User Tag List

hey guys,

ok basically i want to save all my contacts sms, bookmarks settings etc off my iphone 3g with out using itunes... because i want to start my phone in a clean slate and restore it as a new iphone... but if i do that i wont get all those back... to be honest i just need my sms and contacts settings are not that important...

if there any way i can do this?

thanks guys!

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"
    2009-07-09 02:37 AM
    Contacts you should be able to sync into your address book on your computer, then sync back. SMS you can SSH into the sms app and copy of the .db file.
    2009-07-09 02:39 AM
    thanks for the reply cpjr, ok ive gone into my iphone via ssh, and went to aplication then chose, Mobilesms.app but i cant seem to find the .db file there theres a whole lot of folders ( i think for like language etc), and a few other things but nothing with.db at the end? any idea?

2009-07-09 03:12 AM
    Honestly I don't know why you don't want to just run an iTunes backup. You'll keep all your settings, contacts, photos, photos, texts,app settings, and anything else you can think of, and it won't affect your jailbreak at all. Restore into a clean phone, jailbreak, restore from backup, sync, done.
    2009-07-09 07:11 AM
    Honestly I don't know why you don't want to just run an iTunes backup. You'll keep all your settings, contacts, photos, photos, texts,app settings, and anything else you can think of, and it won't affect your jailbreak at all. Restore into a clean phone, jailbreak, restore from backup, sync, done.
    thats the thing i dont want to restore from a backup.. i want to start it as a new iphone.... and if i do i wont be able to sync my sms etc...

2009-07-09 10:05 AM
    From what I understand though when you restore from a backup you're really just getting your settings and stuff back. Your phone is still new and clean because you completely reinstalled the firmware. I think you're just troubling yourself without any real benefit.

Like if you were to restore a backup of your computer, it would put everything back the way it was OS included, which you may not want if you want a clean install of windows or something.

This iPhone restore from backup though you can think of more as syncing after a clean install of the OS. For example, I was having some issues the first time I jailbroke. I made a backup of the phone in a jailbroken state while it was having those problems. After restoring firmware, jailbreaking again, and restoring from the backup i made, I didn't have any problems anymore, so any OS or jailbreaking related issues won't transfer over.
    Last edited by oahz; 2009-07-09 at 05:17 PM.
    2009-07-09 05:07 PM
    From what I understand though when you restore from a backup you're really just getting your settings and stuff back. Your phone is still new and clean because you completely reinstalled the firmware. I think you're just troubling yourself without any real benefit.

Like if you were to restore a backup of your computer, it would put everything back the way it was OS included, which you may not want if you want a clean install of windows or something.

This iPhone restore from backup though you can think of more as syncing after a clean install of the OS. For example, I was having some issues the first time I jailbroke. I made a backup of the phone in a jailbroken state while it was having those problems. After restoring firmware, jailbreaking again, and restoring from the backup i made, I didn't have any problems anymore, so any OS or jailbreaking related issues won't transfer over.
    ty for the advise... but i have been haivng baterry draining problems my battery would die with in 3-4 hours topps and there were a few other people that had a similar so they retored the iphone as a new iphone and the problem was solve... ive just done that and my problem has been solve...

once again thanks for the advise! but if really didnt help

2009-07-09 06:06 PM
    I heard of battery problems for 2G iPhones using 3.0 firmware. Didn't know it affected 3G.

Jailbreaking totally killed the battery life on my 3GS.

And by killed the battery life I mean I've been keeping autolock off so I can ssh into the phone and tinker around with winterboard themes for hours on end...
    2009-07-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD