are cydia and icy both installed? if so just keep on trying cydia, dont mess with icy, and eventually you will be able to DL the needed updates for cydia. its just gonna take a while...

thanks a lot, i tried it again and this time installed icy as well and it worked, now i'm trying to unlock using ultrasnow but for some reason it keep saying searching for signal. if you know how to fix this please let me know. thank you in advance.
    2009-09-28 08:37 PM
    Followed the process and it leaves Cydia in some hosed state - now I cannot get Cydia to work any more - get the "Couldn't configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle"...

Such a joy...

Yep - it's all hosed now - Cydia says it doesn't know what version it is and says it is not fixable and is caused by having both Cydia and Icy installed during jailbreak.

But I didn't have a choice following these instructions as the ipsw apparently has both on it...so now what, start over and go with the standard Apple 3.1 fw???
    if ur familiar with openssh, you can go in manually and uninstall icy. you need a free program called winscp, and a wifi network, to access ur iphone and do the uninstall....

thanks a lot, i tried it again and this time installed icy as well and it worked, now i'm trying to unlock using ultrasnow but for some reason it keep saying searching for signal. if you know how to fix this please let me know. thank you in advance.
    unfortuntely, if you depend on an unlocking tool for service, you now have a very expensive paperweight. when upgrading, FW 3.1 also upgrades ur baseband, and currently there is no unlocking tool for the new baseband.

Right now the only people that should try this JB method are those that DO NOT need an unlocking tool to get service....
    Last edited by creasy425; 2009-09-28 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-28 08:48 PM
    This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1
    Hi,i done this method on my iphone 3g and it worked fine,but now iv'e sold it and bought a 3gs,would it work on the 3gs?

cheers!
    2009-09-28 11:12 PM
    First off I didn't claim it was mine 2nsd if u see post before I posted a guy told me it was on first page so I just pasted uut from thoer so u mu sir are the idiot
    2009-09-29 01:57 AM
    First off I didn't claim it was mine 2nsd if u see post before I posted a guy told me it was on first page so I just pasted uut from thoer so u mu sir are the idiot
    wow, great command of the english language there moron...
    2009-09-29 02:38 AM
    thanks for posting.
    I have a question after jailbreaking iPhone, can I upgrade my itunes back to 9? is it affecting anything?
    2009-09-29 04:08 AM
    thanks for posting.
    I have a question after jailbreaking iPhone, can I upgrade my itunes back to 9? is it affecting anything?
    yes you can. it doesnt effect the JB in any way...And if ur on att its the only way to get the MMS carrier update...
    2009-09-29 04:13 AM
    I know right that's what I get for typing reply on the iPhone the auto correction suck lol
    2009-09-29 04:17 AM
    I can never get past...

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

It always crashes at 80% UGGGGH!!!!!!!! Why!?!?!
    2009-09-29 05:38 AM
    creasy....att user here with 3.0 jailbroken firmware. looking for the right fw to use to upgrade to 3.1 jailbreak. any help would be appreciated. i have looked for torrent and can't find one that works anymore. also do i have to do all of the steps if I am already 3.0 jailbroken or can i start in the last part of the steps?
    2009-09-29 06:00 AM
    creasy....att user here with 3.0 jailbroken firmware. looking for the right fw to use to upgrade to 3.1 jailbreak. any help would be appreciated. i have looked for torrent and can't find one that works anymore. also do i have to do all of the steps if I am already 3.0 jailbroken or can i start in the last part of the steps?
    if ur already jb'd on 3.0, just follow steps 1,2,3 14 and 15. As far as the 3.1 custom FW, check ur inbox .

Once finished, re-upgrade to intunes 9.x, plug in ur iphone and you will get a notification about a carrier update. This will enable MMS...don't worry it doesnt mess with the JB....

creasy425
    Last edited by creasy425; 2009-09-29 at 06:23 AM.
    2009-09-29 06:19 AM
    here is a link to the cfw Step By Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.1 using PwnageTool 3.1 - iPhone Hacks

o and the orginal posting of the whole guide
    Last edited by lilbush81; 2009-09-29 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-29 06:35 AM
    Hi,i done this method on my iphone 3g and it worked fine,but now iv'e sold it and bought a 3gs,would it work on the 3gs?

cheers!
    Looking for confirmation this will work with 3G(s)?
    2009-09-29 01:07 PM
    Looking for confirmation this will work with 3G(s)?
    This is straight off the Step by Step guide page that was posted above. "PwnageTool 3.1 currently does not support iPhone 3GS."
    2009-09-29 03:45 PM
    It does not work with 3gs
    2009-09-29 07:58 PM
    here is a link to the cfw Step By Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.1 using PwnageTool 3.1 - iPhone Hacks

Doesnt help at all for Windows users.
    2009-09-29 08:27 PM

And this helps windows users how? Since pwnagetool is mac only....
    2009-09-29 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the awesome write-up... I'm now successfully jailbroken on 3.1.

Has anyone had any success using PDAnet or similar apps/hacks to tether on their jailbroken 3.1 phones? I really need my tethering back.
    2009-09-29 09:59 PM
    I've tried several times, once with each of the 3 custom FW verions, but I still cannot get my phone to work with my T-Mobile SIM card, no service. So do you think the FW files I've downloaded were bad? Has anyone been successful in jailbreaking 3.1 using T-Mobile? Guess I need to start all over. Question, do I need to restore to the 3.1 current Apple FW before I begin? Do I need to start all over, or can I begin somewhere? Just to clarify, when running redsn0w, after I load 3.0, then I hit Next, correct. (I did this, but saw a message about DFU mode). Everything worked, got the pineapple, took a while for the "installing activation bundles". But when finished, no service... TIA
    2009-09-30 01:08 AM
    I have the same question before i do all this.

My iPhone is not a AT&T official iPhone.
    I use a Danish simcard so if i understand this right, it needs to be a activated custom firmware, right ?
    Do we have such thing .
    The iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore_WO_ACT will not work for all os with T-Mobile and other
    sim providers, will it ?

Thx a lot so far. Great giude and everything
    2009-09-30 01:19 AM
476 ... 41213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD