I used to have a jailbroken 3G. When I restored it to bring it back to AT&T, to exchange for my 3GS, some of the JB features were still present, in a factory restore mode. Some of these features were carrier logo and battery percentage, which were not in the 3G software at the time.

Seeing as how certain JB apps are able to toggle certain things on and off, permanently it seems, I had an idea.

Is there any reason to think that toggling SSH on, through any method, would stay on through a restoration/update process, such as 3.0->3.1 for example, would then allow the user to SSH through winScp at a later date and be able to restore many, if not all, of the previous jailbroken features?

I am still a newcomer to the world of jailbrokenness and apologize if this seems absurd to some but it was just a thought in a moment of desperation when wondering when Dev Team will get around to releasing their masterpiece.
    ~ truth, strength, honor ~
    2009-09-26 06:58 PM
    no, that will not work, sorry.

the thing is this: things like the battery percentage or carrier logo are stored in the global preference files of the iphone, which are backed up by itunes. it's more-or-less an official feature, apple is just blocking it. with a simple change of a preference it can be activated.

SSH on the other hand requires a program to be installed and a daemon (process) to be running in the background all the time. this is not backed up by itunes :-)
    2009-09-26 07:19 PM
    That's what I figured. I guess we'll have to wait for Dev Team...
    ~ truth, strength, honor ~
    2009-09-26 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD