User Tag List

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help in advance.

I've just hooked in my new iphone to itunes, updated to 2.2.1.

Looking around the web I am reading info that says the iphone 3g on 2.2.1 cannot be unlocked for any sim using quickpwn? and I have to use yellowsn0w?

Is this true guys? or has the latest version of quickpwn.
    Many thanks my head is baffled and there is so much conflicting information online.

UPDATE

I've installed cydia, and tried to run yellowsnow, still no unlock! **** , reading the notes it says DO NOT UPDGRADE TO 2.2.1 on itunes as it will change the baseband and be unlockable with yellowsnow. I've already updated this first via itunes and tried yellowsnow from cydia apps, also how can i tell what baseband i'm on.

Guy's i'm kinda stuck here, is there anyway that I can revert the baseband update? and revert to an older firmware or anything? as this phone really needs to work on my vodafone as I am tied in to a 15 month contract, it would be devastating if I cannot get it working on vodafone.

Ok guys, I believe I can make a custom firmware and downgrade it? is this true? if so where do I start.
    I have nothing to lose as the phone is factory set.
    Many many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Serial45; 2009-04-05 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-05 10:15 PM
    You are permanently stuck with the 2.2.1 baseband. The ONLY way to unlock your phone at this point is a chip. There are many choices. turbosim, universalsim, rebelsim, geveysim. They are all around $15-20. If you ask which one is better you will get a different answer from everyone. Good luck.
    2009-04-05 10:17 PM
    i am sorry but there is no unlock for the 2.30 baseband...your going to have to get a turbosim or something along those lines.....
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-04-05 10:19 PM
    Thanks guys, just looking there is tonnes of these on ebay. Do I lose any features on the phone or is it detectable at all? or is it exactly the same as th soft unlock just with hardware?

Going to order a turbosim right away. Thanks guys.
    2009-04-05 10:22 PM
    No loss of features... the chips can be a bit temperamental sometimes with regard to locking onto the towers but that's "normal".
    2009-04-05 10:26 PM
    No loss of features... the chips can be a bit temperamental sometimes with regard to locking onto the towers but that's "normal".
    Ahh, by temperemental do you mean the phone can misread or not connect to the GSM network? or is it just awkward to get it in and out of the iphone? thanks again.
    2009-04-05 10:30 PM
    Ahh, by temperemental do you mean the phone can misread or not connect to the GSM network? or is it just awkward to get it in and out of the iphone? thanks again.
    bit of both
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.
    2009-04-05 10:44 PM
    fair enough, i'll try it and see,
    I have 14 days no quibble returns policy with apple, all it will cost me is 10 credit.

If you guys where in my position would you :

1) stick with the turbosim option,

2) restore phone and return to apple for full refund and purchase another standard 2.2 FW model a day later?
    2009-04-05 10:59 PM
    fair enough, i'll try it and see,
    I have 14 days no quibble returns policy with apple, all it will cost me is 10 credit.

If you guys where in my position would you :

1) stick with the turbosim option,

2) restore phone and return to apple for full refund and purchase another standard 2.2 FW model a day later?
    I would do a restore and tell them the phone is acting crazy and have them give you a new one...
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-04-05 11:07 PM
    Ok cool i'll go down this route again, I just hope the apple store give me a 2.2. and not a 2.2.1. If only I had read a little more before I dived in head first on itunes. DOH at me.

Been reading about these sim cards and all i'm pretty much hearing is issues with calls, wifi etc etc, cba with the hassle of even trying.

Any ideas on what I could say to make out the phone is playing up? I thought about lying about poor battery life, but the problem with that is the iphone records battery stats, I could just refund it back and buy another one a day later, but would mean buying another 10 phone credit with 02 hehe.

If I do restore the phone, do I just use the iphones restore to reset it back? Does this in effect whipe the phone and data back to factory settings?
    2009-04-06 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD