Hey so I know I know....stupid me. I didn't check any websites before upgrading to 3.0 and thus, didn't see the warnings. So anyway, originally jailbroke my phone with Quickpwn. Nothing special, just tried to upgrade today and it bricked. How do I get it back to normal? I don't care about the jailbreaking for right now, I think for now I'm going to leave it factory, I just want my phone to work again and have the 3.0 firmware. Help and Thanks!
    2009-06-18 12:40 AM
    I see this is your first post so let me say, Welcome yo MMi

Good news is it's not bricked.
    Put your phone in DFU mode and restore in iTunes.
    Here are instructions if your not sure how to.

INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:

Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.

Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.

Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Good luck.
    2009-06-18 12:44 AM
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that every time I try and restore through iTunes it gives me an error.
    2009-06-18 12:48 AM
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that every time I try and restore through iTunes it gives me an error.

What's the error (number?)
    2009-06-18 12:49 AM
    1611. Sometimes it changes, but it's a general jailbreak error message if I understand correctly.
    2009-06-18 12:51 AM
    DFU mode should allow to restore.
    2009-06-18 12:53 AM
    1611. Sometimes it changes, but it's a general jailbreak error message if I understand correctly.
    blkcadi beat me to the punch - put your phone in DFU mode (with iTunes on and the phone plugged into to the USB port, press and hold the home and sleep buttons for exactly 10 seconds, then release, etc.)

More explicit details of the DFU mode (should you need) can be found here
    2009-06-18 12:56 AM
    put the phone into DFU mode WITHOUT it being connected via usb. once in DFU mode then connect it to the computer. this should fix your problem. please update us after this.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2009-06-18 01:04 AM
    let's just clarify on DFU mode. When it's in DFU, the USB cord and iTunes logo should NOT appear right? If they are on screen that means it's in recovery mode?
    2009-06-18 01:06 AM
    Here's a video, also in a post above is a link to iClarified site that has pictures too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page]YouTube - How To Set Your iPhone / iPod Touch In To DFU Mode And Unbrick Your Device[/ame]
    2009-06-18 01:13 AM
    tried the way shown in the video, now it gives me error message 1600....
    2009-06-18 01:37 AM
    Mine shows code 20
    2009-06-18 02:14 AM
    it's all good now. Thanks for all the help.
    2009-06-18 02:15 AM
    Thebubs, what did you do? I'm having the same problem!
    2009-06-18 07:50 AM
    Remember if you want to downgrade to 2.2.1 you have to use itunes 8.1 NOT 8.2 as you cant jailbreak with 8.2 YET.

They are suppose to release winpwn for 3.0 sometime today... 3.0 came out last night so I'm still waiting for winpwn so I can upgrade.
    2009-06-18 09:19 AM
    thebubs, how did you fix it ? im still stuck at the emergency calls screen. tried to downgrade but it keeps on bring up error 1600. im using itunes 8.1. please help.
    2009-06-18 03:54 PM
    Ok guys after a day of messing with this dang thing I finally downgraded. Heres how I did it, I read a post that said put it in DFU mode then connect it. So on a separate computer and put the phone in DFU mode. I disconnected the phone then went to a computer that I put Itunes 7.7 on. I restored with 2.1 firmware. Finally!!! Maybe this will work for you guys. Good luck.
    2009-06-18 10:55 PM
    i'm such an idiot...
    i had 2.2 working fine and because i'm getting 3g s tomorrow my friend wanted to buy my 2g phone off me.. I told him I would wipe my phone and sell it to him.

So I upgraded to 3.0 no problem, everything was working fine. I got the stupid stupid stupid idea to wipe all of my files media and data which took 2 hours. I'm sitting here looking at my 2G iPhone which is to be sold in a matter of hours and I could almost cry.

I DFU'ed it, i'm trying the DFU before connecting via USB and am praying it works. I'm trying to restore using that 2.2 Custom Firmware from here that I found a while ago. I am so tired of seeing error 1601 and 1600

FML.

EDIT: hOLY CRAP! I used 2.1 firmware and it worked. It's 1:52 AM so I'm guessing I wasn't reading something right... Final freaking ly it works again!

If anyone has this problem as I'm sure you've read in this thread, this just confirms it:

1. Unplug USB and DFU your iPhone.
    2. After DFU connect it to a computer that never had iTunes 8.2. I used 8.0 and it worked.
    3. After you connect it detects your phone in DFU, shift+restore and select 2.1 firmware, then QuickPwn. No 16XX errors.!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by jbyun04; 2009-06-19 at 11:06 AM.
    2009-06-19 10:47 AM
    No matter what you do it won't allow you to downgrade from 3.0 GM to any OS directly ... do it this way ..

Jailbreak your OS 3.0 GM using QuickPwn 3.0 Beta 5 + OS 3.0 Beta 5 (7a312g) and will put it into DFU Mode (Pink Color) after jailbreak ... when in DFU mode (Pink) then downgrade to Beta 2 0r 3 ... iTunes will tell you its expired already just ignore the message ... then you can downgrade and restore to 2.2.1 ... an error will comes out error 1013 just ignor the error 1013 ... Close Itunes and turn off your iPhone ... open QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 and connect your iPhone (OFF Mode) then click OK from the first message of QuickPwn and do nothing on QuickPwn ... Press the power switch of Iphone for at least 2 seconds then logo of apple when come out and QuickPwn will remove the DFU of your iPhone and instead Emergency Call will comes out then you can now activate it in iTunes ...

If you want to downgrade to Beta 5 ... from DFU mode (pink color) after jailbreak from OS 3.0 GM just restore beta 5 (7a312g) and thats it .... your Beta 5 is on your iPhone
    2009-06-19 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD