hi all, hope for some help here.

I bought a 3gs 32gb on 02 payg , and had it unlocked at a local phone unlocking shop for my Orange contract simcard. Which worked fine. then like a complete idiot, i allowed itunes to upgrade to the 3.1 software (i know i know)!!!

Now my phone is locked again. booo.

im running itunes 9, and windows Vista.

complete newbie to all this redsn0w stuff (dont want to mess aroud with it and totally screw up my iphone for good), untill i know whats what. Not sure what method the shop used to unlock my phone, but I did notice i had Cydia on my phone after it was unlocked, but now its nolonger there. help, i really want my phone back!!! thanks Glenn.
    2009-09-20 06:27 PM
    mh ... I'm afraid I only have bad news.
    as of now, when you upgraded to 3.1 your phone is permanently locked. it could be that a new unlock is developed that works for new firmwares, but it could also be that your phone is locked forever. sorry :-(
    2009-09-20 08:02 PM
    whats the timescale for a new firmware unlock release and where should i look for it? really dont want to have wasted 500 !!
    2009-09-20 08:17 PM
    whats the timescale for a new firmware unlock release and where should i look for it? really dont want to have wasted 500 !!
    noone can't say. it could be that there will never be a new unlock, which would leave your phone permanently locked.
    it could be weeks, it could be years ... I really can't say, it all depends on whether or not the dev team finds a hole in one of the new basebands that allows them to unlock it.

sorry I don't have better news, I can imagine this sucks.
    2009-09-20 08:43 PM
    wait, isn't it possible to restore to 3.0 or 2.2.1?
    2009-09-20 09:50 PM
    yeah kinda hey, feel so bloody stupid for updating to 3.1, but didnt have any idea that it wold lock, as i never vistited any iphone mod sites before. thanks for your help tho. fingers crossed for the magical Dev's team. if you hear anything pls give me a shout.
    2009-09-20 09:51 PM
    waiting for an unlock is like waiting for a alien to emerge from a spaceship to give you diamonds.

Sell the phone on ebay, or locally and buy a new one that isnt on 3.1 fw.

That is your only option.
    2009-09-20 10:12 PM
    you're screwed just like me! hi-five!, yea from what i've been reading,the silly people who've upgraded to 3.1 (such as me) will not be able to unlock their 3gs atm,
    2009-09-20 10:21 PM
    I have to agree with Carrbone on this one.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-09-20 10:21 PM
    Come op are you for realy??? There are only several hundred posts about this. That's what you get for being a meat wad and being mindful of what your doing. Sucks to be you.
    2009-09-20 10:53 PM
    Threads merged and cleaned.... Please only start one new thread per topic
    2009-09-20 11:42 PM
    i wanted to clarify MY situation actually, so I dont really see a problem with asking the question again. You dont have to read it do you?
    2009-09-20 11:42 PM
    You are very lucky I don't wield the banhammer here.....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-09-20 11:43 PM
    thankyou broomhead.
    2009-09-20 11:55 PM
    aaalright, back to topic ...

wait, isn't it possible to restore to 3.0 or 2.2.1?
    well, no it's not for most people. but even if you could downgrade, that wouldn't help a thing cause it doesn't downgrade your baseband (modem firmware). and the baseband is what's actually crucial for the unlock.

yeah kinda hey, feel so bloody stupid for updating to 3.1, but didnt have any idea that it wold lock, as i never vistited any iphone mod sites before. thanks for your help tho. fingers crossed for the magical Dev's team. if you hear anything pls give me a shout.
    like some others here: sell it. it's unlikely there will be an unlock for it before the next iphone generation arrives. I mean there is a slight chance there will be an unlocked after you sold it, but it's unlikely I think. or you just have to use it with the sim it came.
    2009-09-21 12:04 AM
    cheers Blackwolf, think i will just cut my losses and sell it. Learn from our mistakes i guess. Certainly wont be doing that again anyway. haha. apriecate all your help and wisdom guys.
    2009-09-21 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD