Right here's one to make you giggle from here in Abu Dhabi.

Long time Nokia user, previous phones were N95, then the N97.

After a couple of months of trying to love the N97 in spite of the lack of any real support for the Mac, I got rid of it and bought a jailbroken 3gs at a local supermarket here in Abu Dhabi.

Took the said phone home, and of course, being a total noob, I upgraded to the dreaded 3.1. Then I realised that the phone was locked to AT&T in the States, and I was frigged.

So, I restored the phone & took it back to the supermarket & claimed that it wasn't sim-free as sold & managed to get a replacement from the blissfully ignorant folk in customer service!

Woo hoo!!

Now the scary part. My Mac was responsible for upgrading the last 3GS to 3.1 and although I have learned my lesson, I don't want to connect the new phone to the Mac and find that it upgrades it automatically (the 3.1 firmware might be cached somewhere?)

Should I format the Mac to be on the safe side, or will I simply get a dialogue box asking me if I want to make the same mistake again?

Thanks
    2009-09-18 06:28 PM
    You can go into where iTunes stores the firmwares and delete 3.1. You should always be prompted before an upgrade
    2009-09-18 06:30 PM
    Do you know where that might be on the Mac, and what its filename might be?

Cheers
    2009-09-18 06:36 PM
    Users/username/library/itunes/iPhone software updates/
    2009-09-18 06:41 PM
    Safely connected and syncing in 3.0

Thanks
    2009-09-18 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD