my friend upgraded his iphone to 3.0 beta 5 the other day before realizing he wouldnt have service. so he downgraded without issue by using dfu mode and shift + restore to 2.2.1. so tonight we upgraded the phone back to 3.0 just to check it out. but now when we try to downgrade itunes gets stuck on "preparing iphone for restore". on his laptop the iphone wouldnt even reboot, it would just stay on the connect to itunes screen and itunes would just sit there. on my laptop the iphone reboots and stops on the apple logo and itunes gets stuck on preparing iphone...

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to downgrade this phone that seems to be stuck on 3.0? thanks !
    2009-05-15 07:15 AM
    well, im not sure on how to downgrade the iphone 3.0 beta 5. but i know you can activate it and bypass the UDID activation. here's how...
    Bypass UDID and Activate iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 5 | FSMdotCOM
    good luck!
    2009-05-15 08:53 AM
    going to try that right now. thanks ! im a little out of the loop since i sold my iphone.
    2009-05-15 04:15 PM
    let us know how it went
    2009-05-15 04:40 PM
    Hi!Weel,this happened to me and here is what i did to restore 100% working iPhone 2G:

1 - With usb plugged in pc and in iPhone and iTunes opened press and hold Power On/Off button for 5 seconds or until screens turn off

2 - After this again press and hold Power On/Off button for 5 seconds

3 - Keep pressing Power On/Off button but now press and hold Home button for 10 sconds

4 - Now release Power On/Off button and keep pressing Home button por 20 seconds or until Windows starts to install some iPhone drivers

5 - Done that iTunes should show a message saying that there is an iPhone in restore mode. Press and hold "Shift" and click in Restore and choose the firmware you have donwload.

6 - Now just wait until iTunes recover and then made unlock normal process.

That worked with me and hope this can help you!
    2009-05-15 04:48 PM
    let us know how it went
    worked perfect first try. thanks !
    2009-05-16 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD