First of all hello.

I am a new iphone user, got it 2 weeks ago.
    I bought it from a second hand phone shop unlocked and in settings/general/about it says it is version 1.1.3(4A93). I asked if it was 2nd gen and was told it was,but after asking on a IRC channel someone said if it was silver on the back its a 1st gen iphone. Cydia is installed,but i have a basic version as it says "you are using iphone os 1,x ect ect you are strongly advised to upgrade to iphoneos 2.x using pwnage tool".

So my questions are
    1.how can i find out if i have 1g or 2g ?
    2. Can i upgrade ?
    3. How (in very basic instructions) do i do it

If anyone can help me and they are very patient i would be grateful
    2009-06-11 09:44 PM
    1g iphone is silver on the back. 2g iphone is white or black on the back. If the back of ur iphone is silver u have 1g and will need to buy a new iphone that the back of is white or black if u want an upgrade.

Edit:By upgrade did u mean the software or hardware? You can upgrade ur 1.1.3 to a more up to date version if that's whatyou mean

edit2: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....parison-3g.jpg

follow that link. If you have the one on the left you have a 1g iphone
    Last edited by 987987; 2009-06-11 at 11:52 PM.
    2009-06-11 11:46 PM
    Welcome to MMi
    Here is a link to upgrade your phone. The previous post has a link so you can make sure what phone you have although I truly believe you ave a 1st gen.
    You'll have no problems with this site. Explains everything as well as links to files you'll need, pics and step by step instructions.
    Enjoy..................O_o
    2009-06-12 12:07 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply and link. I do have 1g then as it is the left hand one in the picture. Sorry I did mean firmware upgrade as I want a beter cydia version and any other extras a higher firmware has.

Thank you
    2009-06-12 08:40 AM
    Blkcadi i took your advice and have just successfully updated to FM 3.0. I did wait a while cos i was a bit worried but it was a peice of cake. Oh i used redsnOw, man i was so nervous it was like taking my driving test again.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU,THANK YOU.
    2009-06-23 08:40 PM
    Blkcadi i took your advice and have just successfully updated to FM 3.0. I did wait a while cos i was a bit worried but it was a peice of cake. Oh i used redsnOw, man i was so nervous it was like taking my driving test again.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU,THANK YOU.
    Glad it worked out for you, enjoy...................O_o

you can hit the "thanks " button too just sayin"
    2009-06-23 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD