Lets give a warm welcome to iPhone Beta 3.0!

Thanks Apple!

So there are thousands of people out there with tons of questions and problems so I thought i would try to make a thread to clear up some questions. I will update to the best of my ability!

Some popular questions are:

1. How do I get Beta 3.0!? How much should I PAY for a Dev spot?

You must first download 3.0 Beta via a torrent file. (Search on google)
    You must have access to a dev account. (This forum has Users selling Dev spots. Also see Ebay)
    Anyone can buy a Dev account for $99.00 and they can then add 100 devices
    You should not pay more than $1.00 to be added to an account!

2. What is a UDID and How do I find it?

A UDID is each iPhone's Unique Device ID (40 hex characters)
    To find it:
    You connect your iPhone to itunes 8.1 -*

Click on the actual serial numbers for your iPhone in iTunes summary page:
    Serial Number:*9xxxxxxxxxx (11 digits)

When you click the serial numbers it will change to identifier:
    Identifier (UDID):*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.... (40 digits)

If you upgraded and can't get to the summary screen because of an iTunes message try this:

On XP or Vista Go to:

1. My Computer

2. Control Panel

3. Administrative Tools

4. Computer Management click on "Device Manager" on left

5. Scroll list scroll down find "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

6. Find "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver", right click for properties

7. Click "Details"

8. Copy whole "Device Instance ID" ("Device Instance Path" - Vista)

2. Is 3.0 Beta or a real release and when is it being released to the public?

3.0 is a Beta release for developers to incorporate support for the new capabilities of 3.0 into their software (accessory support, push notifications, cut/copy/paste, etc...).

The Beta Developer release was not intended for general public use and that is why tethering and MMS have not yet been activated by Apple or AT&T.

The legitimacy of using 3.0 is kind of shady. While apple does allow developers to seed their apps to "testers" who don't have to be developers, apple agreed to allow developers too add up to 100 devices to their lists as to collect crash log info and make debugging much easier.

Apple do not support or recommend updating at this time (If you are not a developer or tester for a developer). It will not void your warranty but will leave you with a unjailbreakable OS. If you try to update without being on a dev list you may not be able to activate your phone, but some people have managed to circumvent this.

The only Beta support i have come across is a fresh install and the inevitable release of 3.0 Beta 2 ( I do not know when it will be released).

Downgrading is possible See Question #12.

3. If I upgrade my 2G/3G phone to 3.0 will it still be unlocked?

No, and there will not be support for 3.0 jailbreak/unlock until the official 3.0 release.
    For more information visit the Dev Team (Dev-Team Blog)

4. I upgraded my phone to 3.0 and can't make calls how do I install yellowsn0w?

Due to there not being support for Jailbreaking/Unlocking Installing yellowsn0w is NOT possible.

5. How do I downgrade the baseband?

Downgrading the Baseband is NOT Possible.
    Users must wait for the Dev Team to release an Unlock to use other GSM carriers on 3.0.
    They are expected to release this with the official 3.0 release in June/July.

6. How do I Unlock/Jailbreak Beta 3.0?

You cannot Unlock/Jailbreak until the official release for 3.0 comes out and the Dev Team post their update.
    They are expected to release this with the official 3.0 release in June/July.

7. I installed 3.0 Beta on my phone and iTunes won't activate my phone... Help!

You must have access to a dev account. (This forum has Users selling Dev spots. Also see Ebay)
    Anyone can buy a Dev account for $99.00 and they can then add 100 devices
    You should not pay more than $1.00 to be added to an account!

8. MMS doesn't work... Apple said it would!

Since the release of 3.0 Beta was only intended for developers Apple and AT&T decided to leave this setting off until the official release.
    There are rumors of fixing this with an update, but it seems AT&T is deactivating it on phones enabling it.

9. YouTube doesn't work, why not and what do I do?

Turns out the 2.xx Backups aren't fully compatible with 3.0 Beta.
    If you restore from a 2.xx backup YouTube won't work with 3.0.
    If you restore your phone to 3.0 and set it up as a new phone you can keep YouTube alive.

10. Visual VoiceMail doesn't work, why not and what do I do?

Same concept as YouTube From Question #9.
    2.xx Backups aren't fully compatible with 3.0 Beta.
    If you restore from a 2.xx backup Visual VoiceMail won't work with 3.0.
    If you restore your phone to 3.0 and set it up as a new phone Visual VoiceMail will work.

11. How do i Tether my iPhone to my computer?

They have a thread for this here on modmyi:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...-os-3-0-a.html

12. How do I downgrade from Beta 3.0 to 2.2.1?

Thanks to a post by "Napoleon_PhoneApart" here at modmyi:

I got this method from Mocque on MacRumors, and it worked perfectly for me, at least:

On a Windows Computer

1) open itunes
    2) get iphone in DFU mode
    3) select restore iphone (using the original 2.2.1 firmware, not the custom one)
    4) let iphone do the restart process until you get ERROR 1013
    5) close itunes
    6) open quickpwn. you will get a message saying to hold power and home for 15 seconds. do it exactly like that hold the power and home for 15 secs.
    7) turn on iphone by holding power button for 2 secs
    8) open itunes and BINGO iphone is recognize and activated

Hope I Helped! Feel Free to Say Thanks!
    If you have additional information post it and I will add your info into my thread!
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC
    2009-03-25 06:36 AM
    Looks great.....stickied.
    2009-03-26 01:46 AM
    about the downgrading part i just thought i should add that dfu mode is not needed...
    1st attempt a restore... It will give an error in a short order(but dnt worry thats expected!) Now you should be stuck with a 3g thats stuck in restore mode ? correct?
    2nd after u get the restore screen with connect to itunes on it.. simply open up quickpwn...and follow the steps it prompts u to make...
    very simple huh?
    Well i have noticed during my very own tests with quickpwn, what it basicly does is it knocks it out of recovery for ya..
    then u just simply need to resync because everything u have updated with the 3.0 app wont work... meaning that ur backups made while running 3.0 wont be any good..
    Last edited by dancin_smurf; 2009-03-28 at 11:00 PM.
    I just want a hand UP!!! Not a hand out!!!
    2009-03-28 10:56 PM
    what's the baseband version for OS 3.0?
    Mafia Live Family Code: 143 035 642
    2009-03-29 05:57 PM
    I Upgraded from a jailbroken 2.2 and had all my apps and games in a categories folder. None of my apps/games that were in the folder are on my iphone but are on the harddrive of the iphone. Any takers?
    2009-03-29 06:33 PM
    I Upgraded from a jailbroken 2.2 and had all my apps and games in a categories folder. None of my apps/games that were in the folder are on my iphone but are on the harddrive of the iphone. Any takers?
    Goto >settings>restrictions>enable restrictions then disable restrictions.

you should get everything back that way

what's the baseband version for OS 3.0?

Modem Firmware 04.05.04G iPhone 2G
    Last edited by mr.sparky; 2009-03-29 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-03-29 06:41 PM
    Goto >settings>restrictions>enable restrictions then disable restrictions.

you should get everything back that way

Modem Firmware 04.05.04G iPhone 2G
    Wow Thanks Sparky!!

Anyone else experience lag with stero bluetooth? It plays fine but as you navigate the phone the music skips and lags. Officaly because of beta or do I need a fresh restore?
    Last edited by esko032; 2009-03-29 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-03-29 06:55 PM
    "12. How do I downgrade from Beta 3.0 to 2.2.1?

I got this method from Mocque on MacRumors, and it worked perfectly for me, at least:

On a Windows Computer

1) open itunes
    3) select restore iphone (using the original 2.2.1 firmware, not the custom one)
    5) close itunes
    6) open quickpwn. you will get a message saying to hold power and home for 15 seconds. do it exactly like that hold the power and home for 15 secs.
    8) open itunes and BINGO iphone is recognize and activated"

is there any way to do this on a mac? because i accidentally upgraded to the 3.0 beta version and i need to downgrade so that i can use my iphone 1st gen.

if anyone is able to help me downgrade the iphone software on my mac from 3.0 back to 2.21 then please pm me or aim me rich1yung3sciety
    Last edited by rich1yung3sciety; 2009-04-01 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-01 03:14 AM

On a Windows Computer

1) open itunes
    5) close itunes

is there any way to do this on a mac? because i accidentally upgraded to the 3.0 beta version and i need to downgrade so that i can use my iphone 1st gen.

if anyone is able to help me downgrade the iphone software on my mac from 3.0 back to 2.21 then please pm me or aim me rich1yung3sciety
    Im not sure if there is a way to do it on a mac yet.

Personally i have an iMac but i have XP on Parallels so i just use the windows method.

Best bet is to upgrade to 3.0 BETA 2 and wait until you can find yourself access to windows for a good 20 minutes.
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC
    2009-04-02 05:57 AM

On a Windows Computer

1) open itunes
    5) close itunes

You pretty much do the same thing on a mac and it will work the only thing i did different was use pwnage tool and i was downgraded.
    2009-04-07 11:48 PM
    Good news is...I just restored to 2.2.1 tonight from 3.0 and you don't need to use DFU mode. Just shift+restore and choose your firmware, you can even use the custom firmware. I did that and I went straight to jailbreaking.
    2009-04-09 03:02 AM
    Downgrading 3.0 to 2.2.1 on a Mac (1st gen iPhone) is a breeze.

Option click Restore.

Select your custom 2.2.1 firmware file.

Done. You don't even need to DFU your way out of this mess.
    Hmm...
    2009-04-09 07:52 AM
    true
    2009-04-09 07:54 AM
    Downgrading 3.0 to 2.2.1 on a Mac (1st gen iPhone) is a breeze.

Option click Restore.

Select your custom 2.2.1 firmware file.

Done. You don't even need to DFU your way out of this mess.
    Did you not read the whole thread?
    2009-04-09 05:13 PM
    is it worth it to upgrade to 3.0?
    and can you go directly to beta 2 or do you have to upgrade to beta 1 first?
    THANK OR DIE
    2009-04-10 04:44 AM
    if you downgrade back to 2.2.1 i know the baseband will remain updated, but will you still be able to use the phone capabilities once back on 2.2.1?
    Mafia Live Family Code: 143 035 642
    2009-04-10 06:35 AM
    It is totally worth upgrading. You can go straight to beta 2
    2009-04-10 06:45 AM
    It is totally worth upgrading. You can go straight to beta 2
    It depends on if you are willing to put up with Beta software. Some people have had no problems but more seem to be downgrading again.

If you use YellowSn0w do NOT upgrade. If you are not bothered if your phone is stable and are willing to use potentially buggy software then it's up to you.

I need my phone to much to try it. i'll wait until the official release.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-04-10 02:30 PM
    I downgraded for one reason, my iPod app kept crashing.
    2009-04-10 02:42 PM
    It's nice but is hard to forgot about all the goodies that i already have! and i'm thinking if beta 3 is gona be jailbreak to... anyway i'm waiting for Saurik to upgrade is app to 3.0 then i stay on 3.0!
    2009-04-10 03:48 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD