I upgraded to 3.o firmware, then got the error
    "could not activate cellular data network: you are not subscribed to a cellular data service". After some serious Googling (is that a word) I found the site Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone. Go there, and you can select your carrier, and it will update you phone with the appropriate APN settings.

If you don't believe me, Google unlockit.co.nz.

Thanks everyone for the help this site provides. I hope this is a valuable contribution.
    2009-06-16 01:26 AM
    wow thanks a lot man
    2009-06-24 06:30 PM
    I always just go to AT&T with that error. They seem to fix it.
    16GB iPhone 3G S⃣ White
    8GB iPhone 3G Black
    30GB iPod Classic
    2009-06-24 09:07 PM
    But I did this before 3.0 was officially out. So I was in an unsupported state at the time.
    2009-06-24 11:21 PM
    Man this is a life saver, Thanks a lot.
    2009-06-25 04:12 PM
    Dude Lifesaver is an understatement!!! You rule!!!
    2009-07-02 05:56 AM
    A better solutio to add the cellular data configuration to the phone, the file needed for AT&T as attached. Here’s how to use it.

Unzip
    Close iTunes
    enter the following command to enable itunes to use ipcc
    "%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    then open iTunes and connect your phone
    click shift-update in iTunes to update your phone
    there'll be a drop down that lets you select file type ipcc
    open the file you saved.
    Let it update the phone
    Reboot the phone
    all fixed

I've done this, it works.

The file came from: Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone
    The directions are at: Uploading IPCC files via Itunes 8.2
    ‎‎
    BTW, if you have a PayPal account, toss the guy a few shekels.
    Attached Files
    2009-07-02 04:49 PM
    Before At&T reclaimed it's throne, Access Point Name (APN) settings for then Cingular wireless were never hidden. As a matter of fact, if you were using a Windows mobile smart phone, there once existed a place on Cingulars website detailing how to go about changing your carrier settings. At&t has not changed the original Cingular name as part of their APN setup. Craig Whitmore who has a genius website Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone, has saved my nerves, money and time and I'm sure if you are experiencing similar problems with the "could not activate cellular data" message, will save you as well. Many, many thanks to MiPhoan for posting this solution and please, when you visit the site, throw the guy a couple of bucks and leave a message.

Oh and P.S. when you are updating your APN, go online using your iPhone. If you use your computer to access his site, it won't work.
    Last edited by stmartinb; 2009-07-16 at 10:25 AM.
    2009-07-16 10:12 AM
    Great thanks. I ended up taking the phone to the carrier and they had a patch which to fixed it - this time anyway.
    2010-07-06 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD