since i always install certain apps back and also SSH in to change the apps icons after every jailbreak/restore.....

i was wondering if there was a way that you could make/modify your own IPSW? like what the pwnage tool does but with your own app icons and the apps you want your phone to start out with.

you know, rather than restoring then going all the way back through it over and over doing the same thing, changing app icons, changing audio files, etc..... rather than that big headache everytime i just want to restore it to the phone from the get go.

is that possible?

ive tried to manually go in, change/add the files i want, recompress it and add IPSW back as the file extension, but itunes says its not a compatible file everytime.

anybody ever do this or know how to?

[Pwnage] Adding custom applications to your IPSW File | Selling Expectations this is exactly what im talking about... unfortunately this tutorial is a bit old and you cant do this anymore.

does anyone know how i can use pwnage tool to build me a "customized" custom ipsw? there used to be an app in the works but i think it fell through. it was named IPSWtool.app

this cant be that difficult to accomplish. are there any devs out there that could point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by poprocks; 2009-07-01 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-01 08:02 AM
    In PwnageTool.app

Contents > Resources > CustomPackages
    Take note of the bundles found in here;

If we take a look at the Icy bundle, inside is a 'files' directory with all the necessary files needed to make Icy run, as well as an Info.plist file for PwnageTool to read and so it knows what to do with it.

Basically you dump all the files for the app that you want in the files > Applications directory, and modify the Info.plist with the details that you want (names, as well as the appropriate files to include, and the supported models (eg, you can't use a camera app on an iPod touch, so you'd remove them from the list))

Then in PwnageTool where you add Cydia/Icy, your new bundle should show up there.

That's how it works in theory; I haven't tried it for myself.

Good luck!

(By the way, that's my tutorial you linked to in your post - cheers )
    2009-07-01 09:06 AM
    In PwnageTool.app

Contents > Resources > CustomPackages
    Take note of the bundles found in here;

If we take a look at the Icy bundle, inside is a 'files' directory with all the necessary files needed to make Icy run, as well as an Info.plist file for PwnageTool to read and so it knows what to do with it.

Basically you dump all the files for the app that you want in the files > Applications directory, and modify the Info.plist with the details that you want (names, as well as the appropriate files to include, and the supported models (eg, you can't use a camera app on an iPod touch, so you'd remove them from the list))

Then in PwnageTool where you add Cydia/Icy, your new bundle should show up there.

That's how it works in theory; I haven't tried it for myself.

Good luck!

(By the way, that's my tutorial you linked to in your post - cheers )
    yeah, i was excited to see you were the one that responded. so i looked into the cydiainstaller.bundle and found the info.plist and the Files>Applications where i imagine i would put my Apps with my modified icons and such.

now my questions:
    1)what exactly would i need to change or add in the info.plist within that cydiainstaller.bundle?
    and
    2)would i just add the other files i wanted modified to the appropriate folder and or create them in that cydiainstaller.bundle? (for example, i modify/replace System>Library>PrivateFrameworks>celestial.framewo rks>SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist)
    would i just add that in the correct location? and during the Pwnage process it would overwrite the original file with mine that i put in there?

is that pretty much what i do???
    Last edited by poprocks; 2009-07-01 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
    2009-07-01 02:38 PM
    Err, I'm not so sure about replacing files; PwnageTool might do it for you?

A better bundle to look at would've been Icy; MUCH less complicated;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>Icy</string>
    <key>Identifier</key>
    <string>com.ripdev.icy</string>
    <key>Description</key>
    <string>THE Icy.</string>
    <key>Priority</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>SupportedFirmware</key>
    <array>
    <string>iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341</string>
    <string>iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341</string>
    <string>iPod1,1_3.0_7A341</string>
    </array>
    <key>Commands</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>Action</key>
    <string>SetPermission</string>
    <key>File</key>
    <string>Applications/Icy.app/Icy</string>
    <key>Permission</key>
    <string>4755</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <key>Action</key>
    <key>File</key>
    <string>Applications/Icy.app/Trichlorotrifluoroethane</string>
    <key>Permission</key>
    <string>755</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    <key>Size</key>
    <integer>4000000</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    I suppose yours would just be

Files, containing the folders System > Library > PrivateFrameworks > Celestian.framework > SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

and your info.plist might look like this;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>System Volume Hack</string>
    <key>Identifier</key>
    <string>com.poprocks.volume</string>
    <key>Description</key>
    <string>SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist hack</string>
    <key>Priority</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>SupportedFirmware</key>
    <array>
    <string>iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341</string>
    <string>iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341</string>
    <string>iPod1,1_3.0_7A341</string>
    </array>
    <key>Commands</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>Action</key>
    <key>File</key>
    <string>System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist</string>
    <key>Permission</key>
    <string>4755</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    <key>Size</key>
    <integer>4000000</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    Or something.

Try it and see if PwnageTool can replace the file for you.

Good Luck!
    2009-07-01 02:45 PM
    oh, ok... so, am i creating my own ".bundle" to put in the same folder as the cydiainstaller.bundle and icy.bundle?

because im not that good with code and was wondering how i "add" what I needed to the icy.bundles info.plist....

im creating more .bundles right?
    2009-07-01 02:59 PM
    Yep, just copy the Icy.bundle, rename it to something different, and open up the Info.plist with a file editor, and change it (the one I made should be fine) to suit you new file.

Then set up the folders as above.
    2009-07-01 03:05 PM
    awesome, thanks for the help! Im going to try this when I get home tonight (gotta go earn some money for this habit) and if im successful ill post back and let you know...... if im not ill do the same and beg for more help

Sooo, it worked... but it made the phone extremely sluggish, i couldnt hardly slide to unlock or dismiss any messages.

the bundles showed up in the PwnageTool perfectly and it built the IPSW flawlessly. However when i loaded the IPSW to my phone, when the phone rebooted itself the first time, it froze at the apple with overlaid spinning gear (crashed it). i forced a reboot and it finished up the restore.

it took me several times to unlock/open the phone interface and from there it basically froze. BUT i saw all my lovely modified icons there! so it worked, but was completely unusable

its cool though, i think im going to just go the route of making my own theme for winterboard, which i didnt know was that easy, thanks guys.

id still like to know what went wrong with my IPSW and make it work right eventually
    Last edited by poprocks; 2009-07-02 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-02 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD