Hey all,

I didn't have time to update my iPhone from 3.0 to 3.0.1 when that update came out.

Now 3.1 is out, and iTunes doesn't seem to have a way to update to anything but that.

Of course, I can't choose 3.1 or I'd lose my jailbreak.

Is there any way to do an upgrade to 3.0.1, with or without iTunes being involved?

Thanks!!!
    2009-09-14 08:10 AM
    Download the 3.0.1 ISPW (the correct one for your phone) then hit shift (option for mac)+restore and choose the FW you just downloaded.

3.0.1 is really no different than 3.0 EXCEPT for one thing, the SMS vulnerability fix. If you find it absolutely necessary to have the fix, go for it. If it were up to me, I'd wait for the dev team's release for the JB of 3.1 (actually that is what I'm doing right now haha). It's not worth the upgrade since the dev team is already working on the new jailbreak.
    2009-09-14 08:36 AM
    There is no reason to update to 3.0.1, only differences being that it cured a possible exploit for SMS which never happened. Just stay where your at and wait for the 3.1 jailbreak to be released.
    2009-09-14 08:40 AM
    What do you mean never happened?

I was at DefCon when they presented the SMS exploit. All iPhones < 3.0.1 are vulnerable to a complete take over, including mine.

This is why I want to update to 3.0.1. I would suggest you do it too. Anyone know of a way now that iTunes is forcing 3.1 on me?
    2009-09-14 08:45 AM
    ^ we all saw it too, it never happened. Thousands of people are still using 3.0 without any problems at all. Cry wolf, it just hasn't been an issue. I deal with thousands of members from all over the world and never once has a problem been reported. Believe what you choose. Hard facts are the exploit never happened.
    If you own a 3gs, it's going to be tuff. if it's a 3g you can downgrade your iTunes to 8.2 or 8.2.1 and restore that way.

I want to add that we have almost a half a million members that use this site, not one issue.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-09-14 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-14 08:53 AM
    I'm still on 3.0 it's fine really. It's only a bit of time before 3.1 will be good to go. As far as I can see you've waited so long too.

Anyway I just told you in my above post how to do it if you really want to. Like blkcadi said, iTunes 8.2, download 3.0.1 ispw from downloads section, then hit restore(option)+shift and restore to 3.0.1
    2009-09-14 09:14 AM
    I'm still on 3.0 it's fine really. It's only a bit of time before 3.1 will be good to go. As far as I can see you've waited so long too.

Anyway I just told you in my above post how to do it if you really want to. Like blkcadi said, iTunes 8.2, download 3.0.1 ispw from downloads section, then hit restore(option)+shift and restore to 3.0.1
    Hmmmm alright, alright
    I'll wait for 3.1

Thanks for the info!
    2009-09-14 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD