Hi all,

I want to restore my phone to take it back to the shop to fix a reception problem however I am worried the first thing they'll do is restore to 2.2.1 and prevent an unlock.

I have restored to 2.2.1 custom and had a load of problems so I have 2 questions:

If I wanted to restore to the stock 2.2 fw (and hope the shop leave it on that firmware) do i need to be in restore or DFU?

also, does a 2.2.1 custom fw exist without the baseband change and WITHOUT a jailbreak pre installed? So i can restore to this, send it off and hope they dont bother restoring it?

Many thanks
    2009-02-19 06:30 PM
    The first thing Apple will do no matter what is restore to 2.2.1 so you're screwed. If you're an AT&T customer this shouldn't matter. If you're a t-mobile customer they won't help you b/c you won't be able to activate the phone.
    2009-02-19 07:17 PM
    if you are really worried about your unlock then you will consider fixing it yourself.

what is wrong with it that you need it fixed
    2009-02-19 10:04 PM
    i am on the uk's version of at&t so not too bothered, but will devalue it when I come to sell.

The problem is that I lose 3g reception a lot of the time and I have done numerous tests with an old nokia phone, and at the same time in the same place that ALWAYS keeps its 3g...

any ideas?

Seems to have gotten worse since 2.2 and 2.2.1 too.
    2009-02-20 12:24 AM
    Apple has had massive issues with the 3G part of the iphone since it's launch. Why do you think they've had 6 different firmware verions to try and fix it?! The network might have service but different phones will have different reception.
    2009-02-20 12:38 AM
    yup

maybe they should be focusing on fixing that instead of trying to bring us down
    2009-02-20 12:45 AM
    guys,

this is EXACTLY what ive read, however when I phone o2 iphone customer service AND apple UK customer service, they both refuse to acknowledge it, and say that there should be no difference in reception between the iphone and any nokia phone. This is why I considered returning it and seeing what they could do. Do you think this will be pointless?
    2009-02-20 10:51 AM
    yes because they are just going to make up an excuse and give it back to you
    2009-02-20 11:14 AM
    in that case why dont apple address the important things in updates instead of sticking in gay little google maps street view which will be used once on the day you update and never again!
    2009-02-20 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD