I used to be a strong proponent of modding your iPhone and unlocking it to use on other networks, but I'm no longer sure.

In the early days (remember those?), unlocking and jailbreaking were sometimes complex but the method was open. This means you could see what processes were taking place and what each step did. Not anymore.

In an attempt to make it "easy," the changes are now made under the covers, supplanted by a GUI with the instructions of 'click, wait and enjoy'

Has anybody done a quality check on these "easy" tools?? Are the doing only what they're supposed to?

This post isn't meant to flame anyone. I know a lot of honest hard work is put into this effort by people genuinely wishing to keep this as "open source" as possible.

It is only meant to make you think.
    The Cake Is A LIE!
    2008-03-06 05:37 PM
    Hmm, when you say "Are they doing only what they are supposed to?", what else do you think may be going on?

[serious question]
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.
    2008-03-06 06:00 PM
    Pretty simple, Trent.

Your phone is no longer "just a phone" but a computer as well. Anything (pretty much) you can do on a mac, you can do here.
    Transmission of personal phone data to 3rd party (IMEI).
    Keyloggers
    voice recording.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but how hard would it be to include such things in these "jailbreak" packages? Would you know if they were?
    The Cake Is A LIE!
    2008-03-06 06:13 PM
    a bit over protective but i second that.. especially with apps such as lockbox
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-03-06 06:39 PM
    Well, this is true I guess. I think there is an app where you can see all the processes running on your phone.. so maybe this stuff would be noticeable in there. I don't think anybody around here as sunk that low though, because if people started doing stuff like this, I believe it might destroy the iPhone Modding Community.

I am still trying to think of extra precautions you can take, but it is hard.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.
    2008-03-06 06:42 PM
    The funny thing is that we get all bent out if joint (rightly so) when there is a perceived violation of our privacy by the government, yet have absolutely NO problem willfully installing software from people we dont know on a machine that can hold a lot of personal information.
    Last edited by Gazoo; 2008-03-06 at 07:23 PM.
    The Cake Is A LIE!
    2008-03-06 07:20 PM
    The funny thing is that we get all bent out if joint (rightly so) when there is a perceived violation of our privacy by the government, yet have absolutely NO problem willfully installing software from people we dont know on a machine that can hold a lot of personal information.
    heh so true.. then again.. u'd have a simple phone if not hehe
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-03-06 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD