hello got a bunch of apps and games for my iphone 3g. i am thinking about jailing breaking my iphone just to see is i can mod my phone and get some nice wallpapaer and icons on there with some good apps and games. how would i do the install of the games and apps? just through i tunes? any information would be great...
    2009-04-25 03:12 AM
    hello got a bunch of apps and games for my iphone 3g. i am thinking about jailing breaking my iphone just to see is i can mod my phone and get some nice wallpapaer and icons on there with some good apps and games. how would i do the install of the games and apps? just through i tunes? any information would be great...
    You will have to jailbreak it first, and then ssh your stuff into your phone.
    Click here for info on jailbreaking and ssh. and here
    2009-04-25 03:20 AM
    Just reinstall your appstore apps after jailbreaking, they wont charge you again
    and Welcome to MMi
    2009-04-25 04:29 AM
    And just to throw it out there.....if your possibly speaking of cracked apps, we dont support them.
    2009-04-25 04:47 AM
    ^^^ agreed
    can you install cracks on a non-jailbroken iPhone?
    2009-04-25 04:49 AM
    ^Nope. Thats why I threw that out
    2009-04-25 04:51 AM
    k thanks for the info.
    2009-04-25 04:54 AM
    ok cool thank you for the help.well i am just looking at some of the new icons and stuff looks nice. jailbreaking wont brick my phone? and where can i get info on third party apps?
    2009-04-25 04:52 PM
    you wont brick your iPhone, no worries
    Info on cydia apps Cydia | iPhone Apps | Search powered by ModMyi.com
    2009-04-25 05:33 PM
    And you will enjoy the phone a thousand time more
    2009-04-25 07:21 PM
    what can i do with it? since you guys dont talk about apps here ;-) what can i talk about? would like to change my icons and stuff like that. would also like to run some third party sw. dont know what though.
    2009-04-26 03:44 AM
    Kinda depends on what your into.

And yeah you can talk about apps, or anything else you want.

We just dont allow discussion on anything cracked/pirated. As long as its legit, its cool.
    2009-04-26 03:49 AM
    what can i do with it? since you guys dont talk about apps here ;-) what can i talk about? would like to change my icons and stuff like that. would also like to run some third party sw. dont know what though.
    There are 3 types of apps.
    1) App store apps - many are free, most cheap, which have been approved by Apple and sold through the Appstore on your phone and iTunes on your computer

2) Cydia (and installer and RYI - but I really can't recommend them) apps. These are apps written for the iPhone but which are not approved by Apple. Again, lots are free but some you pay for. These include such things as video recorders, texting replacements and Winterboard for theming. Although customising your phone with themes is popular, I found it slowed down my phone too much so don't bother. Cydia apps have not been tested by Apple so there are potential conflicts but you are fairly safe with apps from Cydia - the same can not be said for installer and RYI.

3) 'Cracked' apps these are apps that have been modified to work on any jailbroken iPhone illegally.

Types 1 & 2 can be talked about freely as can jailbraking itself as none of this is illegal.

Type 3 cannot be talked about as it is illegal and if you brick your phone while doing it then you have no one else to blame than yourself. I strongly recommend supporting the software writers and going the legal route.

HTH
    Last edited by confucious; 2009-04-26 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typos!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-04-26 11:53 AM
    ok cool thank you for your help. any mirc chat rooms to talk about this?
    2009-04-26 04:13 PM
    #modmyi
    2009-04-26 04:37 PM
    There are 3 types of apps.
    1) App store apps - many are free, most cheap, which have been approved by Apple and sold through the Appstore on your phone and iTunes on your computer

2) Cydia (and installer and RYI - but I really can't recommend them) apps. These are apps written for the iPhone but which are not approved by Apple. Again, lots are free but some you pay for. These include such things as video recorders, texting replacements and Winterboard for theming. Although customising your phone with themes is popular, I found it slowed down my phone too much so don't bother. Cydia apps have not been tested by Apple so there are potential conflicts but you are fairly safe with apps from Cydia - the same can not be said for installer and RYI.

3) 'Cracked' apps these are apps that have been modified to work on any jailbroken iPhone illegally.

Types 1 & 2 can be talked about freely as can jailbraking itself as none of this is illegal.

Type 3 cannot be talked about as it is illegal and if you brick your phone while doing it then you have no one else to blame than yourself. I strongly recommend supporting the software writers and going the legal route.

HTH

Good write up!
    2009-04-26 08:29 PM
    You use a program called Cydia to install apps, themes, wallpapers, ringtones, etc. It's like the mobile iTunes store on your iPod/iPhone.
    2009-04-26 10:07 PM
    so in order to see what cydia has to offer i would have to jailbreak my iphone and install cydia and see what kind of apps they got.
    2009-04-26 11:08 PM
    Or just look here.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-04-26 11:12 PM
    ^^yeah, I posted that on page 1 and #modmyi is our irc channel
    2009-04-27 12:08 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD