I'm currently not living in the U.S. or any other country that offers iPhone services, I rely on jailbreaking/unlocking. I just bought a new 3gs a few days before the 3.1 update was released. I'm not sure what firmware its on because its not activated. If anybody can help answer a few questions for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

1)How do I find what firmware I'm on if im not activated and cant get to the springboard?
    2)If I am on 3.0 or 3.0.1 can I still use redsn0w or purplera1n to JB/unlock now that 3.1 is released?
    3)Do those paid unlocking software (iphoneunlocking.com) that claim to unlock 3gs 3.1 really work?

Please help!!! I need to know what my options are. I'd hate to think I spent hundreds of dollars on a paperweight.
    2009-09-12 12:54 PM
    You are better off doing the JB yourself - 95% chance that you need the skills in the future - 100% you need it when deciding to upgrade FW.

You need a PC or MAC with internet to retrieve files requiered.
    Do NOT install iTunes 9!!
    Do NOT upgrade to FW 3.1!!

Do like this;
    1 - Download FW 3.0 here: iPhone Firmwares download | iPhone Firmware
    2 - Read & read the tutorials here: redsn0w. Once done read again!
    3 - Run redsn0w 0.8 downloaded from http://www.quickpwn.com/redsn0w
    4 - In redsn0w select the downloaded FW 3.0 - click continue.
    5 - Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER.

You should now be having a massive grin on your face (unless the phone was on 3.1....then you just need to be patient n wait for an update of redsn0w)
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

2009-09-12 05:24 PM
    I understand that redsnow can JB 3.0/3.0.1, but will it work now that 3.1 is released (all that junk about signing certificates). I'm confused cause I've read other posts saying that you cant restore to 3.0/3.0.1 only 3.1 (dont wanna update). Does redsnow require a restore during the jailbreak process if im already on 3.0/3.0.1 and wanna stay there? Pretty much I'm wondering if I can safely JB (w/redsnow) my new (never opened, jailbroken, or unlocked) 3gs without having to update to 3.1?
    Sorry I'm kinda new to this. Any help would be great.
    2009-09-13 03:19 AM
    Do not upgrade to 3.1!
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!
    2009-09-13 03:39 AM
    I understand that redsnow can JB 3.0/3.0.1, but will it work now that 3.1 is released (all that junk about signing certificates). I'm confused cause I've read other posts saying that you cant restore to 3.0/3.0.1 only 3.1 (dont wanna update). Does redsnow require a restore during the jailbreak process if im already on 3.0/3.0.1 and wanna stay there? Pretty much I'm wondering if I can safely JB (w/redsnow) my new (never opened, jailbroken, or unlocked) 3gs without having to update to 3.1?
    Sorry I'm kinda new to this. Any help would be great.
    I just did mines ,3.01 FW Without using itunes...just run redsnow and browse to the 3.0 FW redsnow tells u everything else to do pretty much
    Its true when you try and downgrade /restore using itunes it wont work as they digitally sign the firmware now and 3.0 isnt signed so itunes wont allow it ..Just use Redsnow to do it mate and all is good :-)
    2009-09-13 04:02 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it a try. One more qestion though. I'm gonna need to unlock as well. I'm gonna try ultrasnow. Do I use the AT&T sim card or my own sim while JB/unlocking?
    2009-09-13 04:33 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it a try. One more qestion though. I'm gonna need to unlock as well. I'm gonna try ultrasnow. Do I use the AT&T sim card or my own sim while JB/unlocking?
    Sorry mate i really dont know i didnt unlock mines
    2009-09-13 04:35 AM
    Woohoo JB/unlocked my new 3gs on 3.0.1! Thanks everyone for your help. For those of you that have the same question I did...the answer is yes, you can still JB 3gs 3.0/3.0.1 (even if 3.1 is released). Granted there are no complications during the JB process, you wont need to restore. As for me, Im gonna put my new 3gs back in the box (dont wanna risk messing it up) till they come up with a solution for 3.1. Gonna use my 2g till then.
    2009-09-13 08:35 AM
    Woohoo JB/unlocked my new 3gs on 3.0.1! Thanks everyone for your help. For those of you that have the same question I did...the answer is yes, you can still JB 3gs 3.0/3.0.1 (even if 3.1 is released). Granted there are no complications during the JB process, you wont need to restore. As for me, Im gonna put my new 3gs back in the box (dont wanna risk messing it up) till they come up with a solution for 3.1. Gonna use my 2g till then.
    you might have to wait forever then, just saying. you are stuck on 3.0.1 right now, possibly forever ... so you might wanna use your shiny new 3gs ;-)
    though saurik is currently developing a solution that allows you to restore to 3.0 ... this might allow you to grab you ibec & ibss as well, which would allow you to use 3.1 ... whatever you do: NEVER update to 3.1 via itunes! and as long as you don't have an ibec & ibss for your phone you won't be able to create a custom 3.1 firmware, sorry.
    2009-09-13 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD