User Tag List

I've been on Apple's forums and it is awash with people having battery issues since upgrading their original 2g iPhone to 3.0. No-one seems to have a solution yet.

My battery is running down in a matter of hours, where previously it could last a couple days between charges.

This means that there is some battery-HOG of an App or other function running in the background sapping the juice even in stand-by mode. The phone is also feeling warm (like when you are charging it)

I have switched off Location Services (whatever that is), but it is still draining. What next?

Is this a firmware problem?

Let's get some ideas going....
    2009-06-24 12:10 AM
    I upgraded a friend's 2g and his battery life has actually improved. My 3g battery has improved as well.
    2009-06-24 12:23 AM
    I think the battery life on my 2g improved also, if not..then its the same.
    2009-06-24 02:18 AM
    I installed 3.0 on my 2G and it worked fine until I installed textfree w/push and its absolutely KILLING my battery. If i cant find a fix in the next few days im going back to 2.2.1
    2009-07-01 04:43 AM
    If you turn off PUSH, everything goes back to normal. Push is working in the background killing your battery life.
    2009-07-01 07:36 AM
    I have push, location, bluetooth, wifi, SSH all OFF but my iphone 2G is still draining battery like nobody's business!! What is going on!! :-(
    2009-07-01 08:44 AM

try that out, I just did it

I did this last night, and have noticed a better battery life, mine wasn't really THAT bad from the beginning but, i have noticed improvement.

Last edited by PSYC0TIC ONE; 2009-07-02 at 12:48 AM.
    2009-07-01 10:03 AM
    The only way I managed to fix that battery issue was by removing all push services, first of all.

But the real problem is the fact that the "Data Cellular Network" seems to sap all the battery, so to speak. My advice to Jailbroken users is to Download SBSettings and Switch OFF 'Edge'. I can almost garauntee that will solve, if not at least help, the battery drain. Hope this Helps.
    2009-07-01 10:30 AM
    what´s the point of switching off Push Notifications, one of the coolest new functions of 3.0?
    2009-07-01 10:35 AM
    I know it's stupid, but this is an issue Apple has to fix. But at least this gives you a temporary solution until then.
    2009-07-01 10:37 AM
    I uninstalled my push apps after my phone would drain to 0% even after turning the notifications off. Now that i uninstalled the apps i can actually charge my phone past 7%! Im going to do the fix that was posted above and let yall know.
    2009-07-01 03:41 PM
    Push doesn't even work on 2G iphone, does it?
    2009-07-01 03:57 PM
    Push works. You have to have an app that sends push notifications. It kills your battery like no tomorrow. Trying to fix now.
    2009-07-01 04:36 PM
    The reason the battery is going dead so fast is because you are not on an iphone data plan. Trust me I been threw everything trying to figure it out. I bet you most people that are having problems with the battery is NOT ON AN IPHONE DATA PLAN. U can't have the iPhone on 3.0 firmware without the iPhone data plan. The cellular network is going to keep trying to get data even when your not using it and your phone will get very warm. If u don't believe me, put a sim in your phone from an iPhone that has the iPhone data plan, your battery usage will be back to normal.
    2009-09-02 03:45 AM
    I can confirm that I just bought a new 3Gs and unlocked it the same day in Florida. I popped in my BMobile Sim from Trinidad (which has a roaming agreement with ATT). No data plan. The battery lasted very long. However, as soon as I landed in Trinidad (now not roaming on ATT), the battery started to deplete fast. I had to switch off the Push notification for it to stop depleting. I haven't had a problem since. Conclusion, there may be some merit to Dooley19's comments. The ATT connection may have some correlation.
    2009-09-02 04:07 AM
    Remember that al lot of battery issues in any iPhone running 3.0 will be much better in 3.1. 3.1 will optimize all the new features in 3.0 for the best use of battery and probably the bloody wifi.

Until then try all the tips people have mentioned I.E. turning off wifi and bluetooth when your not using them, turn down brightness and turn off all uneeded push notifications. Also set your iphone to auto lock faster
    2009-09-02 08:23 PM