out of the blue cydia wont startup completely, it starts then when "loading data" it crashes and returs to the springboard

im a neewb so please assist

i tried to ssh into the phone, root/alpine
    then i typed "apt-get remove cydia" this is what happens

dans-iphone:~ root# apt-get remove cydia
    Reading package lists... Error!
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry Index of / ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/cydia.iclarified.com_._Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry iMobileCinema - Installation Guide ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/d.imobilecinema.com_._Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://urbanfanatics.com ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/urbanfanatics.com_cydia_._Packages)
    E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/cy.sosiphone.com_._Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    dans-iphone:~ root#

please help, thanks in advance
    2009-03-23 03:20 PM
    This just happened to me, and to any of you googlers that run across this page:

List 1:

1. Open terminal on your touch or phone
    2. type "su root" (without quotes)
    3. type "alpine" (without quotes) or your password if you've changed it.
    4. type "apt-get remove cydia" (without quotes)

Here is where the road forks:
    • If you get a confirmation message that ends with "Yes, do as I say!", then confirm and type "apt-get install cydia" (without quotes) and you're done.
    • If you get a list of errors, and it returns to the prompt, then leave the terminal open and proceed to list 2.

List 2:

1. SSH into your phone or touch
    2. Navigate to private/var/lib/apt/lists/
    3. Simply delete the entries with bad headers, repeats, etc. (Whatever you are warned of in terminal on your device).
    4. Start Cydia back up
    5. Profit
    2009-06-28 06:36 AM
    ok i have to ask. b/c im new to jailbreaking and have not got into ssh or terminal yet.

my cydia keeps crashing also. it started this morning. any help?
    2009-06-28 06:24 PM
    This just happened to me, and to any of you googlers that run across this page:

List 1:

1. Open terminal on your touch or phone
    2. type "su root" (without quotes)
    3. type "alpine" (without quotes) or your password if you've changed it.
    4. type "apt-get remove cydia" (without quotes)

Here is where the road forks:
    • If you get a confirmation message that ends with "Yes, do as I say!", then confirm and type "apt-get install cydia" (without quotes) and you're done.
    • If you get a list of errors, and it returns to the prompt, then leave the terminal open and proceed to list 2.

List 2:

1. SSH into your phone or touch
    2. Navigate to private/var/lib/apt/lists/
    3. Simply delete the entries with bad headers, repeats, etc. (Whatever you are warned of in terminal on your device).
    4. Start Cydia back up
    5. Profit
    This worked like a charm. I was dreading have to restore my iPhone after having to do that a week ago. Thanks Mereyweather!
    2009-07-19 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD