Hi there, I have a 3G iPhone that I jailbroke this past spring. I'm running version 2.2.1 (5H11) and I want to do the upgrade to the 3.0, or whatever the newest one is.

I haven't connected my phone to iTunes in several months, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to keep my cydia apps from being wiped when I do the upgrade. I see the sticky thread, but I also see that it's dozens of pages. Is there some how-to somewhere for the fools like me who create new threads all the time asking the same question?

In summary, I want to install the 3.0 software on my already jailbroken phone, I want it to still be jailbroken, and I don't want to lose any of my apps. I don't know how to use iTunes very well (truth be told I think the UI is complete junk) and I don't know most of the apps that people take for granted. Please treat me like the noob I am but be gentle.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-08-06 at 09:08 AM.
    2009-08-06 09:03 AM
    Unfortunately, you have to do a restore to put a jailbroken 3.0 FW on. iTunes will do a backup of all you settings. Aptbackup (installed trough Cydia) can create a list of all your Cydia installs (it does a backup of the list when iTunes does a backup). Update iTunes to the latest version, connect your iPhone, download the the latest IPSW (3.0.1) and use Redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak. Or see if you can get a copy of the 3.0 IPSW on torrents.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!
    2009-08-06 10:40 AM
    Do Not Restore From Backup!!!
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-06 10:42 AM
    Do Not Restore From Backup!!!
    Why? I never had an issue.

Never mind. I assume it has to do with losing formated space.
    Last edited by Scoops98; 2009-08-06 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!
    2009-08-06 10:48 AM
    Why? I never had an issue.

Never mind. I assume it has to do with losing formated space.
    no, it has to do with it causing several problems under 3.0 like lost space, severe battery drainage, wifi not working ... stuff like that ^^
    2009-08-06 11:40 AM
    just make sure to sync before you update
    2009-08-06 11:56 PM
    So I need to go install a particular app from Cydia prior to doing this then? What about any Cydia apps that I bought the license for? Will I lose that key and need to re-enter? If so I may be hosed.
    2009-08-07 01:51 AM
    Pkgbackup and aptbackup backup your Cydia apps for you.

As for the stuff you bought, the Cydia store is tied in with your facebook/google account so you'll still have them after upgrading.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-07 02:01 AM
    So I need to go install a particular app from Cydia prior to doing this then? What about any Cydia apps that I bought the license for? Will I lose that key and need to re-enter? If so I may be hosed.
    Apps purchased are tied to the phones imei also, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    2009-08-07 02:04 AM
    I'm glad to know about the imei thing since I don't have a facebook/google account. That just sounds hinky anyway. I'm installing Aptbackup now and will grab pkgbackup next. I assume once I'm done with this I can just do the jailbreak with the 3.0 FW and then the rest is somewhat intuitive?

Update: I just updated a bunch of apps that Cydia told me needed updating and now I get no wifi connection, so doing a reboot now. Ugh.

Update: The wifi issue was sorted after reboot, jail break was successful but for some reason it didn't work the first time, went without a hitch the second time though. Odd.

Anyhow, I took screen shots of each page and dl'ed them before the FW update so worst case is I go back to Cydia and dl them each individually, not sure how this aptbackup works yes, doing a sync right now from iTunes.

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Hmm, what am I doing wrong with this aptbackup? I re-installed it from Cydia (cuz it was gone after the FW update) and hit the restore button, nothing came back. I had done the back up button before the FW update and did a sync with iTunes, any thoughts? And if I'm not supposed to use the restore function in iTunes, and aptbackup says to use that function, then what am I supposed to do?
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-08-07 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-07 05:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD