Hi, I recently got an iphone 3gs earlier this summer. I have been a very active jailbreaker and everything has been fine for a while. That is until I bought a knockoff battery charger from China or somewhere of that sort. I plugged it in and after a while the little charge icon flickered and the screen went white and now it won't turn on. I tried plugging the iphone into my computer and charging all night and it still won't turn on, any help would be really appreciated, Thanks In Advance!
    2009-08-18 08:10 PM
    holy crap, you tried to save 10 dollars on your 600 dollar phone? classic...

anyways, try a DFU restore
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-08-18 08:16 PM
    holy crap, you tried to save 10 dollars on your 600 dollar phone? classic...

anyways, try a DFU restore
    I know it's kinda funny when you put it that way, btw how do you do a dfu restore again?
    2009-08-18 09:28 PM
    I know it's kinda funny when you put it that way, btw how do you do a dfu restore again?
    I didn't mean to offend you, if i did, lol, trust me, i've made my own mistakes (i bought a flea market phone cover for my original 2g, learned my lesson when i cracked the screen after the second drop, yet with my incase protector, i've dropped my phone at least 2 times a week, since i bought it the day it came out (3gs), and the phone still looks perfect.
    sorry to ramble, back on subject

look up iphone dfu on youtube, pages and pages of people doing it step by step.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-08-18 09:36 PM
    I doubt DFU will help, but plug it into your computer with iTunes open, presuming it it isn't detected hold home (round one) and power top button for 10 seconds, then release the top button and keep holding the round one until iTunes detects a device in recovery mode - if this happens try a restore.

Have you tried charging it using the plug in wall adaptor that comes with them? Somehow this gives a little more juice then a computer and might bring it back to life.

Otherwise take it back to the Apple store, and say it ran out of battery and when you tried to charge it nothing happened - they'll try to charge it and when it doesn't turn on will give you a replacement.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2009-08-18 10:10 PM
    I doubt DFU will help, but plug it into your computer with iTunes open, presuming it it isn't detected hold home (round one) and power top button for 10 seconds, then release the top button and keep holding the round one until iTunes detects a device in recovery mode - if this happens try a restore.

Have you tried charging it using the plug in wall adaptor that comes with them? Somehow this gives a little more juice then a computer and might bring it back to life.

Otherwise take it back to the Apple store, and say it ran out of battery and when you tried to charge it nothing happened - they'll try to charge it and when it doesn't turn on will give you a replacement.
    bringing in a jailbroken iphone is alittle risky. especially if you have a contract with at&t.
    2009-08-18 10:21 PM
    bringing in a jailbroken iphone is alittle risky. especially if you have a contract with at&t.
    Fair comment, but what's the worst they can do? Given the option of selling a 3Gs for spares at a loss or trying to get a Warranty replacement (and they should by now have some sort of circuit protection to stop this happening in the first place) I think the gain outweighs the risk. Providing every possible attempt fails to bring the device back to life, I doubt Apple will waste time trying to look for something they don't know exists on it.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2009-08-18 11:11 PM
    Fair comment, but what's the worst they can do? Given the option of selling a 3Gs for spares at a loss or trying to get a Warranty replacement (and they should by now have some sort of circuit protection to stop this happening in the first place) I think the gain outweighs the risk. Providing every possible attempt fails to bring the device back to life, I doubt Apple will waste time trying to look for something they don't know exists on it.
    Waste time?
    Like all companies, apple doesn't want to just give away free iphones. They are strongly against jailbreaking phones, and it is probably the FIRST thing they will check once they fix the hardware issue.

the worst they could do?, check which account that phone is registered to, or check what account the new phone is registered to, and then add 599 to your att bill.

Then you are royally fu*#ed, not to mention your account will probably be flagged, and if you ever have any other issues, they will know you've had a jailbroken phone before, giving you a hard time.

You should have restored your phone so it bricked before you gave it in, that way when they repair the phone, they'll have to restore to get it up and running. But even that doesn't guarantee they wont know it was jailbroken.

With everything in the news, and especally this being apples brand new product, i assume they will be very angry that they replaced your phone, when your original was jailibroken.

But then again you maybe okay, considering your battery cable would have gotten destroyed if you were jailbroken or not, but in apple's eyes, it would have never happened if the phone wasn't jailbroken.
    2009-08-18 11:47 PM
    Thanks everyone for helping me, it sounds like the best thing to do is just bring it in, it is under warranty, I'm just concerned because I don't even know why I downloaded it but ********** is installed on my phone, as well as I believe at least 1 cracked app, (don't worry when I do like the app I do pay for it, I use cracked apps as a trial, which in my case actually makes me spend more money for apps from good developers, very ironic) please tell me what you guys think I should do, btw I tried plugging it into itunes holding the home and power buttons, but no sign of life on my phone, whats kind of weird is when ever I plug in my brothers richard solo external battery the blue light goes on which says its charging the phone, so I dont know what's wrong with the phone, please help me decide on what I should do, Thanks In Advance!
    2009-08-19 01:15 AM
    If you are unable to get in DFU mode and restore, I doubt that they will be able to as well. Although I do not believe that scamming Apple is the right way to do things I think that in your case you should return it for a replacement. Here are some alternative ways to try to get the phone in DFU that you may want to try before taking it in.
    DFU Mode.
    Method 1)
    • Attach the phone to the pc
    • Turn the phone off
    • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    • At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.
    Method 2)
    • Hook up the phone powered on to the PC
    • Now hold home / power until the phone turns off and keep holding for 10 seconds. If the phone ever turns on during this phase, start over and hold for less time.
    • Now release power and continue holding home until the PC recognizes the phone.
    • I don’t like this method as much because there are “rumors” that it may cause some 1604 errors in the restore. I am not convinced of that though.
    Method 3)
    • Attach the phone to the pc
    • Turn the phone off
    • Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
    • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    • At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.
    2009-08-19 01:40 AM
    Thank You for your elaborate response, unfortunetly none of those methods have worked which makes me conclude to believe hat its a hardware problem. I've identified the problem as the battery connector broken and found a spare on ebay, I'm going to try and find a professional to replace it, however if not I might be doing this solo, anyone know where I can find someone to do the repair. Thanks For Everything Everybody though =)
    2009-08-19 03:52 AM
    Thank You for your elaborate response, unfortunetly none of those methods have worked which makes me conclude to believe hat its a hardware problem. I've identified the problem as the battery connector broken and found a spare on ebay, I'm going to try and find a professional to replace it, however if not I might be doing this solo, anyone know where I can find someone to do the repair. Thanks For Everything Everybody though =)
    Plug it into your brothers battery pack thing, go to restore phone (in the phone), let it restore itself, then just bring it to apple,bricked, and just say it doesn't charge, help.

I would NEVER open my brand new phone, ever.
    2009-08-19 04:00 AM
    I've identified the problem as the battery connector broken and found a spare on ebay, I'm going to try and find a professional to replace it, however if not I might be doing this solo, anyone know where I can find someone to do the repair. Thanks For Everything Everybody though =)
    There are a couple members here that are quite qualified and respected that do repairs. If you are unfamiliar with working on iPhones, I would say do not open and void the warranty and possibly cause other problems.
    None the less, you could PM either cpjr or one1 and ask for their assistance.
    2009-08-19 04:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD