i am trying to jailbreak my iphone 3g on 3.1. everytime i try to itunes gives me this message "the iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (1604). any suggestions or tips?
    thanks
    2009-09-18 06:53 PM
    are you on windows or a mac?
    2009-09-18 07:04 PM
    turn off your computer and unplug the usb cable. let it sit for about 10 minutes. then reboot and do a repair itunes installation (this part is optional but it worked for me many times)

then i suggest choosing a different usb port and then connect and boot into DFU mode. then you should be good to go. also if your restoring to a standard firmware file try recovery mode instead of DFU mode but i take it you have a custom ipsw your trying to restore to
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2009-09-18 07:08 PM
    im on a mac
    2009-09-18 09:41 PM
    Even though i wrote this for windows, take a look at my post and see if there is a step in the instructions that might in fact help you. My 3.1 jailbreak instructions can be found here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/685...1-windows.html

let me now how it goes!
    2009-09-19 03:24 AM
    turn off your computer and unplug the usb cable. let it sit for about 10 minutes. then reboot and do a repair itunes installation (this part is optional but it worked for me many times)

then i suggest choosing a different usb port and then connect and boot into DFU mode. then you should be good to go. also if your restoring to a standard firmware file try recovery mode instead of DFU mode but i take it you have a custom ipsw your trying to restore to
    I'm REALLY curious ... what's the "let it sit for ten minutes" supposed to do? cool the usb port? give the iphone a break? funny stuff

anyway, I had the same problem yesterday. What worked for me was: Go to /User/YOURUSERNAME/Library/iTunes/Device Support/ (or something similair, not sure about the exact path, but you should fin it) and delete everything in there. after that, build a new custom firmware (that's important, don't use the old one). then get your phone into dfu mode, restore it ... it should work.
    2009-09-19 12:29 PM
    For anyone else that might have this problem and use Pwnage: make sure you're using a legit copy by testing the SHA1 hash as suggested on the iPhoneDev site. I got the message the original poster got after trying 3 times until I tried another download sourceof Pwnage and that applicatio the SHA1 hash and had success on the first attempt.
    2010-02-27 04:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD