Greetings,

Perhaps I am the only one, but all of this jailbreaking business has me overwhelmed. There is so much information about it, so many sites, so many youtube videos and so many programs I am completely lost.
    I have an iPhone 3G, 8GB, OS 3.0. Never had any issues with my phone, no apple-screen-of-death and no APP issues ever. Been a great marriage of human and technology... I consider myself lucky after reading about some of the issues out there. I used Windows Vista on a very new laptop.
    So, here is what I ask. One solid answer, concise but detailed:
    A. WHAT is jailbreaking exactly. Can it be done with 3.0 without rolling the OS back?
    B. WHAT are the known hazards/consequences of jailbreaking my iPhone. Will my iPhone work normally after jailbreaking or is it like working with a buggy version of Windows 98 on an old desktop.
    C. WHAT is the best program (keeping in mind my systems) to use to jailbreak my iPhone OS 3.0.
    D. HOW, step by step, do I jailbreak my iPhone using the above program.
    E. Bonus points, I love Star Trek. Can I make it look like a Star Trek LCARS padd? And where would I find that.

I appreciate the person who takes the time to answer this. I know that there are probably many threads where this information is all scattered but if searching through those would work for me I would not be posting this asking for a consolidated answer to these questions.
    2009-06-28 02:55 AM
    Greetings,

Perhaps I am the only one, but all of this jailbreaking business has me overwhelmed. There is so much information about it, so many sites, so many youtube videos and so many programs I am completely lost.
    I have an iPhone 3G, 8GB, OS 3.0. Never had any issues with my phone, no apple-screen-of-death and no APP issues ever. Been a great marriage of human and technology... I consider myself lucky after reading about some of the issues out there. I used Windows Vista on a very new laptop.
    So, here is what I ask. One solid answer, concise but detailed:
    A. WHAT is jailbreaking exactly. Can it be done with 3.0 without rolling the OS back?
    B. WHAT are the known hazards/consequences of jailbreaking my iPhone. Will my iPhone work normally after jailbreaking or is it like working with a buggy version of Windows 98 on an old desktop.
    C. WHAT is the best program (keeping in mind my systems) to use to jailbreak my iPhone OS 3.0.
    D. HOW, step by step, do I jailbreak my iPhone using the above program.
    E. Bonus points, I love Star Trek. Can I make it look like a Star Trek LCARS padd? And where would I find that.

I appreciate the person who takes the time to answer this. I know that there are probably many threads where this information is all scattered but if searching through those would work for me I would not be posting this asking for a consolidated answer to these questions.
    A: yes, J/B allows you to customize your iPhone can be done easily on 3.0
    B: no hazards, you can always restore in iTunes if you have a problem.
    C: Best program for J/B, follow this link, it's a tree type menu and click on what apply's to you. Quite simply really. Make sure you follow the instructions to a "tee". or you will have to begin again fresh.
    D:answer in link
    E: bonus points, there are many great Star Trek icars type themes available, you'll love 'em.

And yes, there are many threads, take the time and look around.
    I see you have been a member for a while but this is your first post. So let me be the first to say Welcome to MMi
    Enjoy and have fun.........................O_o
    2009-06-28 03:08 AM
    All right, so a question about restoring. I've never had luck restoring my phone, and it is from a lack of knowledge. And most times it is my computer that got formatted and my phone shortly after. So, if something goes wrong with jailbreaking:
    A: can EVERYTHING be restored by iTunes, or just some things. (Pictures, Music, APPS, videos)
    B: Does jailbreaking erase what is on the phone?
    C: HOW do I restore if something goes wrong.

I see no one is answering my above question, so here is another one.
    After jailbreaking, what is next? I read about OpenSSH, iPhone Browser, Spring/Summerboard. What are all of those?
    Last edited by AmadeusKaelPyralis; 2009-06-30 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-30 03:48 AM
    Welcome to MMi, forgot to say that last time, my bad.

A: yes, all pics contacts music and settings that were not 3rd party (jailbroken)
    B: yes, sets it up as a new phone, then you sync with itunes after Jailbreak and it's like magic, LOL
    C: in iTunes, just set up as new phone, never from back up.

Open SSH allows you to go into the Phones file system to make changes and mods, a must have, Free downloads available.
    iPhone Browser is a tool for ssh but I would say use WinSCP, free also
    Springboard id like your desktop, where the apps are on the screen.

I thought I answered all your questions. Bonus Points? lmao
    2009-06-30 03:57 AM
    Yes, slowly you are answering ALL of my questions.
    So, if all of this jailbreaking business opens up the iPhone for such customization why does Apple go to such lengths to discourage it. I once posted this question on Apple.com "What is jailbreaking" and they completely eradicated the post. It was like I never posted it. And when I posted it again (because I thought my connection crapped out) they gave me one stern warning to never post about the jailbreaking matter again or I would be removed from the forums. I mean, obviously not everyone is going to enjoy the standard autonomus blue and white no background iPhone that EVERYONE has. Why not embrace jailbreaking, make a way for Apple to harness its goodness for the benefit of everyone?

Oh, and can I still use iTunes to sync, and download APPs from Apples APP Store? Or will that all change?

And what is "Installer APP"? I have been wanting ROMS on my iPhone and I have been reading a lot about them.
    Last edited by AmadeusKaelPyralis; 2009-07-01 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-01 12:31 AM
    Yes, slowly you are answering ALL of my questions.
    So, if all of this jailbreaking business opens up the iPhone for such customization why does Apple go to such lengths to discourage it. I once posted this question on Apple.com "What is jailbreaking" and they completely eradicated the post. It was like I never posted it. And when I posted it again (because I thought my connection crapped out) they gave me one stern warning to never post about the jailbreaking matter again or I would be removed from the forums. I mean, obviously not everyone is going to enjoy the standard autonomus blue and white no background iPhone that EVERYONE has. Why not embrace jailbreaking, make a way for Apple to harness its goodness for the benefit of everyone?

Oh, and can I still use iTunes to sync, and download APPs from Apples APP Store? Or will that all change?

And what is "Installer APP"? I have been wanting ROMS on my iPhone and I have been reading a lot about them.
    iTunes app sync and purchase will not change.

Installer app has gone by the wayside and no one (most anyway)uses it. Cydia and winterboard are the preferred.

Not sure why Apple are so against themeing the iPhone, guess they like it the way it is, drones. lmao
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-01 at 12:37 AM.
    2009-07-01 12:34 AM
    I've read about Cydia, and I've heard it costs money. What is Winterboard?
    2009-07-01 12:46 AM
    I've read about Cydia, and I've heard it costs money. What is Winterboard?
    Not sure where you read about Cydia costing money, but no totally wrong. It's free. There are however apps that have been offered in Cydia that you can pay for similar to the App Store.

Winterboard was developed to allow and manage themeing and customization. An awesome app. There are those that believe that it will slow down your phone a bit, I have been using it myself since it was released and have had no issues or slowing of my phone.
    2009-07-01 12:53 AM
    Ok... big problem.
    I jailbroke my phone (Finally, I know. Could anyone sit on the fence as long as I?) and installed iPhoneBrowser and WinSCP. When I open WinSCP I get this WinSCP Login screen that is asking me for numbers and letters I have NO CLUE how to enter. What do I do!?
    2009-07-01 04:22 AM
    Ok... big problem.
    I jailbroke my phone (Finally, I know. Could anyone sit on the fence as long as I?) and installed iPhoneBrowser and WinSCP. When I open WinSCP I get this WinSCP Login screen that is asking me for numbers and letters I have NO CLUE how to enter. What do I do!?
    It's asking for your wifi address, go to settings/wifi/and your address will be there.

here is a video that will make it much easier

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFUj3uxCVA&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFUj3uxCVA&feature=channel[/ame]
    2009-07-01 04:26 AM
    Ok... so what does SCP do that IPhoneBrowser does not? I got iPhoneBrowser to work and I have been tinkering with it.

I am having issues with ROMS. Cydia's only available ROM emulator costs $5.99 and hell will freeze before I invest any more money into video games. Where can I get a free, usable, ROM emulator... and how do I install it? I looked through the web some and there were a few options but there were no instructions on how to install the Emulator.
    2009-07-01 05:00 AM
    Ok... so what does SCP do that IPhoneBrowser does not? I got iPhoneBrowser to work and I have been tinkering with it.

I am having issues with ROMS. Cydia's only available ROM emulator costs $5.99 and hell will freeze before I invest any more money into video games. Where can I get a free, usable, ROM emulator... and how do I install it? I looked through the web some and there were a few options but there were no instructions on how to install the Emulator.

You have come a long way in a few days, nice work my friend.
    They are basically the same thing, most prefer WinScp, but what ever you like is fine.
    As far as your other question, you will have to do a search for the answer you seek. There are indeed ways, but we do not support them here on the forum.

Have you checked out any Star Trek themes yet, there are tons, Enjoy.
    Funny That I happen to be on line every time you post. lmao Not really, Single mom with no life, lmao again.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-01 at 05:09 AM.
    2009-07-01 05:06 AM
    lol Yea, I wait for you to be online so I can get a response. I am an instant gratification kind of person.
    ROMS and emulators not supported here, eh? Sad. And no, I am just absorbing all of this new information for jailbreaking. I cannot wait to try them out, though.
    So, if iPhoneBrowser is working for me, there is no need for SCP? I just did everything the video asked and I keep getting timed out, and told to abort. So, if the Browser does the same thing then there is no point to keeping SCP if it keeps timing out.
    2009-07-01 05:11 AM
    The reason it times out usually is if you let the phone go into sleep mode.
    You were asking about free stuff,

Here try this out Enjoy
    2009-07-01 05:17 AM
    So, do I use Cydia for LCARS Star Trek themes? If so, how do I get them to actually apply to my phone. I downloaded one... but my phone looks the same.
    2009-07-01 05:38 AM
    Yup, open winterboard and put a tick or check by it. If you do not have winterboard, download it in Cydia.
    Winterboard works in a priority, theme on the bottom and then everything else you download on top. Say you have X theme and you want to use SMS bubbles form another, put it on top of the theme and so on.
    There are like hash marks on the right side of everything that is in winterboard, put your finger there and drag it to the position you want.

Didn't even get chuckle out of you on that last link I sent you, huh. lmao
    2009-07-01 05:45 AM
    Edit:I type slower than blkcadi
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-07-01 at 05:57 AM.
    2009-07-01 05:48 AM
    Oh, make sure you read everything or do a search, not every app is compatable with 3.0 yet. There is a thread here on apps that work, you may want to check it out. Basic themes should all good, no worries.
    2009-07-01 05:49 AM
    I saw this cool theme by some German guy on YouTube. LCARS version 2.0. He spoke of iFuntastic or something like that. Do I need that, what is iFuntastic. How do I get the theme he uses... or is that his secret.

I certainly thought it was interesting you sent me a google.com search result. lol. I did the same search days earlier in my preliminary research... most of the links came up visited.
    I only understood about half of your Winterboard post about putting things ontop of others. I just downloaded Winterboard... so I am sure I will have some more questions in the morning. lol, keep an eye out.
    Last edited by AmadeusKaelPyralis; 2009-07-01 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-01 06:00 AM
    I saw this cool theme by some German guy on YouTube. LCARS version 2.0. He spoke of iFuntastic or something like that. Do I need that, what is iFuntastic. How do I get the theme he uses... or is that his secret.
    Not sure about that, search for a download link, or just search for that theme.
    If you download theme other than cydia, you will have to SSH them into your phone.
    They go in
    root/private/var/stash there you will see a folder named Themes xxxx (x=numbers)
    drop them in there and then activate in winterboard.

Edit:I type slower than blkcadi
    Lmao, and I have a cast on my arm so I'm using only 1 hand to type.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-01 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-01 06:04 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD