Hi Guys...

Can someone please help me out here, i've been trying to get a solution on google, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is even possible

My iPhone 3GS is one OS 3.0.1. It's Jailbroken and unlocked with Ultrasn0w. last night I tried to record a video using the standard camera application, but when I click the record button, the application freezes. Now I think I might have screwed with the permissions of the video folder when I tried to get cycorder to work, but couldnt even get cycorder to work, now the default camera doesnt work either...

I want to do a restore, to the same firmware as I am on now, which is OS 3.0.1, so that I have a clean system. I do have have a ECID SHSH (3.0.1) on file with cydia. Is it possible to redo my iPhone using the custom firmware (iPhone2,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw) and following this guide: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

I tried to restore but it fails when it tries to authorize the install with apple.

"Verifying iPhone restore with Apple" and then..."This device isn't eligible for the requested build" ??

I did also add saurik's signing service to my host file, but I get the same error message. Do I need to put my device in recovery mode before attempting to restore in iTunes?
    2009-09-23 10:00 AM
    read this...especially the "bypassing the overlord" and "performing restore"

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

arghhhhhh....i didnt even see that you have tried this already. Well, try it again. GoodLuck.
    Last edited by SundayDuffer; 2009-09-23 at 10:36 AM.
    2009-09-23 10:34 AM
    read this...especially the "bypassing the overlord" and "performing restore"

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

arghhhhhh....i didnt even see that you have tried this already. Well, try it again. GoodLuck.
    Thanks for your reply. I had a look at what is said in the link above. I noticed that saurik said that all the users who have a shsh on file, can restore back to 3.0. He says that he only has a few users shsh for 3.0.1. When I bought my iphone form ebay (3 weeks ago), it was pre-jailbroken and unlocked on 3.0.1. When I look in Cydia, it says that I have a 3.0 ECID shsh on file. Shouldn't it say 3.0.1? Does this mean that I can NEVER EVER install firmware 3.0.1, which is the one I am on now?

Again, I have not upgraded to FW 3.1, so I'm not sure if I should follow the same process as discussed in the "restore" section of saurik's link above. Because Im not restoring from 3.1 to 3.0.1, I simply want to restore from 3.0.1 to 3.0.1.

Please guide me in the right direction guys!
    2009-09-23 01:23 PM
    just restore to 3.0. 3.0.1 doesn't do anything anyway, so whatever. even if you have a 3.0.1 SHSH on file, 3.0 will still work, so just go for 3.0 and you should be fine.

oh and just to prevent confusion in the future: you used the term "custom firmware", but what you have here is actually NOT a custom firmware (there are non for the 3GS right now), but an official apple firmware :-) just so you know.
    2009-09-23 02:46 PM
    Thank you very much for the info, it helps a lot.

When doing the restore back to 3.0, should I be in recovery or DFU mode, or just in normal mode?
    2009-09-23 02:59 PM
    Thank you very much for the info, it helps a lot.

When doing the restore back to 3.0, should I be in recovery or DFU mode, or just in normal mode?
    I think it should be done from dfu mode
    2009-09-23 03:23 PM
    Ok, thanks for helping me out! Was really unsure about everything! Will give it a go!

I'm sure I added saurik's server correctly to the host file Weird that it didn't work with the 3.0 firmware.

I'm afraid to go into DFU mode, I've read that once you enter DFU mode, the only way to get out of it, is by doing a RESTORE through iTunes, so should my restore to 3.0 fail, my only way back is to do a restore in iTunes to 3.1, which will render me locked (AT&T phone in South Africa). I'm using UltraSn0w at the moment to soft unlock...
    Last edited by FaNIX; 2009-09-23 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-23 03:49 PM
    Ok, thanks for helping me out! Was really unsure about everything! Will give it a go!

I'm sure I added saurik's server correctly to the host file Weird that it didn't work with the 3.0 firmware.

I'm afraid to go into DFU mode, I've read that once you enter DFU mode, the only way to get out of it, is by doing a RESTORE through iTunes, so should my restore to 3.0 fail, my only way back is to do a restore in iTunes to 3.1, which will render me locked (AT&T phone in South Africa). I'm using UltraSn0w at the moment to soft unlock...
    just hold power and home until you see the apple to get out of dfu mode, there is no restore required. but be careful, if you go into recovery mode instead of dfu mode, the only way to get out is indeed a restore.
    2009-09-23 04:06 PM
    Can I use the following instructions to get into DFU mode?

Putting an iPhone into DFU or Recovery Mode with iTunes 8.2 | Geekology

Are they correct?
    2009-09-23 07:10 PM
    I just give you my own instructions, they work 100%:

1. switch the phone on
    2. connect it to itunes
    3. hold power and home button together for ten seconds (make sure it's not more than ten seconds, it should be something between 9 and 10 seconds ... don't be nervous about it, worst case your phone boots and you have to try again)
    4. release the power button, keep holding home button until itunes tells you it detected a phone in recovery mode (itunes will say recovery mode, but as long as your screen is blank (=black) it will be the dfu mode)
    2009-09-23 07:21 PM
    Great guide, thank you! And I can simply use your method posted above to again get out of DFU mode if I dont want to restore?

Also, after doing the restore and the phone reboots, can I then just run redsn0W to jailbreak? Should I start this when iPhone is in normal mode? I know Redsn0w will later ask me to put the device in recovery mode...

Well, I managed to solve my original problem, that I couldnt take pictures or use the video camera. That works now (I restored from a normal itunes backup which was done 2 weeks ago and the cam works), but atleast after this thread I now know how to restore using the ipsw firmware file!
    2009-09-23 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD