit on my PC, I simply followed the instructions at this site using QuickPwn 2.1, and within 30 minutes, I was golden.

NOTE: If you are using the original iPhone, use these instructions only.

The first application that I installed was Intelliscreen. The first screenshot image (shown below) is of the lock screen with Intelliscreen. This is what shows when you wake up your phone from sleep mode. Notice the tiny bubbled exclamation icon on the top status bar indicating that I have some unread text (SMS) messages, and the tiny phone icon indicating that I have a missed call(s) and that I have a voicemail(s). One dot is for missed calls and two dots are for missed calls and unheard voicemails. There is also a tiny envelope icon indicating that I have unread email.

I can also toggle the battery indicator to change from the traditional graphic image or to a numeric percentage charged indicator of the power remaining—which is the mode I chose.

Each section of the lock screen (calendar, email, weather, etc.) is completely scrollable. The sections are highly customizable. You can add/remove sections. Other sections include sports, news, RSS feeds, etc.

Oh, by the way, thanks to this tip on how to capture a screenshot of the lock screen, I was able to capture the lock screen.

The next screenshot is of my home screen, complete with one of my own photographs used for wallpaper. I used Winterboard for that feature. Winterboard allows you to skin your iPhone in countless ways using various themes that you can download. Right now, I'm only using it for the background wallpaper. Also, notice the Cydia icon. This is where all the magic happens! From Cydia, you can install hundreds (thousands?) of applications.

Below is another view of my screen (this one from page two [of seven]). Notice the Cycorder icon. This was the second jailbreak application I installed. I can now shoot video with the iPhone camera! It creates rather large *.MOV files, but at least I can record video! Take note of another icon, BossPrefs. I’ll show a screenshot of that later.

My SSH terminal window in landscape mode (this app is called "MobileTerminal"):

Cycorder video recorder:

Here are some of the many configuration toggle switches that Boss Prefs provides. Be sure to keep SSH turned off when not in use. Not only is leaving it on a security issue, but it will drain your battery faster. My only gripe about Boss Prefs is that there is no toggle for Location Services (GPS). Is there a Boss Prefs Services add-in that someone has created to do this? If so, please let me know.

Another change I made (that I can't show) is I changed my new mail sound to something cooler than the default sound. I did this with the help of this thread.

In summary, I'm very satisfied with my JailBreaking experience.
    Last edited by eye-Fone; 2008-11-03 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added link for original iPhone instructions.
    2008-10-31 06:33 AM
    Looks awesome. Did intelliscreen make your phone laggy in any kind of way?
    2008-10-31 11:42 AM
    Looks awesome. Did intelliscreen make your phone laggy in any kind of way?
    I really hardly notice any lag. If there is any lag, it's when I open SMS to view a conversation, but it's not that bad (and it only happens once in a while).

In Intelliscreen, there is a settings section called, "Performance". In there there is a toggle switch called, "App Launch Boost". This improves all application launch times. There is a second toggle switch called, "WinterBrd in All Apps". It says, "By enabling WinterBoard in all applications, application launch times will be slightly slower." Needless to say, I have this disabled.
    2008-11-01 05:36 AM
    Cool, installed it, and there is no lag. It's a great app!
    2008-11-03 02:43 PM
    cool? i guess i'm not as excited about it as you, since i've had an iphone since last summer, and jailbroke my 3G as soon as i brought it home (granted i waited a few weeks b4 getting it, so a suitable jailbreak solution was already available.)

now all i need to figure out is why i keep getting error 2001 on my new macbook
    2008-11-03 02:59 PM
    cool? i guess i'm not as excited about it as you, since i've had an iphone since last summer...
    I bought mine six days after the release, but waited 3-1/2 month before JB'ing. I wanted to have a somewhat stable foundation (v2.1) before doing it.

...now all i need to figure out is why i keep getting error 2001 on my new macbook
    Funny...I'm running a Vista 64-bit notebook and don't get that error (or any errors, for that matter).
    2008-11-03 06:55 PM
    Dumb newb Q, but is this applicable to XP?
    2008-11-05 12:56 PM
    Dumb newb Q, but is this applicable to XP?
    Yes, the same set of step-by-step instructions listed in my original message will work for XP, too.
    2008-11-09 02:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD