I am new to this scene. I want to jailbreak and it seems fairly simple. It seems that if I backup all of my files before i do it and there does end up being a problem, I can always restore my default firmware and bring my phone back to normal.

The question I have is that I have the Iphone 3G OS 3.0 so which jailbreaking firmware and version should I use? Are there specific versions and types for specific phones and/or OS updates?

Thanks for the help everyone. I can't wait to check out Cydia.
    2009-08-14 04:55 PM
    not sure ifb you have windows or mac but heres a guide for both. This will help you from start to finish with everything you need. just ask if you have any questions

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Mac)

and welcome to the jailbreak community. we are always glad to help if you have any questions.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2009-08-14 05:01 PM
    He said 3G not 3GS but the guide works for both, just download the 3G firmware for your device

Like A Boss
    2009-08-14 05:57 PM
    lol my bad. wow i feel stupid on that one. like a boss. lmao i made a metal version of that song.
    2009-08-14 05:59 PM
    Hey thanks guys....I'm not very programming savvy, but it doesn't even seem that you need to be. Yes I have a PC and run Windows XP. I am assuming it should still be relatively simple though. Basically the same rules apply to the 3G as they do the 3GS?

I also read in another thread that Purplera1n RC2 worked well. What's the difference, just the developer? It seems that the RedSn0w team is a more trusted source...? Am I following this correctly?

Nothing to worry about as far as screwing up my phone right? Thanks again for all of the help. I am gladto be a new addition to the community!
    2009-08-14 06:48 PM
    just follow the guide. ill post the proper one below. lol. its step by step. use redsnow. purplerain is discontinued. this thing is step by step. there is even a video to help.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    2009-08-14 07:14 PM
    Can you explain pwnage and how it works?

I read the little summary on the pwnage thread, but I am not sure if I understand. And what is
    Ultrasn0w...a patch for RedSn0w?

Those are the last two things I need to understand before I do this. Thanks.
    2009-08-14 07:56 PM
    pwnage is for mac. you dont have a mac. no need to bother yourself with info you dont need. pwnage just allows you to create a firmware that is already jailbroken, redsnow jailbreaks whats already on your phone.

ultrasnow is what i have to use...it makes it so other carriers (like Tmobile) can work on the iphone. if you have ATT you dont need to even worry about that either
    2009-08-14 08:23 PM
    Thanks Crick....you've been a big help. And unfortunately I have not had the time to sit down and jailbreak. Once I get home I will do it.
    2009-08-17 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD