Hey guys, I have a quick question for anyone willing to answer.

I recently jailbroke my 1.1.3 iPhone using ZiPhone 2.4.

My question is can I sync my phone now, or will that brick it?

By syncing I mean both adding songs/content, and in the sense of doing a full sync and backing the device up.

Thank you in advance; I know the smart people here will have a fix for me!

-Douglas
    2008-03-02 10:13 PM
    Syncing should not brick or harm the iPhone at all. Just be sure to say No to the 1.1.4 firmware update when prompted by iTunes, if you are wanting to stay on 1.1.3 ...
    2008-03-02 10:19 PM
    Wow, very quick response, thank you very much.

So if I did do a full sync and backed it up like that, would I be stuck with a 1.1.3 jailbreak forever (or something of the like), if I had to do a full restore for some reason (like taking it to the Apple store)?

On a side note, as I think about this question, I think I know what may happen, but I need an answer for sure; no point in risking it.

Again, thanks for all your help!

-Douglas
    2008-03-02 10:54 PM
    No, you're not stuck. You can restore to 1.1.3 and jailbreak again whenever you want, or update to 1.1.4 and jailbreak from there as well ...
    2008-03-02 10:57 PM
    So I can do a full sync that backs it up and then restore, and it will come out to plain 1.1.3? That's what I thought... Great!

Thanks a ton, patrick. You sir, are the man.

If I did go to 1.1.4 and re-jailbreak, I'd lose all my apps, correct? (Meaning that there's no cache of apps that stay permanently? Again, just checking).
    2008-03-02 11:09 PM
    yeah you would lose all apps adn although its recommended to set up iphone as a new iphone after that but thats no problem.its always easy to back up your contacts etc etc.most of the apps will work on 1.1.4 in no time thanks to our developers
    2008-03-02 11:31 PM
    How would I set it up as a new phone if I did ever decide to get 1.1.4 and whatnot?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure about stuff.

Thanks so much!
    2008-03-02 11:37 PM
    So I can do a full sync that backs it up and then restore, and it will come out to plain 1.1.3? That's what I thought... Great!

Thanks a ton, patrick. You sir, are the man.

If I did go to 1.1.4 and re-jailbreak, I'd lose all my apps, correct? (Meaning that there's no cache of apps that stay permanently? Again, just checking).
    If you do a restore, it should come out as a clean stock 1.1.3. If possible, if you have all your photos, music, contacts etc. on your computer, you should go with setting up a new partnership with iTunes after restoring to 1.1.3 _ this helps avoid a number of issues after updating and re-jailbreaking.

Once you've done a restore, and then update to 1.1.4 and jailbreak again, yes you will need to reinstall all your apps.

My personal little bit of prep for all the reinstall stuff - I take screencaps of all my home screens and the sources page in Installer - to help see at a glance what I need to put back on after a new jailbreak. There may be cleverer ways to do it, but this one works for me ...

How would I set it up as a new phone if I did ever decide to get 1.1.4 and whatnot?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure about stuff.

Thanks so much!
    In iTunes, after a restore you are offered a choice of whether to setup as new, or restore settings etc. from before - you just choose new. It's nothing to do with phone activation or contracts with AT&T etc. - just the partnership with iTunes ...
    Last edited by patrickj; 2008-03-02 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-02 11:53 PM
    hi Patrick, I see you've been very helpful and I would be VERY THANKFUL if you can help me as well. I've read so many of these blogs that I still can't figure this thing out.

I have bought an iphone v1.1.2 from the US and had someone cracked it along with a turbo sim card so I can activate it. Now that it's working, I have just recently had some problems with my SMS keyboard as the top row of letters don't type at all!

Anyways, my question is first how can I fix this problem? the second is do you recommend that I do an upgrade to v1.1.3 or even v.1.1.4? if so, how do you do an upgrade...is there a step by step for dummies like me to do easily?

I'm also sorry for asking so many questions but I'm totally lost and I would really appreciate any help you can give to me. Many thanks in advance!

aj
    2008-03-03 03:51 PM
    You Pretty Much Should Just Restore It...And It Would Be Perfectly Fine To Upgrade to 1.1.3/4...I Did It With ZiPhone And Mine wORKS gREAT....You Can Get It Frome Here

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=746

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    2008-03-05 02:26 AM
    just open itunes and hit restore. let iphone restore to 1.1.4 when finished open ziphone 2.5c which u can get at www.ziphone.org run it and in 3 mins you'll have everything done.itunes will ask you if you wanna restore from backup if u backed it up before or set up as a new phone.choose set up as a new phone and you're done.superfast and simple.i've done it many times and i had no problems at all.i've always done "do it all button". running vista home, 16 iphone otb 1.1.3 now j/a/u 1.1.4 hacked the hell out of it
    2008-03-05 02:33 AM
    So what if I was to not set up the iPhone as a new phone when I did restore and then update, what would happen (1.1.3 to 1.1.4)? I don't have anything backed up in outlook, so I'd like to not set it up as a new phone, if at all avoidable.

Thanks for all the help!
    2008-03-07 03:48 AM
    you can try to restore from your backed up profile but you might run into some problems later on.i had problem with my email be4 while being on 1.1.3 and restored from backup and developers suggest to set up as a new phone after running ziphone.i mean what will you loose? just sinc your contacts with outlook or whatever works on mac(i have no clue about macs) and then you just need to set back your weather/world time/alarms and small unimportant things.u can even sync your bookmarks from safari and then sync them back to new iphone...
    2008-03-07 04:21 AM
    Yeah, I guess you're right, it's just that I don't have my Outlook set up. I may try some of the synchronization softwares from third-parties. The only things I really don't want to lose would be contacts, notes, bookmarks, and messages, all of which can be backed up somewhere, I believe.

Thanks again. You're a great help.
    2008-03-07 05:08 AM
    no problem,glad i could help
    2008-03-08 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD