User Tag List

My jailbroken iphone went on the fritz yesterday. I'm running 3.0.1 and need to restore my phone to this firmware. When i choose option+restore from itunes, i am allowed to browse my 3.0 ipsw. I selected this, my process got hung up most of the way through it, and now my phone is in "recovery" mode. I can't upgrade to 3.1 because there's no jailbreak. Anyone know how to get my phone out of recovery mode and back into firmware 3.0?

BTW- its an iphone 2G
    Last edited by io8ihe; 2009-09-11 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-11 05:00 PM
    Get the firmware file for your phone, then in iTunes press Shift - Restore and select the 3.0 file.
    2009-09-11 05:01 PM
    shift+restore didn't do anything... it says it will upgrade to the 3.1 software when i do this. Option+restore on the other hand allows me to select my ipsw. I did this, but towards the end of the process, i get an error that says it was unable to complete the restore... error 1011, your phone is now in recovery mode.
    2009-09-11 05:14 PM
    You didn't say your were using a mac....
    Try another firmware file and make sure it is for your phone model.
    2009-09-11 05:49 PM
    I downloaded the 2.2 ipsw... tried it, same results
    2009-09-11 06:37 PM
    You need the 3.0, 2.2 has a different BB. Try to get the firmware from a different source.
    2009-09-11 07:23 PM
    no luck.. thanks for your help... any other ideas?.. I'm still getting the same error

I should probably also add that the reason i have to restore is that out of nowhere, my screen has become permanently black. I turned off my alarm clock yesterday morning (on the phone) and a little while later i picked my phone up off the dock and haven't been able to get any response from the phone yet.

I've tried all the basic phone restarts.. i.e. holding the home and sleep/awake button etc. etc. I know the phone is "on" because when I USB plug the phone into my computer, itunes and iphoto both open. Iphoto was having no problem exchanging photos with my phone (and interestingly enough, I was able to use the sceenshot function to take screen shots of my phone... and they were black, TOO! I think i've taken 10-12 of them since the problem started)

Itunes wouldn't sync and said i had to restore to my original settings. So, now I'm guess at that point... Itunes is recognizing my phone, but apparently it is in recovery mode because I tried to restore it... and now I have nothing displaying on my phone.

I really hope someone can help me or has gone through this before.. Any advice would be very helpful!

Thank you!
    Last edited by io8ihe; 2009-09-12 at 12:43 AM.
    2009-09-12 12:09 AM
    If the iPhone appears on the device list in iTunes , right-click on it's name and select Restore from backup. That might get your phoneback. Download 3.0 ipsw from felixbruns.de, those are my go-to firmware downloads. Option+Restore should direct you to the 3.0 firmware
    2009-09-12 01:16 AM
    No luck... I have been running 3.0.1, and I have the same .ipsw that was on that site.. (I downloaded it and tried it from there). Same results... As for Right-clicking from the itunes device list... my only options are "eject" and "open in new window"

Is this bc it is in recovery mode?
    Again, thank you for your help!

Would I risk not being able to jailbreak/unlock my phone if i tried just the standard update to 3.1... even if i had to wait a while?? (keep in mind it's an iphone 2G)

anyone?
    Last edited by io8ihe; 2009-09-12 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-12 10:01 PM
    xx
    Last edited by io8ihe; 2009-09-15 at 08:53 PM.
    2009-09-14 04:15 PM
    have you tried going into dfu mode before you restore?
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

if that doesn't work, try the recovery mode (turn the phone off, then hold down the home button while you connect the phone to itunes, then hold home until the itunes logo appears on your phone)
    2009-09-14 06:39 PM
    I feel like it is something deeper than just being stuck in recovery mode. Once again, I have nothing on the screen, EVER. Although, I know the phone is "on" because it is recognized by itunes as an iphone in the device listing and warms up when i try to restore the firmware to it. The firmware restore gets pretty far along before it gives me the "1011" error. I'm stumped... can't get DFU mode (that i know of because nothing is ever on the screen), can't restore to any previous firmware... I only have yet to try to update to 3.1.. but worry about losing ability to jailbreak. Does this sound more like a hardware issue to anyone?
    2009-09-14 11:50 PM
    I feel like it is something deeper than just being stuck in recovery mode. Once again, I have nothing on the screen, EVER. Although, I know the phone is "on" because it is recognized by itunes as an iphone in the device listing and warms up when i try to restore the firmware to it. The firmware restore gets pretty far along before it gives me the "1011" error. I'm stumped... can't get DFU mode (that i know of because nothing is ever on the screen), can't restore to any previous firmware... I only have yet to try to update to 3.1.. but worry about losing ability to jailbreak. Does this sound more like a hardware issue to anyone?
    strange, could be hardware indeed. is your phone recognized as a camera when you connect it? if so, you could make a screenshot (press home and power together). if the screenshot shows the normal iphone screen and your screen shows nothing the screen is clearly broken.
    if you have warranty left take it to apple.
    2009-09-15 12:15 AM
    before i tried to restore the firmware... it would take pictures, of a BLACK screen... and i could upload them to iphoto. I thought that was a sign the screen wasn't out, but that i just needed to restore the firmware.
    now that i tried to restore the firmware, it is "stuck" in recovery mode.. i can't get the firmware to restore... but still recognized by itunes... and the screen is still always black

unfortunately it's an iphone 2g, jailbroken, etc. etc. no warranty.
    Last edited by io8ihe; 2009-09-15 at 12:56 AM.
    2009-09-15 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD