User Tag List

Iphone 2G running new 3.0 GM review, Posted Today, 03:31 PM | Report #1
    I have succesfully upgraded my 2G 2.2.1 to the new 3.0 GM firmware. If you wish to do the same, you will require a unlocked/activated CUSTOM firmware, restore the iphone with this new 2.2.1 firmware then SHIFT+UPGRADE to the new 3.0 firmware. Once you are finished you will have a stock unlocked/activated iphone running 3.0. PLEASE NOTE: Until a jailbreak and/or activation is released you wont have Cydia, Installer or any other apps. Only the apps that you legally download from Apple will be on your Iphone even after you do a restore from your original backup.

The following are some of the new features I have noticed: Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

1- When using the camera, photos seem to be more clearer and crisp.

2- There is a small Icon that appears on the bottom left of the screen when the Camera is activated, this allows you to view the photo that you have just shot.

3- The phone itself seems to run a bit faster, and battery life appears to be improved.

3- A search menu appears when you swipe to the left from the HOME screen.

4- Skype runs excellent

5- AP NEW loads and runs better

6- VOICE MEMO included in 3.0 also offers excellent recording, not bad for a built-in mic

7- YOU TUBE however does NOT load

8- Stocks APP has a few minor appearance changes

9- Copy and Paste is now available, though the APP store versions I think are better

In a nutshell the above is all that I can report at the moment.
    2009-06-11 05:36 PM
    You must have something wrong with YouTube as I also have the gm3.0 on a 2g iPhone and YouTube works fine
    2009-06-11 08:28 PM
    You forgot landscape keyboard in mail and other Apple apps.
    2009-06-12 04:43 AM
    done1234: Thank you for the correction.
    2009-06-12 06:06 AM
    What ever happened to meebo being native?
    2009-06-12 06:33 AM
    In addition to your minor updates to the stocks app, try the landscape view for the stocks app
    2009-06-12 06:56 AM
    Yeah Messaging is all landscape and you can delete+forward individual messages , theres little things like "Shake to Shuffle" in iPod , pretty happy with 3.0.
    2009-06-12 06:56 AM
    Also 2G with 3.0 here, YouTube works fine for me

Another little difference, if you are on your 4th page of apps, hitting the home button once will bring you to the first page
    Last edited by Junior2377; 2009-06-12 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-12 07:02 AM
    Another little difference, if you are on your 4th page of apps, hitting the home button once will bring you to the first page
    Hasn't that been the case for quite a while now, and not something new in 3.0? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
    2009-06-12 07:46 AM
    How's the performance relative to 2.2.1? Also, I'm using T-Mobile. I am correct in assuming I should NOT upgrade yet?
    2009-06-12 09:56 AM
    I don't think so, I could be wrong but I don't think anything happened when you hit the home button before. Can anyone clarify?
    2009-06-12 10:03 AM
    This isn't so much a review as a list of factual observations. One thing you did state is that your battery life is improved, I have to say I see the opposite. My battery life dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY. To the point where I looked at it last night before I was even going to bed and I was in the red. I usually put it on my iHome safely in green. I want to say I was playing with it more but I played with my 2.2.1 JB phone way more. More to do :-/. I do agree, however, that it is heaps faster and the spotlight function is top notch. Landscape is also something I'm enjoying although I find myself forgetting that I can do it. The messages UI is just different in general because the sending progress bar is on the top and the message enters into your window before it actually sends.

Another thing I noticed was that when you find a phone #, whether someone sends it to you in a text or it's in Safari holding on it presents the option for you to text that number, add it as a contact, call it and something else. Previously you were only able to call or cancel. This is HUGE bonus because i always want to text these numbers, never call. Anyways, there is plenty of other stuff I've found as well. Lots of hidden little surprises in 3.0.
    2009-06-12 10:42 AM
    I posted this question earlier. Is it only me or was there a camera icon in the texting window so that you could add SMS into the conversation>? for some reason in my 3G GM version this now is gone.

only thing I can think of is that this is in fact the 2g GM version and as such there is no MMS option anyone else have anything on this?
    2009-06-12 02:20 PM
    What about video camera? Does it record video?
    2009-06-12 06:18 PM
    what about voice control?
    2009-06-13 03:48 AM
    What about video camera? Does it record video?
    Cydia. Unless you want to upgrade to 3GS.
    2009-06-13 06:46 AM
    Thanks for the review.

Is Safari any faster?

Is there less RAM(Available Memory) due to the more functions (Voice memo, Search function, Copy/Paste)?

2009-06-13 06:58 AM