User Tag List

Hey guys.... my first post... (ever)... Just needed some advice... Please help me out...

Ok.. First of all I'm from India... A friend of mine helped me get an iphone from the U.S.. That was some where in the month of February 2008. It came preloaded with firmware 1.1.3. (2G iphone). Later this friend of mine Jailbroke and unlocked the phone after upgrading it to 1.1.4, using Ziphone.

Now recently after reading a lot of posts on the net about upgrading, jailbreaking and unlocking I finally decided to try my hand at it... I successfully pawned the phone using Quickpwn and updated the firmware 2.0.2... (Phone in great condition, Jailbroken and unlocked).

Only problem is I noticed that available memory on the phone is down to 7.1 GB... (thats ok)...

Now I want to update the firmware either to 2.2 or 2.2.1.. I've downloaded all the relevant files.. (Firmwares of both, Bootloader files, Both versions of Quickpwn)...

But i dont want to lose more disc space... Is there any way I can do this... I was thinking If I do a factory restore, (after backing up) and then upgrade directly to 2.2/2.2.1, would this save space and reclaim the lost space as well?? But will I need to unlock and Jailbreak firmware 1.1.3 before updating to 2.2/2.2.1, or can I update first and then directly jailbreak and unlock 2.2/2.2.1 ??

Also should I update to 2.2.1 or should I update to 2.2.?? Which firmware is better.. Please advice..

Thanks in advance.. Awaiting reply's....
    2009-02-04 11:55 AM
    There is no special features&improvements on 2.2.1.So just go to 2.2...
    1st sync with itunes&backup your contacts.
    Then restore to itunes...After use quickpwn.Here is the guide:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)
    2009-02-04 12:05 PM
    Thanks, but you've still not answered my question about reclaiming the space used up...

When I was on firmware 1.1.4 my available space was 7.3 Gb... Now after upgrading to 2.0.2 my available space is 7.1 Gb.. am I going to lose 200mb of space on every update??
    2009-02-05 04:46 AM
    Iphone 1.1.4 fw : 162 mb
    '' 2.02 fw : 241 mb = New fw is bigger than old fw...

Then also some old fw files i think
    Navigate to the folder containing old iPhone firmware files
    Mac OS X - [User]/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
    Windows XP - CDocuments and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    Windows Vista - CUsers\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    If you have old fw files just delete it...
    *Every time you update your fw,just use restore button-not update on itunes.Otherwise you lose about 500 mb.space...
    2009-02-05 02:04 PM
    Also one more question.. If I restore using Itunes (without using the shift key) to an earlier firmware, will I have to jailbreak and unlock before upgrading to 2.2 ? or can I first upgrade to 2.2 and then directly jailbreak and unlock the 2.2 firmware..
    2009-02-06 05:23 AM
    'Shift hold down' gives you to choose the fw for downgrade or upgrade.What do you wanna do actually?Downgrade or upgrade?
    I see,you re on 2.0.2.If you update your fw to 2.2,don't use itunes update button,coz there is only fw you can choose is 2.2.1.So use shift hold down restore&select 2.2 then jailbrake it...
    2009-02-06 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD