Alright, so i have run out of ideas, im offering $20 through paypal to anyone that can fix it.

I have an iphone 3G running 2.2. An application was hanging last night so i reset the phone, but now it wont boot into anything but restore mode.

Restoring it is not an option, i have information on there i cant afford to lose.

i have tried these things:

iFuntastic - told me to use itunes
    iBrickr - didnt recognize my phone
    iRecovery - tried fsboot, didnt do anything.
    iLiberty+ - didnt recognize iphone
    Quickpwn - didnt recognize iphone

i need some way to recover my data, or just get it to boot back to the normal springboard. i have never had any problem like this before.

thanks!
    2009-05-03 11:36 PM
    download a new program called itwin, it lets you browse your db files from itunes.
    2009-05-03 11:42 PM
    turn it on and off....

plug it in itunes.....elet it restore n back up....

n ur info should be ther
    2009-05-03 11:58 PM
    when i restore it it will back up my info?
    because itunes just says it detected an iphone in recovery and i have to restore it.

and itwin didnt see my iphone.
    2009-05-03 11:59 PM
    You're **** out of luck. iTunes can ONLY restore when the iPhone is in DFU/restore mode. You can't do ANYTHING BUT restore.
    2009-05-04 12:20 AM
    You're **** out of luck. iTunes can ONLY restore when the iPhone is in DFU/restore mode. You can't do ANYTHING BUT restore.
    dam.
    i dont know why it suddenly decided that it would go into recovery mode, i havent even plugged it into my computer in over a month.

if i restore it through itunes, will it create a backup before restoring? or will it wipe it completely clean?
    the newest backup i have of it is over 3 months old.
    2009-05-04 12:43 AM
    A backup won't be made. You can only restore it. Nothing else.
    2009-05-04 12:45 AM
    well, im going to give it another hour or so, see if anyone has any miracles they can offer, then im going to bite the bullet and restore.
    im just pissed at losing 3-4 months worth of photos and contacts and everything, not to mention all of my apps and settings.
    2009-05-04 12:47 AM
    itwin can either connect to your phone through wifi (which is not an option since it won't boot)

or it can read the db files itunes creates when it backs up the phone.

I guess you haven't backed up your phone at all yet?
    2009-05-04 01:37 AM
    itwin can either connect to your phone through wifi (which is not an option since it won't boot)

or it can read the db files itunes creates when it backs up the phone.

I guess you haven't backed up your phone at all yet?
    I only have one backup in my itunes, and its over 3 months old, and i dont even know if it is from my iphone.

hindsight is 20/20, i should have backed up my phone more often.

offer still stands, i have now tried Diskaid as well, but it didnt see my iphone on 2 different computers.
    Last edited by thermalpenguin; 2009-05-04 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-05-04 02:17 AM
    Getting out of simple restore/recovery mode in fw 2.x = a bit tricky if you dont want to restore it:

1. Connect iPhone and Mac/PC
    2. Quit iTunes if running/starting
    3. Start Quickpwn - it will not detect the iPhone!!!
    4. Hold start/sleep until the recovery screen on the iPhone goes black, let go of button.
    5. iPhone will show the boot logo after about 3-5 seconds and stay there for 10-20 seconds - dont touch it.
    6. Quickpwn will then "see" the iPhone, kick it out of recovery mode and start its build job, just interrupt the process with disconnecting iPhone and PC/Mac.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-05-04 03:28 AM
    1. In Recovery Mode Screen (it shows a cable and a CD looking iTunes icon), press and hold power + home for about 10 seconds, this will shut the screen down. Let go of buttons!
    2. With the screen dark, press and hold power+home buttons again. This time, the Apple logo will light up for about 8 seconds then again it will be powered down. (I noticed this round of power down, it seems to be a little different with the way the screen shuts off, hard to explain). Let go of buttons!
    3. Once again, press and hold power+home buttons (only this time, you'll mimic the entering DFU mode like pattern) by counting to about 8 seconds then release the power button. Keep holding down the home button until about 20 seconds then let go. During this time, the Apple logo should reappear but don't get distracted, keep up with the counting. By the time you let go all buttons 20 seconds later, the Apple logo should stay lit and it will boot into regular mode shortly after.

Hope it works mate
    Last edited by IvanPK; 2009-05-04 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-05-04 03:32 AM
    Getting out of simple restore/recovery mode in fw 2.x = a bit tricky if you dont want to restore it:

1. Connect iPhone and Mac/PC
    2. Quit iTunes if running/starting
    3. Start Quickpwn - it will not detect the iPhone!!!
    4. Hold start/sleep until the recovery screen on the iPhone goes black, let go of button.
    5. iPhone will show the boot logo after about 3-5 seconds and stay there for 10-20 seconds - dont touch it.
    6. Quickpwn will then "see" the iPhone, kick it out of recovery mode and start its build job, just interrupt the process with disconnecting iPhone and PC/Mac.
    im a little confused on this one, after step 4, if i understand correctly, i just turned the iphone off, so unless i push one of the buttons, the iphone never shows the boot logo, so i dont really know how it is supposed to work. after i turn it off should i press the power button again?

1. In Recovery Mode Screen (it shows a cable and a CD looking iTunes icon), press and hold power + home for about 10 seconds, this will shut the screen down. Let go of buttons!
    2. With the screen dark, press and hold power+home buttons again. This time, the Apple logo will light up for about 8 seconds then again it will be powered down. (I noticed this round of power down, it seems to be a little different with the way the screen shuts off, hard to explain). Let go of buttons!
    3. Once again, press and hold power+home buttons (only this time, you'll mimic the entering DFU mode like pattern) by counting to about 8 seconds then release the power button. Keep holding down the home button until about 20 seconds then let go. During this time, the Apple logo should reappear but don't get distracted, keep up with the counting. By the time you let go all buttons 20 seconds later, the Apple logo should stay lit and it will boot into regular mode shortly after.

Hope it works mate
    i found this earlier, but unfortunately this method didnt work for me. When i followed it exactly, it didnt ever shut back off in step 2, it just sat on the recovery screen again. When i tried to figure it out myself, it just put it in DFU mode.
    Last edited by thermalpenguin; 2009-05-04 at 04:45 AM.
    2009-05-04 04:42 AM
    thermal - keep holding the buttons down in step 2 it should turn off again
    2009-05-04 04:51 AM
    thermal - keep holding the buttons down in step 2 it should turn off again
    i held them down for about 45 seconds, it never turned off again in step two. i had to release the buttons then press them again to get it to turn back off.
    2009-05-04 04:54 AM
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1jiPE9nnY]YouTube - Get out of recovery mode on 2.0 iphone/ipod touch[/ame]
    2009-05-04 04:55 AM
    i tried ifuntastic, quickpwn and ziphone.

ziphone just sits on "searching for iphone"
    quickpwn doesnt ever see it
    ifuntastic saw the iphone, but wouldnt do anything to it.

following the steps on that video, when i get to the part where his phone goes back to the springboard, mine takes just as long on the apple logo, but instead of going back to springboard, it just turns itself off.
    Last edited by thermalpenguin; 2009-05-04 at 05:04 AM.
    2009-05-04 05:00 AM
    What about Independence
    2009-05-04 05:01 AM
    I literally just did my process and it worked.

Plug it in while it is on so that iTunes recognizes it in Restore/Recovery Mode
    Close iTunes and Start Quickpwn, you will get an error, hit okay.
    Hold Home and Power until the screen turns black. Let go of the buttons.
    Hold power button until you see an Apple logo
    Hit next on Quickpwn, wait until it recognizes the firmware.
    Hit next again and just wait. I literally just did it.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-05-04 05:02 AM
    What about Independence
    Couldnt see the iphone.

I literally just did my process and it worked.

Plug it in while it is on so that iTunes recognizes it in Restore/Recovery Mode
    Close iTunes and Start Quickpwn, you will get an error, hit okay.
    Hold Home and Power until the screen turns black. Let go of the buttons.
    Hold power button until you see an Apple logo
    Hit next on Quickpwn, wait until it recognizes the firmware.
    Hit next again and just wait. I literally just did it.
    On the step where you say to hit next on quickpwn, i cant do it it is still greyed out.
    2009-05-04 05:11 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD