I bought a new iphone two weeks ago, so I've been trying to unlock/jailbreak my old 1st generation 2G for the last freaking week. And now I'm feeling pretty challenged. I want to set it up to accept a Tmobile sim card. The old phone is deactivated. It has an old ATT sim card in it. I downloaded and successfully (I think) pwned it with pwnage. I have the pineapple on startup. But the phone is stuck on the "connect to itunes/emergency call" screens. I've tried several different renditions of the pwnage procedure: checked and then unchecked "activate" in the General settings. Tried it with the deactivated sim card in, then with no sim card in. Same result. WTF? Why am I so flippin' lame? This is really affecting my ego...

Do I need to have a working sim card in to do this? Could I use a T-Mobile sim card? Honestly, I'd be remotely happy to have it working as an ipod touch, but I can't even do that. SADNESS! Big, huge thanks to anyone who can show me the light.
    2009-07-06 06:48 AM
    No problem, put it in DFU mode restore and then jailbreak and unlock.
    Here are instructions for DFU mode.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Now jailbreak, since you didn't say mac or pc, follow this guide.
    Once it's in DFU your good to go.
    Good luck
    2009-07-06 06:53 AM
    Thanks, blkcadie, only I've done what you suggested literally 20 times in the last week and I'm still stuck on "connect to itunes/emergency call." Any other ideas anyone?
    2009-07-06 07:16 AM
    If it is on OS 3.0 download redsn0w 0.7.x and run the program with the T-Mobile SIM inside of it. The process is pretty self-explanatory but here is a tutorial anyways. I'm assuming that you're using Windows.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-07-06 07:49 AM
    Thanks, No. I'm using a mac. How is Redsn0w different than pwnage?
    2009-07-06 05:05 PM
    Thanks, No. I'm using a mac. How is Redsn0w different than pwnage?
    It is simpler and doesn't give you the option to customize the firmware. Some people also believe that custom ISPWs from Pwnage run slower on the devices. Basically it is more user-friendly for people who are new to the JB scene.

2009-07-07 02:13 AM
    Success! I got an activated T-mobile card in it and restored to my pwnage restore file and everything works like a dream. Yeah modmy! Thanks for your help neo and blkcadi.
    2009-07-07 02:29 AM
    Welcome to the iPhone brotherhood. (That sounded kind of creepy)

2009-07-07 02:44 AM
    Success! I got an activated T-mobile card in it and restored to my pwnage restore file and everything works like a dream. Yeah modmyi Thanks for your help neo and blkcadi.
    Glad we could help, enjoy.....................O_o
    2009-07-07 02:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD