Hi guys, this is my first post. Here is my situation.

I have an iPhone 3G 16GB that is jailbroken and unlocked and running 3.0 on T-Mobile.

I've been having battery problems for the last few months and my iPhone seems to be dead by about 3pm everyday where I used to last until about midnight a few months ago.

I called Apple and they said I need to take the phone in to the Apple store and the will likely replace it.

My problem, obviously is that I need to reflash my phone back to factory specs to take it in to get looked at.

QUESTION 1 - Is there an easy way to do this?

Once the phone is replaced, I'm assuming they will just replace it with an iPhone 3GS which would be nice but I'm seeing that the 3GS is not unlocked yet, is this true?

QUESTION 2 - Is the 3GS unlocked yet? Any guess on when it will be?

QUESTION 3 - One final thing, with my only having a T-mobile SIM, should I get an AT&T pre-paid sim and pop that in my phone while I take it in to the Apple store to get looked at?
    2009-09-25 03:04 AM
    Hi guys, this is my first post. Here is my situation.

I have an iPhone 3G 16GB that is jailbroken and unlocked and running 3.0 on T-Mobile.

I've been having battery problems for the last few months and my iPhone seems to be dead by about 3pm everyday where I used to last until about midnight a few months ago.

I called Apple and they said I need to take the phone in to the Apple store and the will likely replace it.

My problem, obviously is that I need to reflash my phone back to factory specs to take it in to get looked at.

QUESTION 1 - Is there an easy way to do this?

Once the phone is replaced, I'm assuming they will just replace it with an iPhone 3GS which would be nice but I'm seeing that the 3GS is not unlocked yet, is this true?

QUESTION 2 - Is the 3GS unlocked yet? Any guess on when it will be?

QUESTION 3 - One final thing, with my only having a T-mobile SIM, should I get an AT&T pre-paid sim and pop that in my phone while I take it in to the Apple store to get looked at?
    * Just do a restore in iTunes and it will remove the jailbreak, make sure you sync your phone prior to doing this so all your info will be there when you get the new phone.
    *They will not replace it with a 3g[s] phone, they will exchange it for exactly what you have now and most likely a refurb also.
    No need for any sim, Apple warranty states that the phone need not be activated to get warranty replacement or work preformed on it..
    2009-09-25 03:11 AM
    They will bug the crap out of you for your SIM before they give you the phone "CLAIMING" that they can't let you leave the store without activating it.

just stick to your guns and if needs be demand to talk to a manager and they will cave (they have no real reason not too).
    2009-09-25 04:13 AM
    Ok guys, I'll do a restore and then take the phone in. I'll make sure I get a backup too before I restore it.

Also, I just had a few more questions.

Say they give me a refurb phone with 3.1 on it. Will I be able to unlock it still?

Also, my friend will let me borrow his SIM from his iPhone just for a few hours while I take my phone in. Should I do this or should I take the phone in with no SIM at all? Or should I use a prepaid AT&T sim perhaps?
    2009-09-29 04:45 PM
    Ok guys, I'll do a restore and then take the phone in. I'll make sure I get a backup too before I restore it.

Also, I just had a few more questions.

Say they give me a refurb phone with 3.1 on it. Will I be able to unlock it still?

Also, my friend will let me borrow his SIM from his iPhone just for a few hours while I take my phone in. Should I do this or should I take the phone in with no SIM at all? Or should I use a prepaid AT&T sim perhaps?
    1) no, as of right now you will not be able to unlock a 3.1 phone. no idea if that will ever change

2) just take it in without a simcard, you don't need a simcard and you don't need to explain why you took it in with or without simcard. that's none of their buisness.
    2009-09-29 05:11 PM
    So if the phone comes with 3.1, can I downgrade to 3.0 or will it change the baseband?
    2009-09-29 05:12 PM
    So if the phone comes with 3.1, can I downgrade to 3.0 or will it change the baseband?
    if the phone comes with 3.1, you can NOT unlock it. probably, or let's say maybe, never (noone really knows). if you depend on an unlock, bringing it in to apple probably means you have to sell it afterwards
    2009-09-29 06:40 PM
    Ok guys, a few months have passed and apparently the new baseband is unlocked, and the latest firmware is jailbroken.

Would now be a perfect time for me to unjailbreak my phone and take it in to be repaired/replaced? Ive been holding off until the latest baseband was unlocked, that way if they give me a replacement phone with new baseband I can still use my iphone.

What do you guys think?
    2009-11-11 12:23 AM
    Vs waiting for what, your warranty to run out?
    2009-11-11 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD