hi all, i am sorry if this question or problem has been asked before, i am new to this so please bare with me ok. i have an iphone 3g, version 2.2, i jail broke my iphone 3g a few months ago with no problems, i would like to upgrade to the new 3.0 os but i dont know what to do! do i have to restore my iphone3g via itunes then upgrade the software 3.0? but is there a reliable way of jailbreaking the 3.0 software? or should i just keep my phone the way it is. i have read lots of horror stories and as i am not very technical, dont want to turn my beloved iphone 3g into a brick! please guys any help that you could give me would be great, step by step instructions would also help. thanks.
    2009-07-18 06:05 PM
    Welcome to MMi
    No worries, pretty simply process and you will not turn your iPhone into a brick. Since I don't know whether you have a Mac or PC. Follow this link to a tree type menu. Just follow along to what applies and then click.
    If for some reason you have a problem you can always restore in iTunes.
    Update your iTunes to ver. 8.2 and then update your phone to 3.0.
    Jailbreak and Bobs your uncle. Pretty easy.
    2009-07-18 06:20 PM
    thank you for the information! i have another question, is there anywhere that i can save/store all the apps that i have in use from cydia before i do upgrade? thanks again.
    2009-07-18 06:54 PM
    In Cydia there is an app called "Aptbackup" that will aide you in restoring 3rd party apps. I would make a list of what you have installed also.
    2009-07-18 07:00 PM
    thank you! thank you! thank you! i will give it a go tomorrow, oh god i hope it works! lol....
    2009-07-18 07:08 PM
    and there is an app called PkgBackUp. It allows you to backup your packages and even share/exchange/send your package list to others.
    2009-07-18 07:09 PM
    hi again, thanks for your advice, but i have chickend out of installing os 3.0 and then jailbreaking iphone 3g, when i looked at the instructions how to do the jailbreak using redsn0w it all looked pretty easy but then i read a lot of the comments posted at the bottom of the screen (lots of them) reporting problems after jailbreak, you see my phone is jailbroken at the moment version 2.2 and im very happy with it, and my question is im i really missing anything on the os 3.0? im sure there might be some bright spark who will bring out apps on cydia that will do the same things that are on the new os 3.0 maybe they are already out there! do you know of any? so untill i can grow a set of ba-ls im just leavin my iphone 3g jailbroken version 2.2 just the way it is for now.

Well I tried it! I restored my iPhone 3g, thought I downloaded the proper programes to jailbreak again, redsn0w and it won't work!!!! I new I should have left it the way it was! I tried to follow the steps to jailbreak but I must be doing something wrong. I have tried to copy tutorials posted on YouTube but all the vids the guys all seem to be using vista, I'm using win xp. Please again help me!!!
    Last edited by aderryman67; 2009-07-20 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-20 05:51 PM
    Well I tried it! I restored my iPhone 3g, thought I downloaded the proper programes to jailbreak again, redsn0w and it won't work!!!! I new I should have left it the way it was! I tried to follow the steps to jailbreak but I must be doing something wrong. I have tried to copy tutorials posted on YouTube but all the vids the guys all seem to be using vista, I'm using win xp. Please again help me!!!
    Give us some more info/problems. What you did, what is on the screen etc.
    2009-07-20 09:12 PM
    More info please!
    2009-07-20 09:44 PM
    maybe im just a bit thick! i tried it again but this time i took my time, and i managed to jail break my iphone now running 3.0 and jailbroken! i love my iphone again. thanks for your help.
    2009-07-21 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD