View Poll Results: Purplera1n or Redsn0w

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purplera1n

131 63.90%
  • Redsn0w

74 36.10%
    Personally I don't believe that posting off-topic or irrelevant things makes you a troll. It just makes you a spammer. I mean, I know this is a relatively lightweight forum, but you gotta know the difference.

Anyway, I jailbroke my 3GS with purplera1n 2, and everything seems to be ok except for a few small bugs. Cydia crashes occasionally for no reason, my reception randomly dies no matter where I'm at (never happened on my 2g) and I can't connect to YouTube over wifi. Can someone help me out with this?
    2 things....Makes sure you have updated Ultrasn0w to version 0.8, this corrects the wifi and signal loss issues. Second, Saurik said this on his twitter today:
    @saurik-Painfully slow Cydia experience today due to me not considering what happens if an end developer's Cydia Store API server starts timing out.

If you have the updated ultrasn0w and this issue still happens then restore and re-jailbreak using purplera1n...set up as a new phone and not from a back up. This should solve it.

PS-I am not touching the first part of your comment, but watch who you are talking to like that...3 very respected moderators on this forum who I am sure have helped you at one point or another from their posts
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-10 at 08:37 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-07-10 08:32 AM
    ^Hey thanks man. Do I need to use ultrasn0w even if I'm using AT&T? I have no need for unlock. And I'm iTunes inept, last time I set up as a new phone I couldn't figure out how to get my contacts/notes/photos back onto my phone.

And about the second part, I meant no disrespect to the mods. I'm just being nitpicky about minor differences. It's what happens when you're on the Internet too long.

But yeah, wephone was surely trolling.
    Last edited by jetfuel495; 2009-07-10 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-10 08:47 AM
    ^Hey thanks man. Do I need to use ultrasn0w even if I'm using AT&T? I have no need for unlock. And I'm iTunes inept, last time I set up as a new phone I couldn't figure out how to get my contacts/notes/photos back onto my phone.

And about the second part, I meant no disrespect to the mods. I'm just being nitpicky about minor differences. It's what happens when you're on the Internet too long.

But yeah, wephone was surely trolling.
    No, you will not need Ultrasn0w. Check out this thread for restoring a jailbroken iPhone http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...elatively.html(Skip step #1, I am not sure these apps are currently working yet on the 3GS)
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-10 at 08:56 AM.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    2009-07-10 08:53 AM
    Alright thanks man I'll check that out when I wake up tomorrow.
    2009-07-10 09:04 AM
    Melech I don't know what version of redsn0w YOU used but I did mine in <counts on fingers> ONE attempt.
    2009-07-10 09:39 AM
    lol, then you got lucky A lot of people are reporting issues with redsn0w, but I used Purplera1n anyway with no problem. I then used redsn0w(newest version)on another 3gs for comparison and experienced the same issues a lot of people reported...oh well

2009-07-10 10:33 AM
    Install cydelete from cydia. Enable non-cydia deletion. Then delete icy like you would any app
    Just a little more help please. Can't seem to figure out how to enable " non-cydia deletion". Thanks in advance.
    2009-07-10 12:13 PM
    Settings->cydelete

2009-07-10 04:07 PM
    Well your probably also using the phone alot more since the jailbreak and maybe not realizing it? I don't know but I haven't noticed a change in my battery life.
    Touché sir
    If the sun was made of baby back rips..... would you eat it?
    2009-07-10 05:01 PM
    You all define trolls this way? I thought the online reputation for MMi was a joke, but apparently it's all true. It's nothing but ignorant moderators and less informed members. Good try though.
    2009-07-10 05:13 PM
    You all define trolls this way? I thought the online reputation for MMi was a joke, but apparently it's all true. It's nothing but ignorant moderators and less informed members. Good try though.
    Why hasnt this guy gotten the ban hammer yet??? My god, I went through all of his posts last night and this guy is the epitome of a troll. If you dont like MMi so much then why do you bother posting here over and over again since 2007? You do not contribute anything but your arrogant responses to useful information and insults to people asking for help.
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-10 at 06:46 PM.

2009-07-10 05:21 PM
    i first used purplera1n RC1 then updated to purplera1n RC2a, both have worked awesome geohots tools are the ****! fastest jailbreak ive ever done and ive had the iphone since the first gen, i think ill stick with geohots tools if he keeps putting them out, still a little frustrated with the dev team and there decision to hold the iphone 3gs jailbreak tool back.. i understand why they did but as geohot said there gonna figure out the fix no matter how long we wait jailbreaking is about moving forward with every update, my push works great but im not hackavated. winterboard runs awesome on the 3gs but i cant get keyboard themes installed, minor details.
    2009-07-10 07:00 PM
    Warming up my hammer throwing arm
    2009-07-10 07:04 PM
    I thought that my problem was the cracked Intelliscreen, but I was wrong - I am having the same issue now: The "Phone" process will not run - it just crashes. I am able to make calls using Voice Dial and I do receive calls. However, when I press the green "Phone" icon in the dock, it acts like it wants to launch, but then it crashes and returns to Springboard. It happens in about second. I also can't launch "Favorite Contacts" by pressing the "Home" button twice.

I can launch "Contacts" and place a call that way, but once the call launches, it immediately cuts back to Springboard, with the Green bar at the top which reads "Press to return to call" - but if I press it nothing happens.

In SBSettings I can see that the "Phone" process is not running.

I tried disabling things in Winterboard, uninstalling the couple apps from the AppStore that I have downloaded...to no avail...many re-springs and reboots.

Can someone please help? There's got to be something I can do...SSH in and delete some .plist? Or re-run Purplera1n? But what happens if I re-run Purplera1n - will it uninstall or re-install Cydia?

Thanks for your help - there is no possible way I am the only one having this issue, since I jhave not done anything funky... Though my searches yielded nothing so far...
    2009-07-10 07:06 PM
    One last thing...I still can't install iMario's Supreme Prefs - screenie attached:
    Attached Thumbnails 3g[s] Jailbreak/Unlock Redsn0w vs. Purplera1n-photo.jpg  
    2009-07-10 07:08 PM
    ^ Have you double checked the permissions of you phone app?
    2009-07-10 07:13 PM
    I have not... What should they be set to?

Thanks
    2009-07-10 07:25 PM
    Warming up my hammer throwing arm
    ^+1 Do it!!!!

I thought that my problem was the cracked Intelliscreen, but I was wrong - I am having the same issue now: The "Phone" process will not run - it just crashes. I am able to make calls using Voice Dial and I do receive calls. However, when I press the green "Phone" icon in the dock, it acts like it wants to launch, but then it crashes and returns to Springboard. It happens in about second. I also can't launch "Favorite Contacts" by pressing the "Home" button twice.

I can launch "Contacts" and place a call that way, but once the call launches, it immediately cuts back to Springboard, with the Green bar at the top which reads "Press to return to call" - but if I press it nothing happens.

In SBSettings I can see that the "Phone" process is not running.

I tried disabling things in Winterboard, uninstalling the couple apps from the AppStore that I have downloaded...to no avail...many re-springs and reboots.

Can someone please help? There's got to be something I can do...SSH in and delete some .plist? Or re-run Purplera1n? But what happens if I re-run Purplera1n - will it uninstall or re-install Cydia?

Thanks for your help - there is no possible way I am the only one having this issue, since I jhave not done anything funky... Though my searches yielded nothing so far...
    Punishment for installing cracked apps?? Restore, Let it Ra1n, set up as new phone and not from backup....fight the will to download cracked apps in the future

2009-07-10 07:37 PM
    Perhaps I have been unclear - I already did all of that - I am on a clean installation of Purplera1n - I did a fresh factory restore then made it rain and I have been very fastidious about which apps I've installed - ie, only those which are currently listed as stable for 3GS Purplerain RC2. Cracked apps has nothing to do with my issue - I have no cracked apps, no mobileinstallation patch either.

@ StealthBravo: sorry - noobish question here, but can you please post the path to Phone.app?

Thanks for your help
    2009-07-10 07:51 PM
    Perhaps I have been unclear - I already did all of that - I am on a clean installation of Purplera1n - I did a fresh factory restore then made it rain and I have been very fastidious about which apps I've installed - ie, only those which are currently listed as stable for 3GS Purplerain RC2. Cracked apps has nothing to do with my issue - I have no cracked apps, no mobileinstallation patch either.

@ StealthBravo: sorry - noobish question here, but can you please post the path to Phone.app?

Thanks for your help
    /applications/mobilephone.app
    /var/stash/applications/mobilephone.app

Check out this thread http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...app-crash.html
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-10 at 08:16 PM.

2009-07-10 08:09 PM
206 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD